La Scala AL5 What a Painful Experience

GlennyC

Trying to justify Klipsch pricing for current line of Heritage speakers and here is what I think.For years Klipsch made moderate changes to there speakers as they kinda drifted away from their Heritage line.

I can remember in the early 2000’s trying to find a dealer where you could listen to Klipschorns and even Klipsch dealers that had some of the heritage models did not have them and they were made to order and to me that is why the line suffered.

In the last few years Klipsch had to see what was happening with people upgrading their heritage line speakers and following the newsgroups they had to know that they had to improve the line and to do this they had to spend money on R&D and with this it caused prices to go up and now with the newer models even more R&D and with the high cost of materials they had to have price increases.12k is not chump change, but if you priced other speakers from other manufacturers with the same cabinets,drivers ,quality of the cabinets and weight of the speakers I think most would agree they would be priced way more than 12k.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlennyC said:

I also have an unpictured R112SW to pick up a little more low end. 

63848557-5CE7-4F06-B1BA-E31F38071731.jpeg

I'm just trying to figure out the logic behind a $12,000 pair of speakers matched with a $400 subwoofer. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I had a Sunfire True Subwoofer that cost $2000 but it recently started acting up. Humming after a substantial load. Then needed to be power cycled to stop humming. My system is a work in progress. The $400 sub was just it’s little brother to fill in the room gaps. Now it is pressed into stronger duties. It works fine to about 30Hz. No room resonances at any audible frequencies. 

Edit: My preamp sends everything 55Hz and above to the AL5s. Anything below 55Hz goes to the sub. It is supposed to be rated to 24Hz but I’m not seeing that. Nothing comes out of the sub with a 25Hz test tone. But it’s fine for now. 

Edited by GlennyC

5 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Well why are new La Scala IIs $7000. Are the AL5s really a $5000 upgrade?

If you did an A/B comparison BEFORE you bought them you could tell us. It sounds like you went in wanting the latest and greatest and they probably are. I looked at the video of you ordering and I didn't see anyone holding a gun to your head

Mark

I thought I was clear... I want these speakers. But, I feel Klipsch could have friendlier prices for them. I have no issue with Crutchfield. They are required to sell them at the universal pricing. Crutchfield was great. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, billybob said:

No,I couldn't possibly say that.

It wouldn't be fair to group all AL-5 buyers as idiots, only the ones who buy them and then immediately b+tch about the price. This is probably not the place to piss and moan over your purchase, sympathy is pretty thin here.

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Yes I am a stupid loyal Klipsch customer. I am pointing the finger at myself. Buyer beware. Klipsch will rake you over the coals and extract maximum dollars from you if you want their high end. Klipsch deserves not to be called out for this. They could give a crap. It all on me. 

Being a loyal Klipsch customer can you please give us a partial list of their gear you've owned? Or even listened to? How long have you been a loyal customer? If you look at the gear a lot of these people have, you need to be pretty large to say you're a loyal customer. 

Mark

5 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Yes. I just needed to vent. It would be “nice” if Klipsch was more “friendly” with their pricing. I am loving my speakers. They are awesome. I plan to have them forever. Just would have been nice to have such awesomeness for let’s say $8,000 or $9,000? 

I would like a Diablo for $40K too but I don't think Lamborghini is going to do that for me. They are in business to make money, if you don't like the price don't buy new. You could of had my pair of 2007 AK-5 Khorns for $4100, I sold them a couple months ago. You could just say you're too lazy to shop for anything and hit the BIN button. That's how companies make more money, people hit the BIN button and then realize they could have realized a better price with patience and a little footwork

Mark 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlennyC said:

I thought I was clear... I want these speakers. But, I feel Klipsch could have friendlier prices for them. I have no issue with Crutchfield. They are required to sell them at the universal pricing. Crutchfield was great. 

Yes you made yourself clear. You have your hand out looking for IDK what, go start a GoFundMe page to help offset the cost of your beautiful LaScalas And the president answered, did you get you stimulus check? 

Mark

• Like 1

Yo! Zeus/Mark there is such a thing as too much corporate greed. You are such a fan boy apparently nothing is too much greed for you. There is a continuum of profit taking. Of course the company needs to make profit to take care of its stakeholders because we want them to continue in business and provide a fair return for investors. I’m flat out saying they charge too much for La Scala AL5s. When the piece parts cost you less than $1000 or two there is no need to charge $12,000. At some point the profit is no longer fair or reasonable. Why not charge $15,000 or $20,0000 for them? Apparently there is no number too high for you to consider obscene. Do you get it now?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, GlennyC said:

Yo! Zeus/Mark there is such a thing as too much corporate greed. You are such a fan boy apparently nothing is too much greed for you. There is a continuum of profit taking. Of course the company needs to make profit to take care of its stakeholders because we want them to continue in business and provide a fair return for investors. I’m flat out saying they charge too much for La Scala AL5s. When the piece parts cost you less than $1000 or two there is no need to charge $12,000. At some point the profit is no longer fair or reasonable. Why not charge $15,000 or $20,0000 for them? Apparently there is no number too high for you to consider obscene. Do you get it now?

Wow, reading through this thread it sounds like you need a drink, I would suggest whiskey.

Head to AXPONA (I guess next year, since it is COVID cancelled) and walk around and listen to the speakers. 

In many of the booths you will have a hard time finding a pair of speakers for this price, let alone speakers that sound as good.

Does that mean that I will order a pair of La Scala AL5? 

No, I don't have that much money and will wait and pick up a pair in a few years (with that steep depreciation). 

If you just bought these and didn't like them OR you just paid this much and lost your job during these tough times and were looking at losing a ton of money on them because you had to sell them, then I sympathize.  Do I think that the prices have increased a lot?  Yes, I do.  

If these are the speakers you wanted and you are not returning them, because you like them.

Then, I don't know why you are so angry.  You should be happy that you could afford them and go sit down and enjoy them.

(16 million children in the US struggle with hunger each year and that was before the pandemic).

I found out today that my best friend died (not COVID) at a time when he likely won't get a proper funeral. 

So, I am going to go deal with some real problems, like grieving in isolation and seeing how I can help his family.

He was a Klipsch fan and bought walnut khorns new in the 1980s, for a price that he thought was a lot at the time, but he still has/had them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It’s all good. I’m just going to kick back and enjoy my new speakers. It would be nice if they were more affordable and more people could enjoy them. If you can’t enjoy them because of the price and you won’t blame Klipsch, you get what you deserve. 

47C7796D-C68D-4489-AFA8-7B420F35F6E9.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Yes. I just needed to vent. It would be “nice” if Klipsch was more “friendly” with their pricing. I am loving my speakers. They are awesome. I plan to have them forever. Just would have been nice to have such awesomeness for let’s say $8,000 or $9,000? 

Should have thrown out a price and negotiated.  There is nothing friendly in audio prices now a days.  Most would not pay retail, particularly when all the stuff is currently happening in the world.

Once you decide on a price you shouldn't complain (particularly on the company's forum) or look back since you decided on it.  You complain, air your complaints before the purchase but afterwards since it makes it seem like you are at fault.  Nobody held a gun to your head.

With that they are beautiful speakers.  They are stunning in your configuration.  Enjoy, it will likely be a lifetime purchase.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GlennyC said:

It’s all good. I’m just going to kick back and enjoy my new speakers.  

47C7796D-C68D-4489-AFA8-7B420F35F6E9.jpeg

Beautiful room by the way.  

3 hours ago, GlennyC said:

It would be nice if they were more affordable and more people could enjoy them.

True, but that is when the potential buyer can opt for any of the previous incarnations for much less $$$ and get to maybe 80 to 90% of the performance of the LS AL5s.

Bill

Bill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Buy once, cry once.

In other words, if you’d bought LSII, you’d still want what you have now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sancho Panza said:

Buy once, cry once.

In other words, if you’d bought LSII, you’d still want what you have now...

Isn't the grass always greener?  I like the way the AL5s don't have the black moulding.  That would not have looked near as nice.

• Like 1