La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

Wow what a thread. This seems like a whole lot of “who shot John” if you ask me.

The funniest thing about this 15 page train wreck is that  someone would pay 13K (plus tax!) for a pair of speakers and put them on either side of that big ole honking piece of 80s furniture.  Before digital eq, room correction, or any other crap I would have gotten rid of that eyesore post haste. It’s not doing you any favors, sonically.

I agree with others here, let em go to another owner. And fix your room before the next pair rolls in.

Shakey

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I’m a loyal Klipsch listener. I have owned la scala’s and many others for decades. 
I’m going to buy new La Scala A5 very soon, that is why I stumbled on this thread.

Having read the posts I am curious, What do you all think I should pay for them. I am no “negotiator”. I’m ready to pay full price, but do some think that is negotiable at a brick and mortar. I’m seriously curious.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't hand my dealer the cash fast enough for my new Forte IV....  I could have bought the III for much less , but I didn't care.  I got a generous trade in so I felt like I got a good deal.... and as for resale, I don't think I'll be selling them anytime soon.  When and if I do,  I got every penny's worth of enjoyment from them.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, Steve in Mayer said:

I’m a loyal Klipsch listener. I have owned la scala’s and many others for decades. 
I’m going to buy new La Scala A5 very soon, that is why I stumbled on this thread.

Having read the posts I am curious, What do you all think I should pay for them. I am no “negotiator”. I’m ready to pay full price, but do some think that is negotiable at a brick and mortar. I’m seriously curious.

Thanks

Not many brick and mortar stock these. If you get 20% off you got a real bargain. 

I am not looking, but see MSRP online. A pallet with the four boxes will go 550 lbs or so. Shipping will not be cheap.

I can’t help but feel bad for the OP’s painful experience. Overpaying for the speakers initially and then having them immediately depreciate to a fraction of the purchase price had to hurt. To have them in his home as a constant reminder must have only made a painful experience even worse. I hope his next audio purchase is more enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 2:27 PM, GlennyC said:

So I just bought and set up my new pair of La Scala AL5 Natural Cherry A Stock speakers. I do have to say that Klipsch has made it a very very painful experience for me. I wanted the best my room size and configuration could handle and for me it was the AL5s. I love the sound and the cabinets are beautiful. The very painful part was the $12,000 plus tax about $800. New La Scala II if you find them go for half that. I really feel I have been taken advantage of on the pricing. The depreciation of these will be brutal. I mean I will probably lose 2/3rd of my purchase price in very short order. Three or four years to loose $8000. It really is abusive. Comments?

I have not been following this thread and have not read the whole thing either and yes 12 grand is a lot of money for some people including myself. It does sound like buyer remorse. I bought my LaScala's new many years ago for retail price and in today's dollar it would be much the same as the price you paid. For years after I bought them they too were selling for a 1/3rd the price I paid. But now on the used market they are selling for as much or more than I paid for them. Klipsch heritage speakers are in investment. Much like a car they do depreciate but as you stated on your first page you did not want to buy on the used market. There is always some hype promoting a new line in anything but I doubt there is a significant difference in the sound from the previous version you could have bought used. All said the first generation LaScala sounds excellent and this is not saying there has been improvements. You could have saved money buying used but you want the newest and best and one has to pay the price for wanting that. Just the way things are.