La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

Here's some perspective: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/touring.html

Granted, you bought less than half the weight of even the lightest bike on that page, and the maximum exhilaration possibly available via the speakers may be less, but it's more consistent, any time of any day, snow, rain, or shine.  And don't forget the ongoing costs of fuel, maintenance, tags, insurance, and at least several hours several times a season cleaning and polishing...

Everything costs more over time as the built-in devaluation of the fiat dollar runs its course.  It's been said that a good horse or a nice 3-piece suit has always cost about an ounce of gold.  How much is that nowadays?  How many ounces of gold did it take to buy a nicely-finished pair of LaScalas in 1979 vs. today, I wonder? (https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/items/price-of-gold-in-1979)

5 hours ago, GlennyC said:

It’s all good. I’m just going to kick back and enjoy my new speakers. It would be nice if … …  more people could enjoy them. ..  Klipsch, you get what you deserve. 

5 hours ago, GlennyC said:

47C7796D-C68D-4489-AFA8-7B420F35F6E9.jpeg

Your system looks good. I quoted you above, but left out a few of your words, because I am an optimist.🙂 

• Like 2

I thought you had more class than that, Clorox? Lysol is far more aromatic and I believe benefits from additional aging, a much smoother toxin on the way down. Comparing Clorox to Lysol is like that of Old Buzzard 2 year to Weller Antique — stay classy Jimbo

I am not certain here why you are unhappy. The price was not hidden and you knew it up front before you spent a dime. I presume you heard them live before buying and decided at that time it was worth it. The price of a lot of the new audio bits and pieces is way higher than I would pay. All these higher end speaker companies charge a lot and that is because they can and in general I think Klipsch is a better value than many others.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GlennyC said:

I did my research. I went in with open eyes. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t very painful. I hope you aren’t saying AL5 customers are all idiots?

It seems you are implying it.  Wasn't it Stereophile that gave them their top rating.  I'd say that is rarefied territory and $12k is a bargain compared to other speakers in that category.  As expensive as they are, Klipsch has always played above their pay grade. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Yo! Zeus/Mark there is such a thing as too much corporate greed. You are such a fan boy apparently nothing is too much greed for you. There is a continuum of profit taking. Of course the company needs to make profit to take care of its stakeholders because we want them to continue in business and provide a fair return for investors. I’m flat out saying they charge too much for La Scala AL5s. When the piece parts cost you less than $1000 or two there is no need to charge $12,000. At some point the profit is no longer fair or reasonable. Why not charge $15,000 or $20,0000 for them? Apparently there is no number too high for you to consider obscene. Do you get it now?

Now wait a minute!  What sort of corporate job do you have that pays enough for you to drop $12k on speakers?  How is it that you, too, are not overly greedy?  How many 100 thousand over the typical employee in your company do you make?  Just how much money does a man need to live? 

If you were a willing buyer, there is no discussion; no one abused you at all!  You can probably take them back for a refund. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, richieb said:

I thought you had more class than that, Clorox? Lysol is far more aromatic and I believe benefits from additional aging, a much smoother toxin on the way down. Comparing Clorox to Lysol is like that of Old Buzzard 2 year to Weller Antique — stay classy Jimbo

Yea, poor choice of words.  Costco is sold out of Lysol, but has copious quantities of Tito's, which is basically only good for killing bugs outdoors.

16 hours ago, Cal Blacksmith said:

Sometimes when you want the best and are willing to pay for it, depreciation is just part of the game. Spend $250,000 on a new Mercedes and in ten years it is worth 1/10 of that or less. If you trade in just the next year you will take a $50,000 or more hit.

Well, there's a voice from the past!  Welcome back!

(unless  you've been back and I've missed it)

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Yea, poor choice of words.  Costco is sold out of Lysol, but has copious quantities of Tito's, which is basically only good for killing bugs outdoors.

Seriously Jim, do you spend every moment of each day hating? That's not much of a life. The OP is talking speakers and you can't stop manifesting TDS.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Schu said:

you need a little help with physical set up there...

Wow, we are a fat bunch aren’t we? Guy spends $12K on some damn fine looking speakers (whether he paid too much is for him to determine) and we criticize his room. I’m sure he could ditch the two shelf wings, set the LS in that position, a little toe in and be golden. But, he must like things as they sit - good on him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so happy with the sound of these AL5s! For days I’ve been binge listening to all my SACDs and everything I can think of on Tidal with my MQA DAC. When I get fatigued, I pop in an Ultra BluRay for a rocking action movie then I’m back to bingeing music again. I have a slew of concert DVDs coming it too. I can see this is not going to get old!!! 😀👍😎

• Like 4

Buyers remorse is common. Just do not blame the manufacturer. The pricing structure is driven by cost and quantity. After dealers cut, shipping, advertising, and warranty there might be small profits. 

We buy things we do not need. Just WANT them. 

If there was a new AHB2 sitting in my rack it would concern me. Already have 10 or 12 amps sitting around, one pair of speakers hooked up. But I WANT one too. Have for 2 years.

• Like 1