Upgrading Kit

Hi folks , 

Very simple questions that I can't get straight answers to yet ! 

I would like to upgrade my 2-channel Maranzt M-CR611 to a single channel NAD M10 but my speaker hardware is configured as a 5.1 and I like it that way. My questions are ; a. Can I parallel wire my R-15M'S from the dual posts on the RP-260f's I am interested in upgrading to ? I have currently have Polk R50's 

b. What would be the best idea to wire in my R-25c into the single channel. It currently is wired into the B side with the R-15M'S. My Polk SW108 has speaker level outs.

c. The NAD has two Subwoofer outs and my SW108 has both left and right inputs. Should I use both SW outs from the M10 ?

Thanks everyone.

Joe

10 hours ago, Joe Meney said:

Hi folks , 

Very simple questions that I can't get straight answers to yet ! 

I would like to upgrade my 2-channel Maranzt M-CR611 to a single channel NAD M10 but my speaker hardware is configured as a 5.1 and I like it that way. My questions are ; a. Can I parallel wire my R-15M'S from the dual posts on the RP-260f's I am interested in upgrading to ? I have currently have Polk R50's 

b. What would be the best idea to wire in my R-25c into the single channel. It currently is wired into the B side with the R-15M'S. My Polk SW108 has speaker level outs.

c. The NAD has two Subwoofer outs and my SW108 has both left and right inputs. Should I use both SW outs from the M10 ?

Thanks everyone.

Joe

This is not a simple question because your question isn't very clear.

The NAD M10 is basically a 2 channel integrated amp.  The Marantz is a 2 channel basically integrated.  So equal.  How do you have a speaker system configured as 5.1 going to a two channel amp?  The difference is single vs dual binding posts.  They are essentially the same.  Not 2-Channel to single channel.

You don't have any 5.1 as I see in your question other than you have a bunch of stuff tied together as stereo with a sub via two binding posts.  The R-25c's connection is iffy at best.

Sorry, I'm not being rude but you should really lay out what you have, the wiring.  

Paralleling two speakers on one set of posts such as on the M10, you can't guaranty you are keeping the impedance higher than the impedance required.  Many receivers / integrateds with dual binding posts will have impedance compensation or link two sets of speakers in series to allow for multiple speakers to run without over taxing the amp.  The M10 uses Hypex nCore which are rated down to 3 ohm so you should be careful.

You can't use the SW108 speaker level outputs if you are using the subwoofer output on the M10.

I think the best you could hope for is paralleling your speakers to the left and right channels won't blow up the M10 and use one sub output (typically only mono anyway) from the M10.

You will have no use for the R-25C unless you got a second mono amp and hooked it to the pre-outs or had a summing device and used a second mono amp .

10 minutes ago, Alexander said:

While not totally understanding the OP's intentions it sounds like we are heading toward a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm pretty sure I understand.... with that...

An expensive M10 toasted.  Needs to be more careful and understand load along with capabilities.  Can't just keep stringing speakers in parallel.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. Clear and concise, and understandable . I mistakenly believed the single binding posts indicated a single channel but the channels are left and right , correct ? I think I'm good to go on parallel wiring the 15's to the 260's as the M10 has a bridge mode which my son believes serves keep the unit at 8ohm when utilized in order to facilitate Daisy chains from the single binding posts , but perhaps he is mistaken. I was expecting your answers regarding the SW , no big deal there. I have the right side wired from the Maranzt now and can definitely live with the same arrangement from the M10. Once I get the 260's in and have Daisy chained the 15's , I'll dedicate the right side from the Maranzt's "B" posts . If I can't notice a improvement in my sports viewing, all I watch ( the TV is wired by Optical to the Maranzt ) , I'll set it aside until I decide whether the M10 is my best option. Ive studied The Maranzt M8006 as well , but obviously I'm a novice. Thanks again ! 

PS. Haven't read the second reply yet . Hope it's as enlightening as the first.

I'd appreciate being able to justify an M10!

Something I find curious about that model is its bridging capabilities.  They don't offer a standalone companion amp, so to what purpose does one bridge the unit?  Is it expected to buy two of them to run bridged?  Then doubling up on all the pre-amp / control hardware, needlessly?

I'd have to go back through the thread trying to meticulously ferret out the pertinent parts of the questions to offer any help, but frankly it seems a daunting task.  Could the question be re-phrased?

I'll try ! Hahahaha ! If my 15's and the 260's I'm upgrading to are both 4-8ohm will I be safe Daisy chaining them from the lone binding posts on the M10 ? And how the heck do I even fit the 25c into this equation , and if I only watch sports , is it even necessary ? Are there better choices than the M10 to fit my listening? I love the idea of digital streaming because I rarely listen to my CD's. I'll keep the Maranzt as a CD player if I go with a streamer/amp . I've already upgraded my turntable , very happy with the Project T1 and the companion phono box pre-amp. So I spin vinyl except for new releases , which we can't access in a timely fashion up North - North West Ontario Canada , I stream new jazz and blues until the vinyl arrives. Thanks for any efforts at helping me out !

45 minutes ago, glens said:

I'd appreciate being able to justify an M10!

Something I find curious about that model is its bridging capabilities.  They don't offer a standalone companion amp, so to what purpose does one bridge the unit?  Is it expected to buy two of them to run bridged?  Then doubling up on all the pre-amp / control hardware, needlessly?

I'd have to go back through the thread trying to meticulously ferret out the pertinent parts of the questions to offer any help, but frankly it seems a daunting task.  Could the question be re-phrased?

Appears to be a very nice unit.  I would not use an integrated as a bridged system.  Seems dumb unless you just have an M10 laying around.  Use a dedicated amplifier that can bridge.  Too many advanced capabilities in the M10....  Well, I guess if you were to use it bridged to power a passive subwoofer and used the pre-outs to active speakers or other amplifiers, I could see it but nothing I would probably want to do for the money.

35 minutes ago, Joe Meney said:

If my 15's and the 260's I'm upgrading to are both 4-8ohm will I be safe Daisy chaining them from the lone binding posts on the M10 ?

If by daisy-chaining you mean "wiring them in series" then in terms of amp load you'd be fine.  Though I believe the variable impedance characteristics of the speakers will thus more greatly influence the balance of sound in the other than if they were wired in parallel.  Even wiring them in parallel I should think you'd be fine.  I bet that amp will intervene on your behalf if you're getting out of hand.

And how the heck do I even fit the 25c into this equation , and if I only watch sports , is it even necessary ?

You don't and I'd characterize it as unnecessary for your application anyway.

Are there better choices than the M10 to fit my listening? I love the idea of digital streaming because I rarely listen to my CD's. ... [turntable] and the companion phono box pre-amp. ...

I'd fit my listening to match the M10 if I had to, but it's built for what I do already.

I have no experience with it.  I do have its lesser sibling and understanding that everything about the M10 is better-done, I cannot fathom how anybody could rightly be unhappy with the M10.  If memory serves, you'd not need the phonograph pre-amp box with the M10.

And you should get busy ripping your CDs to flac files so you can serve them up.  It's so much more convenient and the sound quality is 100% the same.

1 hour ago, glens said:
2 hours ago, Joe Meney said:

If my 15's and the 260's I'm upgrading to are both 4-8ohm will I be safe Daisy chaining them from the lone binding posts on the M10 ?

If by daisy-chaining you mean "wiring them in series" then in terms of amp load you'd be fine.  Though I believe the variable impedance characteristics of the speakers will thus more greatly influence the balance of sound in the other than if they were wired in parallel.  Even wiring them in parallel I should think you'd be fine.  I bet that amp will intervene on your behalf if you're getting out of hand.

And how the heck do I even fit the 25c into this equation , and if I only watch sports , is it even necessary ?

You don't and I'd characterize it as unnecessary for your application anyway.

Are there better choices than the M10 to fit my listening? I love the idea of digital streaming because I rarely listen to my CD's. ... [turntable] and the companion phono box pre-amp. ...

You can get a high quality receiver such as the Anthem, and do everything you need.  You need a UI, plug it into a monitor.  You can't and shouldn't currently be doing what you are.

Don't do parallel on the speakers, don't bother with what you call a center... it is not.  If you really want to have a center, go with the receiver, do two sets of fronts so you can balance them, and be done.

The M10 is for a very different use.

6 hours ago, pzannucci said:

M10 uses Hypex nCore which are rated down to 3 ohm so you should be careful.

Just looked.  Ncore rate to 2 ohms, though not as linearly from 4 to 2 as from 8 to 4.

I'd do it if I could justify the $.

Got it. Thanks everyone. I'll keep doing research on products more fitting. At the very least I think I've gathered that series wiring is greatly respected over parallel (Oh well, volume of cabling is no concern , she's already left me hahahaha). And that this isn't the type of expense and product one purchases without visiting a showroom with experienced sales people. Darn pro shop is a hundred miles south ! The plant is almost 400 miles south ! I thought I was getting over easy at three large $ when my Google feed keeps directing me to reviews of products in the 20000£ range! Thanks again everyone

15 hours ago, glens said:

Just looked.  Ncore rate to 2 ohms, though not as linearly from 4 to 2 as from 8 to 4.

I'd do it if I could justify the $.

Yes, read incorrectly.  Nice to know they don't die with hard to drive speakers.  Still want to know why NAD rates them the same output for 4 and 8 ohms.

7 hours ago, Joe Meney said:

Got it. Thanks everyone. I'll keep doing research on products more fitting. At the very least I think I've gathered that series wiring is greatly respected over parallel (Oh well, volume of cabling is no concern , she's already left me hahahaha). And that this isn't the type of expense and product one purchases without visiting a showroom with experienced sales people. Darn pro shop is a hundred miles south ! The plant is almost 400 miles south ! I thought I was getting over easy at three large $ when my Google feed keeps directing me to reviews of products in the 20000£ range! Thanks again everyone

Good luck on your journey.  Lots of nice units out there in that price range.