La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

51 minutes ago, GlennyC said:

Yes I am a stupid loyal Klipsch customer. I am pointing the finger at myself. Buyer beware. Klipsch will rake you over the coals and extract maximum dollars from you if you want their high end. Klipsch deserves not to be called out for this. They could give a crap. It all on me. 

Finally, you are making sense.

• Like 4

Yes. I just needed to vent. It would be “nice” if Klipsch was more “friendly” with their pricing. I am loving my speakers. They are awesome. I plan to have them forever. Just would have been nice to have such awesomeness for let’s say $8,000 or $9,000? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlennyC said:

I have 60 days. I got them from Crutchfield. But I’m keeping them. 

Crutchfield is a great company with excellent customer service but they are not the ones to go to for the best prices.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I doubt if I could cough up 12 -13k for a pair either. Too cheap. 

To me, Klipsch Heritage and McIntosh are bargains. MADE IN THE US. Cost is inline with other audio equipment. If I had the proper space a MC462 would be hooked up. 

Really need feel you have exaggerated price fall off. When I was looking two years ago used LS II were 6,500 - 7,000. The release of the AL5 hurt resale. It may be a long time, or never before there is a LS III or AL6. 

The size of the production runs drives pricing up and slows development.

Would not have purchased a new pair of LS II, but Schu let us know about a deal on some. Resale was never a consideration. Never plan to sell.

Look at other speaker options. A three way horn that weighs 200 lbs each is expensive. A 200 lb speaker is expensive.

Maybe what you now want is a pair of refurbed original La Scala’s. Entry point is 2 - 3K.

• Like 2

It all depends on how you look at it.  My 1982 Klipschorns cost $1450 each, or $2,900 a pair.  I replaced the mid horns with K401s   ($100/pair when I replaced them) and AK5 crossover networks.  Equivalent models are selling -- at a discount -- for $6,299 by Acoustic Sound Design.  I have had 38 years of glorious sound from them, playing music every day, and, now, about 3 movies/week, as well.  They still beat the pants off of any other speakers I've heard (I still haven't heard the Klipsch Jubilee).  They have been in a larger room (now both Music Room and Home Theater) for the last 9 years, and, after setting up Audyssey painstakingly, along with a Harmon-like House curve, they sound even better.  So, here are two of the possible ways to look at the situation:

1)  They seem to have appreciated some.  Equivalent pairs are being sold for $3,399 more ($6,299), by Acoustic Sound Design.    Amazon is charging more (AK5, $12,000, as a secondary dealer, and AK6 $15,000). 

2)  Or, plugging in inflation, I seem to have suffered about $1,300 loss, due to depreciation, for those 38 years of listening.  Now, this is just a seat of the pants estimate.   I'm pretty sure they would go for less because they are used, though have newer crossovers, etc ...  @wvu80 maintains a way to estimates used prices; perhaps he can tell us what my walnut Khorns, in apparently perfect condition, with replacement AK5 crossovers and replacement fiberglass (stock) K401 horns would be worth on the used market.  Of course, I have no intention of selling them, unless I get Jubilees right after winning the lottery.

image.png.99f4cc253fc8b65119264e7bdf6fa48f.pngimage.png.bf9b8e6fb7ee3215fe5faeeffbc99b29.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am content with my purchase. I would have been happy at a lower price. The price makes them bittersweet. Would I have liked this purchase to be a touchdown? Yes. It wasn’t. As I make more future income and replenish my accounts, the pain will diminish. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Schu said:

As a matter of 'FACT(s)'... once depreciated and stabilized, Klipsch holds value EXTREMELY well and stable... Over many decades in many instances.

Gots to agree with the @Schu.  The price I paid for my 1978 La Scala pair in 2017 was just a shade over the retail price when they were produced. So you will take an immediate hit, but you can enjoy them for a few decades and get yer money back when you upgrade.

• Like 3