Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
secretplayer

If I get Klipschorn AK6 - What sub and why?

Recommended Posts

On 5/4/2020 at 6:29 AM, secretplayer said:

Chris - link looks interesting but attempt to reach it netted:

 

Online Threat Prevention

We blocked this phishing page for your protection: https://data-bass.com/ Accessed by: brave.exe
 
SP

https://data-bass.com/#/systems?_k=fv46cb                     try this one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I use active subs. Crossed at 65 or 70 Hz with 6 or 12 dB slope on the low pass filter. Think I like 12 better. But sometimes turn on just the sub and listen. 

  I think the relative importance of subs is overstated. Feel all Klipsch Heritage speakers benefit if supplemented by a good sub. But even sealed subs can output strong bass. 

  Depends on levels listened too. I listen below 100 dB, usually 10dB below, this does not require a sub the size of a deep freezer to fill in the bottom. If playing at rock concert levels a horn loaded sub would be the ticket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 7:35 AM, DizRotus said:

 

^^^^^^  I agree with Chris.

I agree with Chris too, except I had the Super Spuds, called DTS-10's and now I have done a 17 cubic foot version of the Gjallarhorn, refolded. It will end up better that 2 DTS-10's in terms of output. PM me and I can send you the plans and cut sheet....................but you'll have to find suitable drivers, unless you make me an offer I can't refuse for mine, since I have so many sub drivers that are in the "monster" category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

  I use active subs. Crossed at 65 or 70 Hz with 6 or 12 dB slope on the low pass filter. Think I like 12 better. But sometimes turn on just the sub and listen. 

  I think the relative importance of subs is overstated. Feel all Klipsch Heritage speakers benefit if supplemented by a good sub. But even sealed subs can output strong bass. 

  Depends on levels listened too. I listen below 100 dB, usually 10dB below, this does not require a sub the size of a deep freezer to fill in the bottom. If playing at rock concert levels a horn loaded sub would be the ticket.

Sealed subs do work, but they require lots of excursion and therefore lots of Power, which nowadays is not a problem. You will just need more of them to do what a horn sub will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I agree with Chris too, except I had the Super Spuds, called DTS-10's and now I have done a 17 cubic foot version of the Gjallarhorn, refolded. It will end up better that 2 DTS-10's in terms of output. PM me and I can send you the plans and cut sheet....................but you'll have to find suitable drivers, unless you make me an offer I can't refuse for mine, since I have so many sub drivers that are in the "monster" category.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/topic/41-gjallarhorn-version-2/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, Panelhead said:

I listen below 100 dB, usually 10dB below, this does not require a sub the size of a deep freezer to fill in the bottom.

 

I think the 1502 really shines at low volumes as well as when cranked up. I told Roy that when purchasing Jubilees the 1502 should just be part of the package. What a difference it makes with the proper tone that is Db independent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

 

I told Roy that when purchasing Jubilees the 1502 should just be part of the package. What a difference it makes with the proper tone that is Db independent.

did you ever find out what the 1502 cost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

did you ever find out what the 1502 cost

 

PM'ed you - check your forum mailbox.

 

Also moved my McIntosh MC30's to drive the 402's last weekend. Amazing, just amazing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all that have added their opinions and thoughts here. Mr. wallet is being approached now.

 

In the end it is for me to figure out what I like best. So far that trumps (sorry) all else for me.

 

War Story I better understand now - Circa 1978):

 

I asked the man what he did when he visited any local Hi-Fi Emporium and listened to their offerings..

 

After some considerable grumblings and snorts he advised:

"Always go in and ask to hear (any) applicable cut with a lot of deep bass.

After hearing the selection several times upon asking if the sales guy could repeat them over again -

they would ask ' 'What are you listening to?' 

My response was ... I thought I heard a a little of the Fundamental sneaking in there"

 

I can't tell what the correct 25 hz organ pedal note is supposed to sound like in a specific church BUT I do know what I enjoy.

 

It usually involves internal human organ quivering. 

 

The man was Paul.

 

My guess at this point is a pair of Jubilees minus the tweeters and a matching set of KPT-1802's - with a lot of speaker cloth.

 

Crossovers are TBD with good advice on set up and type.

 

 

320546413_Klipsch5.78310.thumb.jpg.3bf6e908606be1fba0fd9daae1f774bb.jpg

          Special test at Klipsch 1978 in their outdoor anechoic testing area

 

 

SP

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, secretplayer said:

Where can I find a Jubilee and 1802 to audition?

Contact Kevin Harmon. You won’t be disappointed. Kharmondds@aol.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 6:21 AM, mikebse2a3 said:


The KPT-1802-HLS is a “ Horn-Loaded vented cabinet design “   Not a horn loaded tapped sub which is a very different design.


https://www.klipsch.com/pro/cinema/cinema-subwoofers

 

miketn

Agreed, if you have the space for only one sub, let it be the 1802!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 9:20 AM, secretplayer said:

Bottom octave - Babbitt octave. I live there a lot. Its a Detroit thing.

What? No James Jamerson? But then again, you don't need a sub to handle the open low string on a P-bass, it's only 41 Hz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClaudeJ1:

 

Thought THAT far back would be too much for most folks. Detroiter here.

 

Jamerson #1 - Babbitt #2.

 

NEED a good sub into the low 30's to taste the strings.

 

Quiver you liver below to 20 is even better also. Think 1801 Telarc CD.

 

I'm used to VMPS IIa/Rs.

 

OMG!!!

 

SP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...