Guns Guns Guns

NADman

9 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

For a 50, 60, 70 year old to try to defend against three 20 something yo? 

I've test fired 9mm hollow points in a large water container with my cop friend, just to see.

The thought of putting even one of those expanding bullets into another human being is the very LAST thing I would ever do. With great power comes great responsibility not to abuse it. 99.99% of LEGAL gun owners never will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Hope none of us have to, but if there is no other choice... 

He's prepared, like many of my friends are. You don't need to have lived in Detroit for this, but it helps.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, billybob said:

Don't think a silencer. May be a muzzle blast retarder...

Silencers are 100% Legal in the USA, requires a tax stamp, $200 I think and an FBI background check and sub sonic rounds. A silencer quiets the expanding gasses of the round fired but can't do anything to the sonic crack of the bullet if it is over the speed of sound, arround 1160 feet per second.

Roger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Islander said:

Most of the sound of a gunshot is the sonic boom as the bullet flies at supersonic speed.  Suppressors are meant to work in combination with special subsonic ammunition, and then the sound of the shot is reduced.  The thing about that ammunition is it’s not great for anything other than situations where the shooter doesn’t want to be heard.  This could be the case of shooting clubs that don’t want to disturb their neighbours, but that’s absout the only logical legal use.

Like silence in the absence of sound. Or vibration because of

blast induced..Think you are saying always a measurable

to infinity response..

If so I agree or.

Pleasure, thanks.!

• Like 1

Just now, twistedcrankcammer said:

Silencers are 100% Legal in the USA, requires a tax stamp, $200 I think and an FBI background check and sub sonic rounds. A silencer quiets the expanding gasses of the round fired but can't do anything to the sonic crack of the bullet if it is over the speed of sound, arround 1160 feet per second.

Roger

Right on. Your comment is more complete than mine was. Except for New Jersey, New York, and California, oh and Illinois.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I disagree. The idea is not to die, and perps rarely work alone.

Actually, perpetrators of mass shootings do usually “work” alone.  The Columbine high school massacre and the Washington sniper shootings are very rare examples of two probably deranged individuals cooperating to kill a large number of people.  The sadly usual case involves a single man (almost always a man) with a grudge against a group (his bosses and co-workers, his school or college, etc.). As far as I know, there have no “team” shootings like that in Canada, unless you count the shooting spree across Canada last summer by the two teenagers who killed three victims and later killed each other in a suicide pact.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

Though I don't agree with you that Trudeau's ban "won't make one damn bit of difference", we can agree that it certainly doesn't get to the heart of the problem... the romanticizing and borderline fetichism of guns and gun violence, which is, sadly, so pervasive in American culture.

not sure where in Canada you live , But TORONTO has a serious 2020 gun problem with gangs and the illegal guns numbers are on the rise , in 10 years time TORONTO will be just as illegally armed as any other City in the USA ----American culture and weapons also goes with the amount of illegal guns in the USA -------if criminals own a lot of guns , so must the Law Abiding Citizens be allowed to defend themselves

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I've test fired 9mm hollow points in a large water container with my cop friend, just to see.

The thought of putting even one of those expanding bullets into another human being is the very LAST thing I would ever do. With great power comes great responsibility not to abuse it. 99.99% of LEGAL gun owners never will.

Besides, my daughter was an Emergency Room Nurse in Downtown Detroit Henry Ford Hospital, and her husband was a paramedic. He told me that when you hear of 1 or 2 people getting shot (which is almost daily), there are 10 more you will not hear about on the news.

3 minutes ago, Islander said:

Actually, perpetrators of mass shootings do usually “work” alone.  The Columbine high school massacre and the Washington sniper shootings are very rare examples of two probably deranged individuals cooperating to kill a large number of people.  The sadly usual case involves a single man (almost always a man) with a grudge against a group (his bosses and co-workers, his school or college, etc.). As far as I know, there have no “team” shootings like that in Canada, unless you count the shooting spree across Canada last summer by the two teenagers who killed three victims and later killed each other in a suicide pact.

I was referring to a self defense scenario against 1-4 teen agers, not a mass shooter, which is usually pre-meditated months in advance and very RARE. Referring to USA, not Canada where all crime is lower.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I've test fired 9mm hollow points in a large water container. The thought of putting even one of those expanding bullets into another human being is the very LAST thing I would ever do. With great power comes great responsibility not to abuse it. 99.99% of LEGAL gun owners never will.

Say that again, I can relate. No law abiding human wants to be anything other than to be a law abiding human... IMHO. Training.. safety training, ...training and more training and more safety... and more training. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

We have more guns than people . Mass shootings shouldn't take away from your freedom but . I applaud Canada for doing something we should have done almost 40 years ago !

any tom dilck and harry can own 50 guns ------that's the problem

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 000 said:

not sure where in Canada you live , But TORONTO has a serious 2020 gun problem with gangs and the illegal guns numbers are on the rise , in 10 years time TORONTO will be just as illegally armed as any other City in the USA ----American culture and weapons also goes with the amount of illegal guns in the USA -------if criminals own a lot of guns , so must the Law Abiding Citizens be allowed to defend themselves

The answer to a gun problem is not adding more guns to the situation, it’s to reduce the number of guns.  Most of the illegal weapons in Canada are imported from the US by smugglers.  Hopefully, the new bill will do something to reduce the number of weapons crossing the border.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 000 said:

if criminals own a lot of guns , so must the Law Abiding Citizens be allowed to defend themselves

Precisely why I'm not a fan of Trudeau or Bloomberg in the USA, who spends $1,000,000 per month getting "experts" to massage statistics and pay them for a "favorable" conclusion. 99% BS.

1 minute ago, Islander said:

The answer to a gun problem is not adding more guns to the situation, it’s to reduce the number of guns.  Most of the illegal weapons in Canada are imported from the US by smugglers.  Hopefully, the new bill will do something to reduce the number of weapons crossing the border.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1 minute ago, 000 said:

I was alluding to exactly this in my earlier posts, but I loath to think that the only solution is for law abiding citizens to arm themselves. Sigh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I was alluding to exactly this in my earlier posts, but I loath to think that the only solution is for law abiding citizens to arm themselves. Sigh.

There will always be insanity, evil, and poor people, even though we try to prevent their actions from affecting us, they will always find a way.  Even if all arms from the US were stopped from entering Canada, they would just enter from another place like Mexico or Europe. It's like this "War on Drugs" BS. It hasn't worked, because there's too much MONEY to be made. Period.

18 minutes ago, 000 said:
33 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

And they will do it with machetes, viruses, trucks and more. IMHO, it's the peaceful society of accepting of anything. I am all for blaming the machete, hammer or truck, if removing them will stop crime...... and I am for all other law abiding humans to be able to protect ourselves, even if that includes more than one assailant.  No law abiding citizen, that I know about, is for criminal anything. 

you are very right -----

About what?

3 minutes ago, Islander said:

you can't stop smuggling , it's on the super rise  in ONTARIO  , the Bill does have positive aspects for sure in gun reduction , but that drives the market of illegal guns underground even more -------