Guns Guns Guns

NADman

The Taurus Judge. Dang if I want to get shot with one. Coat or no coat. That 410 gauge slug in a handgun is devastating. Nevermind it's ability to easily

Penetrate flesh, but the sheer muzzle blast from that gun is enough to make your day. Aside

from penetration, to be hit anywhere by the slug is enough to break bones and knock an assailant down.

The gun itself is a deterrent.

Maybe not my choice for home protection, but certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Feel that like in America, some Canadians have home protection.

And why not...

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

The Taurus Judge. Dang if I want to get shot with one. Coat or no coat. That 410 gauge slug in a handgun is devastating. Nevermind it's ability to easily

Penetrate flesh, but the sheer muzzle blast from that gun is enough to make your day. Aside

from penetration, to be hit anywhere by the slug is enough to break bones and knock an assailant down.

And why not...

I have heard that in some states that if you’re caught with a Taurus Judge loaded with 410 shells that it’s considered a sawed-off shotgun. Anyone know for certain?

1 minute ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I have heard that in some states that if you’re caught with a Taurus Judge loaded with 410 shells that it’s considered a sawed-off shotgun. Anyone know for certain?

I would keep it at home.

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

And why not...

The whole sales pitch for the gun is that it shoots shot shells but that won't pernitrate and are not accurate at any kind of distance with that ity bity snub nose barrel.

Now as for 3 inch .410 slugs ?? Would you please explain to me what you think a .410 slug, with slower burning shotgun powder is going to be able to do that a .45 colt with faster burning handgun powder and a higher velocity out that teeny tiny snub nose barrel will do. Plus that gun is heavy as hell, unwieldy as hell, and that cylinder length turns into barrel length and less weight on my .44 Magnum, plus with my hand loads, I have shot two cylinders or 12 rounds off of sand bags at 150 Yards and covered the entire group of 12 with my closed fist. Let me see anyone do that with a .410 slug out of a judge !!!

4 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I have not heard that but it sure would not surprise me out of New York or Commiefornia...

Roger

38 minutes ago, billybob said:

I would keep it at home.

There isn't a thing that a Tarus Judge or the Smith & Wesson Copy will do that an 11-87 Remington Semi Auto 12 gauge wont do better with an 18 inch, smooth bore slug barrel and riffle sites from Hastings and an aftermarket extended tubular magazine extension will do with 3 inch magnum shells for home protection inside your home...

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I would suspect that depends where you live.... I grew up on a 1,250 acre farm and since there are 640 acres in one square mile, that is pretty close to 2 square miles. How many acres do you own and is your closest neighbor about a half mile away ??

Roger

I know rural (not that it has anything to with the discussion) and a thing or two about guns.  I grew up on 2,000 acres with another 1,200 leased ground in Western Colorado. I’ve worked in remote areas around the world.  I mostly reside near a metropolis of 30,000 now but also have a small ranch further north - I posted a few pictures of that neighborhood here:

(lower on the page)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147343-show-us-your-great-photography-thread/page/250/#comments

It’s about a mile and a half from our porch to our barns.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

The whole sales pitch for the gun is that it shoots shot shells but that won't pernitrate and are not accurate at any kind of distance with that ity bity snub nose barrel.

Now as for 3 inch .410 slugs ?? Would you please explain to me what you think a .410 slug, with slower burning shotgun powder is going to be able to do that a .45 colt with faster burning handgun powder and a higher velocity out that teeny tiny snub nose barrel will do. Plus that gun is heavy as hell, unwieldy as hell, and that cylinder length turns into barrel length and less weight on my .44 Magnum, plus with my hand loads, I have shot two cylinders or 12 rounds off of sand bags at 150 Yards and covered the entire group of 12 with my closed fist. Let me see anyone do that with a .410 slug out of a judge !!!

Not my first choice in home protection as mentioned. Short range delivery. For home protection, I would prefer something else.

If one on hand, would use it, instead of just say to myself, oh it is completely useless. I am not going to test it to find out.

• Like 1

Years ago, well before guns became a political talking point, I was in the liquor business with a couple package stores. A string of night robberies and the shooting of a clerk had police taking position in different stores hoping for a break. I asked them if I should have a gun easy to access, although at that time I had little to no experience with a handgun. They strongly advised against it but if I “had” to arm myself it they said buy a 12 gauge, sawed off to legal limits. Chances are you won’t miss - point and fire. 

And let me say that I was robbed at gunpoint behind the cash counter. I’m all in for carry and the right to arm yourself but if any of you think having a gun close or on your body while the bad guy pulls a gun instead of a billfold, you are already fuc—. Once he has the drop, a gun pointed in your face trust me, reaching for a gun will be the last things you ever do. Don’t care how well trained or what a tough guy you think you are - it ain’t happinin- 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

While that’s fine shooting and all, if the reason someone has a Judge is for “home defense,” I’m guessing that a four-foot pattern at 10 feet (I’m not sure if that’s an exaggeration or not) should do the trick.   I have lived and worked in some pretty sketchy areas but never felt the need to carry.  I own what some might consider a lot of guns but I would only consider one of those (a Wilson Combat modified Beretta 92G) a “weapon” and it was a gift.  I don’t own anything that I feel is worth killing someone to protect; however, if someone comes after my family or even my dog, there would be lead flying.  The cat would be on his own.

• Like 2

Back to the subject.  While I am a gun owner and use them for hunting and varmint control and I enjoy competitive shooting and reloading, I would not be opposed to abiding by sensible restrictions.  Seems like most people that I know who carry have no problem with the permit requirements and I wouldn’t have a problem if some sort of licensing were required to own a gun - similar to obtaining a driver’s license including passing a proficiency test.  I don’t see how either concept infringes on anyone’s 2nd Amendment rights.  I think there are valid points on both sides of the AR/black gun arguments; however as an example, I think those Michigan protestors abused and should lose any 2nd Amendment right they claim when they entered a government building (the State Capitol Building no less) with weapons in a transparent attempt to provoke a confrontation - they’re idiots and responsible gun owners should condemn that stunt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sputnik said:

I know rural (not that it has anything to with the discussion) and a thing or two about guns.  I grew up on 2,000 acres with another 1,200 leased ground in Western Colorado. I’ve worked in remote areas around the world.  I mostly reside near a metropolis of 30,000 now but also have a small ranch further north - I posted a few pictures of that neighborhood here:

(lower on the page)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147343-show-us-your-great-photography-thread/page/250/#comments

It’s about a mile and a half from our porch to our barns.

Love your Ranch ... Can you raise anything besides Cattle ?? What does land out there bring an acre ??

Sorry I took so long. I had to give my Autistic Son a  Bath and a Shower, then I took a shower and my Sugar went low so I laid down for a while.

Roger

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Love your Ranch ... Can you raise anything besides Cattle ?? What does land out there bring an acre ??

Sorry I took so long. I had to give my Autistic Son a  Bath and a Shower, then I took a shower and my Sugar went low so I laid down for a while.

Roger

Just cattle really, it’s OK for range land but the prime wheat country begins about 50 miles north, the soil here is glacial outwash and is very rocky.  We’ve been leasing the place out but it’s been overgrazed and we’re letting it recover this year - I’d like to re-establish native prairie grass and I don’t need to make a living off of it.  We’re letting an outfitter run a few horses on it now but they graze closer to the ground than cows so we’ll see how that goes.  Another neighbor just put in a pivot irrigation system for alfalfa but that’s about it and you can buy a lot good hay for what that thing cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Bad approach, I'm guessing you have no experience with guns in general. FMJ rounds are friendly rounds, lead tipped and hollow points, not so much. 

Get's old watching politicians grab at anything then trying to rationalize their actions or approach, their proposals do nothing to stop the bad guys from getting guns and killing people. You need only research gun violence within the City's and States that enforce the strictest gun ownership laws in the nation..... I think you'll find they're also the City's and States with the highest incidences of gun violence.

Wrong guess.

Grew up around guns.

No place for fmj bullets when hunting. 

Fmj are far more likely to ricochet than soft pointed ones.  Armor piercing military surplus even more so.

Lead tipped bullets not freindly for what is on the business end. 

Soft bullets are much easier to stop

06 fmj bullets will shoot thru a box of magazines.  Armor piercing 8mm Mauser  will penatrate 1/2 rail road steel and are stupid cheap 

I use a 30-06 for varmints.  Pointed soft point boattail 150 gr. hand loaded to around 2800 fps.  Sure it's overkill and loud but I'm always sure of my back stop

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Just cattle really, it’s OK for range land but the prime wheat country begins about 50 miles north, the soil here is glacial outwash and is very rocky.  We’ve been leasing the place out but it’s been overgrazed and we’re letting it recover this year - I’d like to re-establish native prairie grass and I don’t need to make a living off of it.  We’re letting an outfitter run a few horses on it now but they graze closer to the ground than cows so we’ll see how that goes.  Another neighbor just put in a pivot irrigation system for alfalfa but that’s about it and you can buy a lot good hay for what that thing cost.

When I grew up on the farm as a kid, our School system was shaped like a high school with 186 square miles in a school district with 5 elementary schools feeding into one High School with about 800 students in the high School. My bus ride was 1 hour and 45 minutes to the Elementary every day, one way. I was one of the last ones off at night and one of the first ones in the morning on though, two kids after and before us..  :D

Roger

2 hours ago, sputnik said:

While that’s fine shooting and all, if the reason someone has a Judge is for “home defense,” I’m guessing that a four-foot pattern at 10 feet (I’m not sure if that’s an exaggeration or not) should do the trick.   I have lived and worked in some pretty sketchy areas but never felt the need to carry.  I own what some might consider a lot of guns but I would only consider one of those (a Wilson Combat modified Beretta 92G) a “weapon” and it was a gift.  I don’t own anything that I feel is worth killing someone to protect; however, if someone comes after my family or even my dog, there would be lead flying.  The cat would be on his own.

If all I had was a judge for home defense and it was loaded with a 3  inch .410 with #4 shot, I would aim for the face !!

Roger

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

When I grew up on the farm as a kid, our School system was shaped like a high school with 186 square miles in a school district with 5 elementary schools feeding into one High School with about 800 students in the high School. My bus ride was 1 hour and 45 minutes to the Elementary every day, one way. I was one of the last ones off at night and one of the first ones in the morning on though, two kids after and before us..  :D

Roger

Same for me but they would’ve put me on the short bus anywhere I lived

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

If all I had was a judge for home defense and it was loaded with a 3  inch .410 with #4 shot, I would aim for the face !!

Roger

Here’s a good video.  The .410 ammo he shot does much better than I ever thought but then again, Jerry is the man.

• Like 2