La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

1 hour ago, GlennyC said:

No, I totally get it. This is a tight knit community of people united by a common love of Klipsch. Klipsch has been around a long time and has a strong group of followers. There are many experts in the various speaker incarnations over the years and a vibrant interest in tuning, tweaking and/or modifying the products for maximum enjoyment. Also there are retired gents with this love who have plenty of time to devote to this hobby. I think its great!

some guys on this forum have several pairs of Klipsch speakers

Just don't make plural something which is intrinsically so, like RPM.  More than one is still RPM.

Saw a video by a guy who somewhat famously "improves" speakers.  He mentioned an anomaly occuring at "one kiloHert."  I swear to God.  He said it multiple times just that way.  So I guess if there's only one (thousand) you should "singularize" Hertz's namesake part of the value?

Hi!  I'm Pat, and I'm an audiophiliac.  It started with a pair of La Scalas, and I was happy.  Then, a few months later, I joined this Forum.  Well!  I soon had a pair of Heresey IIs as well,  then the next year I had another pair, and then a pair of Belles, and now a pair of La Scala IIs!  Then there were the modifications...  I can't help myself, so I have to trust in my higher power to help me to stop.  Maybe after the next subwoofer...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Islander said:

Hi!  I'm Pat, and I'm an audiophiliac.  It started with a pair of La Scalas, and I was happy.  Then, a few months later, I joined this Forum.  Well!  I soon had a pair of Heresey IIs as well,  then the next year I had another pair, and then a pair of Belles, and now a pair of La Scala IIs!  Then there were the modifications...  I can't help myself, so I have to trust in my higher power to help me to stop.  Maybe after the next subwoofer...

Ok, is it called “SAD”? Speaker Acquisition Disorder.... that’s what you catch if you join this forum? 

• Like 1

I was going to repair my Sunfire True Subwoofer to go back with my Klipsch R-112SW. But I really won’t be happy until I get a matched pair. Maybe two R-115SWs if I can find them for about $500 a piece? Suggestions?

• Like 1

If you add 2 R-115 SWs or 2 SPL-150s to your 112SW, all placed mid-wall, you will likely have a nice setup and have the very low bass distortion similar to your La Scalas.  You may have to work on subwoofer phasing. 

1 hour ago, Docreid said:

interesting...my AL5s in Walnut were 10K at Music Direct.....

2354AE4D-B8ED-4F3A-A64A-CAFA98BFF493.jpeg

Good for you! Well I can’t say I didn’t learn something valuable from this experience. Having the latest greatest is not always so smart. How so? I got the best La Scala that I could. Well with the high efficiency AL5s now my amp is sounding a bit noisy. I want an Accuphase 30 watt Class A amp. There is the A-36 new for $10,500, or the A-36 used for $5,000 or the A-35 used for $3,800 or the A-30 used for $2300. I went for the A-30. Too painful to pop $13,000 for speakers then go $10,500 for an amp. All the madness needs to slow down a bit. 

Edit: I just checked Music Direct and they are showing out of stock on the AL5s.

Edited by GlennyC
Grammar and new info
  • Like 1