entry into home surround

Running_on_M&T

I am looking at the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 surround sound system offered at my local Costco for my first surround speakers. I also want to add a set of bookshelf speakers, R-41M's, to this system for a 7.1 surround system. it will be going in a small living room and connected to an Onkyo TX-NR686 I picked up pretty cheap at Best Buy. my budget for speakers isn't great. looking to hear any advice on this setup, if it will work? or any other ideas.  thanks.

-UPDATE-

well I went a totally different direction after doing quite a bit of reading on these forums.  not to mention I was able to find some really good prices online.  here is what I currently have and what I am still waiting for in shipping.

Klipsch R-51M  front left and right

Klipsch R-34C  center

Klipsch R-41M back surround

Klipsch R-41M height (not sure if front or back yet)

Klipsch R-100SW

I power all of them with an Onkyo TX NR696

I am waiting for the R-41M's to be delivered

so now to update my question, should I set up for 5.1.2 or go 7.1?

Edited by Running_on_M&T
  • Like 1

If you could post room size, H x L x W. Are there open areas like hallways or open kitchen ect. Pics of the room where HT is to be set up would also help.

Needed info to detrrmine how /which set up (7.1or 5.1)is best for your room.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 6:09 PM, Lbk said:

If you could post room size, H x L x W. Are there open areas like hallways or open kitchen ect. Pics of the room where HT is to be set up would also help.

Needed info to detrrmine how /which set up (7.1or 5.1)is best for your room.

living room is rectangular shape. outside wall is 17 ft, front wall is 15 ft with a bay window. interior walls are as follows.  wall opposite of outside wall is 13 ft. structure wall opposite side of front is 10 ft. vaulted roof starts at 7.5 ft tall on bay wall and peaks at 10 ft on structure wall.  diagonal opening to dining and hall is 6 ft opening. structure wall has opening of 26 inches height

IMG_20200509_101543 small.jpg

IMG_20200509_101457 small.jpg

IMG_20200509_101557 small.jpg

Would it be possible to move the tv to the wall left of where it is now. If so I would do a 5.1with front height speakers.  

The way the room is now you have the distance for a 7.1, but rear speakers might be to close to people on sofa.The side speakers I think would be hard to balance since they would be mounted an unequal distance off center.

I would switch tv/furniture to the short wall and set up as 5.1 with front height. The way it is now on the long wall I think it might be hard to get the speakers to balance correctly.