La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

3 hours ago, Schu said:

The LAST thing I am going to do is put a piece of plastic on my furniture grade veneer... ever.

Maybe Acrylic,  but my choice is towards NOT doing it as opposed to doing it and saying it's museum grade acrylic.

Thanks for this input. I called the window repair company that made these protectors for me. They said that while they usually make these furniture protectors out of glass they also have made them out of plexiglass for years and have had no reports of these protectors reacting with the furniture they are designed to protect. They offered to provide small discs made of some kind of plastic to put between the speaker wood and the plexiglass. This would require periodic dusting and cleaning as an air space would be created between the two surfaces. I have a large mahogany desk that has custom sheet glass protectors with these disks and it is a pain to clean between the two surfaces so they usually are dusty at the edges. Right now there is a static force keeping these two surfaces well “connected” on my speakers. I am thinking this is best for now as all the moving of the plexiglass protectors to clean beneath them will risk more damage to the speaker tops. Comments?

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I do have LSI splits which are amazing with Jantzen capped AA networks and a Fisher 500C tube unit.   But also other vintage original La Scalas in addition to the LS IIs.  I find the LS IIs to be tame compared to the "classics"....., meaning, that they sound less engaging and in your face.  However, even given that, they still sound very, very good in their own right, and they are completely stock.  The other LS have some pretty high end networks built by DeanG and myself, so in that regard perhaps direct comparisons are not on the same playing field....

Aside from driver upgrades, etc. on the latest Heritage evolutions by Roy Delgado, clearly the CROSSOVERS represent as much of a CHANGE in voicing as do other tweaks, probably THE most change, so I'm not surprised by your response. My audio best friend of over  45 years spends the most of his time on crossover tweaks, and he has the best woodworking shop I know of to build speakers, yet most of his time is measuring, listening and crossover adjustments for his terrrific room!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Thanks for this input. I called the window repair company that made these protectors for me. They said that while they usually make these furniture protectors out of glass they also have made them out of plexiglass for years and have had no reports of these protectors reacting with the furniture they are designed to protect. They offered to provide small discs made of some kind of plastic to put between the speaker wood and the plexiglass. This would require periodic dusting and cleaning as an air space would be created between the two surfaces. I have a large mahogany desk that has custom sheet glass protectors with these disks and it is a pain to clean between the two surfaces so they usually are dusty at the edges. Right now there is a static force keeping these two surfaces well “connected” on my speakers. I am thinking this is best for now as all the moving of the plexiglass protectors to clean beneath them will risk more damage to the speaker tops. Comments?

Using any discs under the Plexiglas will dent the lacquer, so I’d suggest you very carefully clean both the speaker tops and the Plexi, and just put it directly on the speakers with nothing between, not even air.  As well, are the sharp corners rounded off at least a little bit?  It’s annoying when you run your hand over something and it scratches you.

Some other La Scala owners have used glass top protectors, but it amounts to the same thing, with the small difference that the glass would be more likely to cause an injury if it ever fell off onto someone.

4 hours ago, GlennyC said:

It's a reaction with the finish... not the wood. It may or may not occur, I usually do not take that chance. Glass is inert,  plastics have offgassing and other 'possible' chemical interactions. I would not opt for more plastic feet... I would opt for wool or felt feet.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

... I would opt for wool or felt feet.

I caution the use of the these also. Seen black robbery deposits left on surfaces after removing the felt pads sourced from hardware stores. 

Until Someone makes me wish for a protector the tops are exposed. A coat of Howard Feed -N - Wax every year for now.

13 hours ago, DizRotus said:

After more than 30 years we still can’t agree on how to designate possessive with our son’s name Ross.  Is it Ross’s or Ross’?  I prefer the latter, as it looks neater, but I think either is acceptable.

This response will be an example of overuse of bolding, sometimes known as "bolditis. 

@DizRotus

Strunk and White say "Ross's possessions."  The old Harbrace of my college days agreed, but made an exception: if the possessive was followed (immediately) by a "z" sound, the writer should leave off the final "s," so it would be "Ross' zebras," but "Ross's pajamas." 

@Islander I agree, but it's not really a factoid in English, but is in the Frankenlanguage of CNN.

Norman Mailer apparently coined the word factoid to mean something that is not a fact, indeed is not true, but becomes widely thought to be true, due to being treated as true in the public media.  It was a perfectly good word and a new and useful one at that.  It was ruined, allegedly, by CNN when they started using it to mean a trivial, but true, piece of information.  Apparently, the writers, editors, directors, talking heads, etc., at CNN didn't think of it as being like all the other "oids," which mean "resembling," or "like," as in alkaloid, anthropoid, cardioid, cuboid, lithoid, ovoid and planetoid.

• Like 2

Okay, thanks for that.  I was using it to mean a little fact, but yes, “...oid” does mean “resembling”, like “humanoid”.  I did use it wrongly.  It’s good to see that literacy is not dead.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree with you on the Ross', but these people don't

Actually, they do, sort of, agree.  The following quote is from the article you linked:

“Yes, even if the name ends in "s," it's still correct to add another "'s" to create the possessive form. It is also acceptable to add only an apostrophe to the end of singular nouns that end in "s" to make them possessive. In this case, you can show possession for Ross either way:

• Ross'

• Ross's”

There is a segment on the TV show, Motorweek, called Goss’ Garage hosted by Pat Goss.  They show possessive by adding an apostrophe only.  The visual would be cluttered if written as Goss’s Garage.

Plurals, written or spoken, are fraught with peril.  How many TV reporters have you heard say, “incidentses,” when referring to more than one incident?  The plural of incident is incidents.  The fewer sibilant sounds there the better, especially during a pandemic.

To get back on topic, the plural of La Scala AL5 is sonic bliss and visual delight.  Enjoy them OP.

8F183B7A-97CF-421C-A1F0-AF82C40E0664.jpeg

10 hours ago, Islander said:

Using any discs under the Plexiglas will dent the lacquer, so I’d suggest you very carefully clean both the speaker tops and the Plexi, and just put it directly on the speakers with nothing between, not even air.  As well, are the sharp corners rounded off at least a little bit?  It’s annoying when you run your hand over something and it scratches you.

Some other La Scala owners have used glass top protectors, but it amounts to the same thing, with the small difference that the glass would be more likely to cause an injury if it ever fell off onto someone.

Or felt pads.  Depending on the humidity changes, you might want it to breath a little.

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

“Yes, even if the name ends in "s," it's still correct to add another "'s" to create the possessive form. It is also acceptable to add only an apostrophe to the end of singular nouns that end in "s" to make them possessive. In this case, you can show possession for Ross either way:

• Ross'

• Ross's”

As a side comment, I happen to have a coworker who's named "Ross" and I've had fits with this with regard to him specifically (our team regularly has team emails and I stop cold when I'm using his name in any other form than "Ross" so, to defer some respect to him I call him Mr. (last name)...)

All because of that dang apostrophe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Our dear OP must think this place is loony tunes....  where else can you go to air a frustration, get glass/plexi, tabs/no tabs and English lessons all at once??!!

No, I totally get it. This is a tight knit community of people united by a common love of Klipsch. Klipsch has been around a long time and has a strong group of followers. There are many experts in the various speaker incarnations over the years and a vibrant interest in tuning, tweaking and/or modifying the products for maximum enjoyment. Also there are retired gents with this love who have plenty of time to devote to this hobby. I think its great!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, GlennyC said:
3 hours ago, Coytee said:

Our dear OP must think this place is loony tunes....  where else can you go to air a frustration, get glass/plexi, tabs/no tabs and English lessons all at once??!!

No, I totally get it. This is a tight knit community of people united by a common love of Klipsch. Klipsch has been around a long time and has a strong group of followers. There are many experts in the various speaker incarnations over the years and a vibrant interest in tuning, tweaking and/or modifying the products for maximum enjoyment. Also there are retired gents with this love who have plenty of time to devote to this hobby. I think its great!

If you look around, there are Math, Science, History and other classes being conducted. From time to time, there are Good Manners classes where there is a chance someone or two might be put into timeout. Although they are not scheduled, they seem to happen just before or right after an election... I don't know why, it just happens that way. 

Actually, you do get it. There are some great people here who are ready to help. 

• Like 2