Guns Guns Guns

NADman

I hope I never have to shoot someone, but I hope I shoot any SOB who threatens my life; that's why I carry a gun.

Invasion? Yesterday, on the front page of our El Dorado (Arkansas) News-Times was a picture of one of three young idiots who invaded a home while armed. The home owner got to a gun and held one at gunpoint until the police arrived. Another one ran out of the house in front of a police car and was apprehended. The third got publicity after being caught later. 

SSH

• Like 3

Most of the sound of a gunshot is the sonic boom as the bullet flies at supersonic speed.  Suppressors are meant to work in combination with special subsonic ammunition, and then the sound of the shot is reduced.  The thing about that ammunition is it’s not great for anything other than situations where the shooter doesn’t want to be heard.  This could be the case of shooting clubs that don’t want to disturb their neighbours, but that’s absout the only logical legal use.

A .22 with a silencer is perfect for not alerting every squirrel in the woods when you take a shot !

!!

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Bull Shit !

Have you ever hunted squirrels ??

A .22 with a silencer is perfect for not alerting every squirrel in the woods when you take a shot !

Tired of educating people who talk but don't know !!

Roger

I have not ever hunted squirrels.  I must admit that I had not thought about how a silenced .22 could come in handy for hunting squirrels.  Sorry about that.  BTW, don’t you have to shoot quite a few squirrels to feed your family?  Or if you don’t shoot them for food, is it because they’re an invasive variety, like when red squirrels invade a black squirrel region?

Or do you hunt squirrels for the fun of using your gun, when it’s the wrong season, or it’s too much trouble and expense to drive some distance to hunt larger animals, like deer?

• Like 2

It would take a lot of squirrels if that was all that you ate.

Quite?  I hunt them with a benjamin sheridan 20 cal. air rifle. 

Most who hunt to put food on the table likes variety. Rabbits. squirrel , deer, game birds even fish are all on the menu.

• Like 2

IMO a logical aproach to the mass shooting problem would be to eliminate all of the cheap military surplus full metal jacket ammunition. If 5.56 ammo cost $20-25 for a box of 20 like other calibers people would be less likely to stockpile  thousands of rounds.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, richieb said:

No worries Rich, you’ve got a one-in-fifty chance. This hand goes to the house —

No, it's 50/50. When was the last time you heard of the South Dakota militia or a baby killing party mom from Kansas?

If it's lunatics in the news it is Michigan or Florida. Take it to the bank.

AR-15s are a sporting rifle like Maseratis are just cars for driving around. Small penis syndrome for sure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, rplace said:

AR-15s are a sporting rifle like Maseratis are just cars for driving around. Small penis syndrome for sure.

The size of my best friend has nothing to do with it. Riding a fast motorcycle (I used to race) does require large brass balls that make other parts look small. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skelt said:

IMO a logical aproach to the mass shooting problem would be to eliminate all of the cheap military surplus full metal jacket ammunition. If 5.56 ammo cost $20-25 for a box of 20 like other calibers people would be less likely to stockpile  thousands of rounds.

Legal-Gun-Owners.jpg.d90a2295a8262dc0d59aa77b01a73543.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I've test fired 9mm hollow points in a large water container with my cop friend, just to see.

The thought of putting even one of those expanding bullets into another human being is the very LAST thing I would ever do. With great power comes great responsibility not to abuse it. 99.99% of LEGAL gun owners never will.

When I read about ammo, some of the information bothers me in that I really really don't want to hurt anyone. The flip side to the goal is that if someone does need to be shot, to reduce the chance of collateral damage. This goes into making sure the ammo isn't too hot and that the bullet perform properly. The site that I linked covers that nicely.

I have taken a few shooting classes. A couple were very basic and a few were very intense.  It has changed my training / practicing in many ways.  I have trained many friends and family, passing along some of what I have learned. At the end of the day, all of the training (get the finger off of the trigger, shooting from the ready & from the draw, get the finger off of the trigger,  re-holstering / re-pursing, not flinching, re-magging, get the finger off of the trigger,  timing, and such) all revolves around safety for the ones who don't need to be shot.  At no point has any of my training involved getting ready to hold up a bank, shoot up a church or anything illegal. 

A few years ago in a neighboring Township two guys were target shooting AR 15s at paper targets with no back stop other than a couple hundred yards of woods. Some of the rounds hit a house about a mile away. They were arrested but the judge let then off because they were part time LEOs  and had  training on firearms. They just made an error in judgment on the what is a proper back stop.

6 hours ago, Islander said:

I have not ever hunted squirrels.  I must admit that I had not thought about how a silenced .22 could come in handy for hunting squirrels.  Sorry about that.  BTW, don’t you have to shoot quite a few squirrels to feed your family?  Or if you don’t shoot them for food, is it because they’re an invasive variety, like when red squirrels invade a black squirrel region?

Or do you hunt squirrels for the fun of using your gun, when it’s the wrong season, or it’s too much trouble and expense to drive some distance to hunt larger animals, like deer?

For never hunting Squirrels, you are quite thoughtful on this. I shoot basically two kinds of squirrels. I can shoot both squirrels and Deer locally. Squirrels are tasty and I hunt Fox Squirrels, which are a larger squirrels species, but it still takes at least two fox squirrels to equal one rabbit. There were zero Coyotes around here when I was growing up. Feral Dogs, yes, but no Coyotes. The Coyotes have descimated the rabbit population around here. I took my daughter rabbit hunting for the first time a number of years back and we hunted all day and never saw a single rabbit. I also slaughter Red Jimmy squirrels. Red Jimmy's are a lot smaller, nothing to eat, but they sneak up on Fox squirrels and bight them on their scrotum and sterilize them, so you treat them like a feral cat when you are hunting. Squirrel meat is not a staple, it is a nice change of pace once in a while. Kind of like Frog Lags or Crawfish...  :D

Roger

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Skelt said:

A few years ago in a neighboring Township two guys were target shooting AR 15s at paper targets with no back stop other than a couple hundred yards of woods. Some of the rounds hit a house about a mile away. They were arrested but the judge let then off because they were part time LEOs  and had  training on firearms. They just made an error in judgment on the what is a proper back stop.

Can't help stupid, sometimes and accidents will happen. There are endless sad stories, Ex: Dad shoots son while hunting, man shoots neighbor thinking it was a deer, etc... I hate them all. This is where training is needed. 

There are other sad stories where families are killed in auto accidents and loved ones killed who were a passengers on motorcycles, etc... I hate that it happens. I, just a few weeks ago, sold to my son his first motorcycle. He wanted to take it to his place to practice riding when and where he can. Before I let him take it, I lead him on a few hour ride with lots of situations that advanced him well beyond parking lot practice. After that ride, he was a lot better prepared and I feel better.... I still worry and always will.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Skelt said:

Locally, I belonged to two separate gun clubs, and what follows next proves why guns should NOT only be in the hands of only military and Law Enforcement. The County Sheriffs office always practiced at the one gun club. The County Sheriffs office was permanently kicked out of the club when it was discovered that it was them who was intentionally shooting trains when they would roll past the club. Also. when the Sheriffs office  changed from .38 special revolvers to semi Autos, their instructor was inside his house, practicing his quick draw with his holster but the gun was loaded and he accidentally discharged a round that went through the wall and into the shower and permanently paralyzed his wife. Also, the first few months they had their semi autos an officer discharged 14 rounds down an alley at a suspect and never even hit the guy. I personally know the sheriff  departments SWAT team sniper and I am a better shot....

Roger

7 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

There were zero Coyotes around here when I was growing up. Feral Dogs, yes, but no Coyotes. The Coyotes have descimated the rabbit population around here.

Same here. They have more than once tried to lure my dog out so that they can kill her. In her prime, she could have whipped any two of them, now she needs a force multiplier to hold them off. I have used one of my AR to do just that, more than once. 

coyote.thumb.jpg.08b213eb3d06c556e465a4c51c4232bb.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Legal-Gun-Owners.jpg.d90a2295a8262dc0d59aa77b01a73543.jpg

I have between 3,000 and 5,000 rounds on hand at all times. I would have more, if I were still able to work. Hell, I used to carry 1,400 rounds on hand just for .44 magnum. I have a 6 shot revolver and I used to shoot between 200 to 800 rounds in one day, every weekend, 6 rounds every time I loaded her and I hand loaded every round myself on my bench.

Roger

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Islander said:

While it may be impossible to totally eliminate smuggling, that’s no reason to just give up and stop trying.  Each gun stopped at the border may be a life saved, because they’re being bought by gang members who intend to kill people.

On second thought, maybe those illegally imported and owned handguns do save lives, like when gang members brandish them to intimidate members of other gangs.  Of course the members of the second gang could just return with bigger weapons to brandish at the members of the first gang, like it’s a street gang arms race.  That doesn’t sound like it would end well, so let’s keep trying to stop guns from being sneaked into Canada.

This is no different than just say "NO" to drugs!

Laws and trying hasn't stopped much now has it ??

Do you think that Guns have killed anywhere near the vicinity of those killed by over the counter opioid's ??

Roger

10 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

So were being invaded ? By whom ?

We were not being invaded by anyone in 1776 either, we were British colony's under England's rule. The Colony's fought back against a tyrannical government and THAT is why we have the second amendment. I suggest you fully read ALL of the constitution. You will find the whole thing is about limiting Governments Power to keep them from stepping on individuals rights, NOT about giving government power to control the populace !!

• Like 2