La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

Can someone clarify something for this stupid idiot who's owned LaScalas for over 40 years....

LaScala II verses this AL5 thing.....  aren't they both LaScala II's or if not, what's different?

Suddenly I feel old

30 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Can someone clarify something for this stupid idiot who's owned LaScalas for over 40 years....

LaScala II verses this AL5 thing.....  aren't they both LaScala II's or if not, what's different?

Suddenly I feel old

Perhaps this will help a bit.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/la-scala-al-5

I get it.

Let me reword my question a bit since I don't follow these things.

Has the LaSCala II evolved into what is now called the LaScala AL5?  

Or, do they make a dual line of LaScalas......one the II's and one (perhaps limited number) of AL5's??

Guess it doesn't really matter to me I just scratch my head, a rock is a rock is a rock.....so a LaScala II is a LaScala II is....you get it.  so I'm wondering what's so big deal to make a name change if that's what it is to the AL5?

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Has the LaSCala II evolved into what is now called the LaScala AL5?  

Yes, evolved......  But not the same.  There are structural differences (I believe the bass bin is a thicker MDF), crossover changes, and driver differences.

Not making the LS II anymore.

Admission:  I didn't know that!!  I knew the tweeter was changed but that's about it....  So I need to get the "II" out of my head.

Thanks!!

You can go blow your crackers now!

(not sure that sounded the way I intended)!!

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

B stock most often does not necessarily mean scratched.  

Well the guys that sell B Stock really try to imply that there is only cosmetic differences between A and B Stock. If there’s more to it, please illuminate. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Suddenly I feel old

From what has been provided by Klipsch;

Top hat cabinet is now fabricated using 1” MDF. The LS II used 3/4” MDF. Bass bin is 1” on both.

The tweeter horn and compression driver are changed. 

Internal wiring changed from the 14 ga lamp cord to Audioquest Star Quad.  Crossover is tweaked to match  new tweeter. 

I am told the crossover used in the LS II was changed during the production run.  The mids level was pulled down a little. A resistor was added to the mids filter. Do not know if the balance between bass, mids, and tweeter were tweaked in AL5. 

22 minutes ago, GlennyC said:

Well the guys that sell B Stock really try to imply that there is only cosmetic differences between A and B Stock. If there’s more to it, please illuminate. Thanks!

Cosmetic differences does not mean scratched, although that's always possible.  The factory may decide that the veneer is slightly different, or there may be shading differences, or there may be excessive grain, or knots in the veneer.  I have seen all of those considered B stock.

1 minute ago, Panelhead said:

I am told the crossover used in the LS II was changed during the production run.  The mids level was pulled down a little. A resistor was added to the mids filter.

Interesting.  I sure would like to know more about this since I have late production LS IIs.

9 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Interesting.  I sure would like to know more about this since I have late production LS IIs.

Same here but as much as I hate to admit it, I would simply not be able to hear the difference in late production tweaks or with the AL5.  I'm at the top of the mountain unfortunately and I do mean unfortunately.