La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

So I just bought and set up my new pair of La Scala AL5 Natural Cherry A Stock speakers. I do have to say that Klipsch has made it a very very painful experience for me. I wanted the best my room size and configuration could handle and for me it was the AL5s. I love the sound and the cabinets are beautiful. The very painful part was the $12,000 plus tax about $800. New La Scala II if you find them go for half that. I really feel I have been taken advantage of on the pricing. The depreciation of these will be brutal. I mean I will probably lose 2/3rd of my purchase price in very short order. Three or four years to loose $8000. It really is abusive. Comments?

• Confused 1

You did not have to buy them.  Unless a gun was involved, you decided what you would pay.  I understand your desire to have paid less;  I would never have paid anything close to that for your speakers.

I kind of fancy a new mid-engine C8 Corvette.  Perhaps if I berate GM they’ll sell me one at a price I name.

• Like 7

Brick and mortar stores along with online purchase sale prices can be found if willing to spend a bit of extra time, probably would have saved enough to buy some nice extra components. You can always shoot out an offer as well or work out a better price.

• Like 4

just a pair of La scala AL5 and complaining already. What about those who paid $200,000 for Avangarde that has a bass bin so big that would not fit in the living room of an old house and they have to buy newer 10 feet ceiling house that built from year 2000 onward. Plus all of the equipments that can produce the "best sound" should come with it. ie Audionote Kondo Japan or British made turntable.... for another $200,000. if one has the budget for it I say enjoy your system with no regret. The AL5 is an updated of the LS II and has furniture grade that will not be outdated overtime, unlike some fancy nancy speakers that cost substantially more but does not produce any "better sound".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Depreciation on ANY NEW audio component is brutal... it's not indicative of the Klipsch brand. GTFO with that misguided assessment.

As a matter of 'FACT(s)'... once depreciated and stabilized, Klipsch holds value EXTREMELY well and stable... Over many decades in many instances.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, GlennyC said:

Well why are new La Scala IIs $7000. Are the AL5s really a $5000 upgrade?

who cares... Do you actually do any due diligence prior to making a high value purchase?

• Like 3

Just now, GlennyC said:

I did my research. I went in with open eyes. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t very painful. I hope you aren’t saying AL5 customers are all idiots?

No,I couldn't possibly say that.

• Haha 3

To the OP, a number of us are not understanding what actually happened and when. 

1. Was this a purchase that happened very recently (i.e., within the last few months)?

2.  At the time of the purchase, were the La Scala IIs available for sale? Were they both available locally or via the internet?

3. Were you aware of the La Scala IIs as an option?

4. Are you aware that when you buy a new car, as soon as you drive it off the lot, it drops in price (most things depreciate)?

I'll be honest and brutal. Right now, it looks like you need to point the finger at yourself and not someone else. 

What are we not understanding?

On a happier note, if you like the way these sound in your house, then you should be happy. The depreciation will sort itself out since you will probably keep them for a very long time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes I am a stupid loyal Klipsch customer. I am pointing the finger at myself. Buyer beware. Klipsch will rake you over the coals and extract maximum dollars from you if you want their high end. Klipsch deserves not to be called out for this. They could give a crap. It all on me. 

• Confused 2

I really don't understand either.  Is $12,000.00 + sales tax a lot of coin?  You bet.  Did you know what they cost before you pulled the trigger?  Yes you did.  I get it, they "should not" cost that much and they probably are not over $4500.00 "better" than the La Scala IIs.  Only Klipsch knows the true reason/s for the price hike.  Maybe now all parts are mfr'd and sourced here in the US and that may contribute some.  If you did not buy directly from Klipsch, maybe the finger could be pointed towards the dealer.  Maybe his/her sales have dropped off the earth due to COVID19 and needs to feed the family.  Or maybe just wanted to make a big profit.  I can't say.

I am sorry you feel this way and may feel a bit demonized for sharing your grievances, but I am sure it is no one's intentions to pile on.

If you can get past all this, kick back and enjoy the music.

Bill

• Like 2