Eminence Kappa 15c

jon91661

• 4 weeks later...
I'll be next in line......

Do you still want these. I have listened to them for just short of a week. They sound good but I prefer the Crites my cornscalas came with. $150 shipped to you. Let me know if not and I'll offer them to the next inline. 720ff98d5881c84e4f89b513e6e7a669.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not surprised the OP prefers the Crites woofers in CornScalas, since the bass section is all CORN and very little Scala. LOL. The Belles and LaScalas are NOT horns below 104 Hz., but need help at 400 Hz. so this is where this 15C woofer shines. No brag, just FACT.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised the OP prefers the Crites woofers in CornScalas, since the bass section is all CORN and very little Scala. LOL. The Belles and LaScalas are NOT horns below 104 Hz., but need help at 400 Hz. so this is where this 15C woofer shines. No brag, just FACT.
Yea I assumed that was the case. Those Eminence drivers are built like tanks though!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The Belles and LaScalas are NOT horns below 104 Hz.

[Insert thread hijack warning, here]

Clearly, I'm missing something here--trying to learn about this stuff.

If they aren't horns, what are they (?)

44 minutes ago, jason str said:

Horns are just direct radiators below fc.

Thanks for the comment. Not finding much on Fc... From what I gather, seems the baseline frequency (Fs) shifts upward when the driver is mounted in an enclosure of any kind (including horns?)? So, is it fair to say the Fc is simply an adjustment that happens with cabinets? Now, I am wondering what the Fc is for a Klipschorn?

I am about to build a dedicated low-frequency cabinet (my first time at this) so, I'm naturally curious. I'll start a new thread.

33 minutes ago, Endo said:

Thanks for the comment. Not finding much on Fc... From what I gather, seems the baseline frequency (Fs) shifts upward when the driver is mounted in an enclosure of any kind (including horns?)? So, is it fair to say the Fc is simply an adjustment that happens with cabinets? Now, I am wondering what the Fc is for a Klipschorn?

I am about to build a dedicated low-frequency cabinet (my first time at this) so, I'm naturally curious. I'll start a new thread.

Fc is the resonant frequency of a sealed cabinet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Endo said:

[Insert thread hijack warning, here]

Clearly, I'm missing something here--trying to learn about this stuff.

If they aren't horns, what are they (?)

If you want to boil things down to a single factor, then it's the horn's 1/4 Wave LENGTH that determines the Low Frequency Cutoff. The Belle and LaScala are both "Short Horns." of about 2.7 feet in length.

My Quarter Pie bass horn, which fits nicely into a corner is 5 1/2 feet long. So if you take the speed of sound at 1126 feet per second, and divide by 5.5, you get 204.73. Now take 1/4 of that number and you get a horn Cutoff frequency of 51 Hz.....................................a LaScala/Belle is about 1/2 as LONG as a Quarter pie, which makes both of them have a 100 Hz. cutoff.

An MWM bass bin, patented in the early 80's by Klipsch, is a 6 foot long horn, so it's cutoff is about 47 Hz. This is for full horns with a sealed rear chamber, but the length applies to tapped horns also. I just cut lumber for a 22 ft. long SUPER Tapped Horn, which should go down to 12.8 Hz. or lower when you add ROOM GAIN to all of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

If you want to boil things down to a single factor, then it's the horn's 1/4 Wave LENGTH that determines the Low Frequency Cutoff. The Belle and LaScala are both "Short Horns." of about 2.7 feet in length.

My Quarter Pie bass horn, which fits nicely into a corner is 5 1/2 feet long. So if you take the speed of sound at 1126 feet per second, and divide by 5.5, you get 204.73. Now take 1/4 of that number and you get a horn Cutoff frequency of 51 Hz.....................................a LaScala/Belle is about 1/2 as LONG as a Quarter pie, which makes both of them have a 100 Hz. cutoff.

An MWM bass bin, patented in the early 80's by Klipsch, is a 6 foot long horn, so it's cutoff is about 47 Hz. This is for full horns with a sealed rear chamber, but the length applies to tapped horns also. I just cut lumber for a 22 ft. long SUPER Tapped Horn, which should go down to 12.8 Hz. or lower when you add ROOM GAIN to all of them.

Horn length is only part of the equation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jason str said:

Horn length is only part of the equation.

True, but the point is that trying to make an effective horn less than 1/4 wavelength long is pretty much a waste of time. You can cheat by combining very large cone area and a too-short horn, but at that point you're just straddling the line between large direct radiators and true horns.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Edgar said:

True, but the point is that trying to make an effective horn less than 1/4 wavelength long is pretty much a waste of time. You can cheat by combining very large cone area and a too-short horn, but at that point you're just straddling the line between large direct radiators and true horns.

Yep. PWK's horns were of proper length BUT undersized MOUTHS, which according to one of the papers, you can compromise on if you can live with the resultant RIPPLE.

One of the things I liked about my Jubilees was that one could use them without corners, and they behaved more like big LaScalas with more bass, and behaved more like a Khorn when in a Corner! VERY versatile!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yep. PWK's horns were of proper length BUT undersized MOUTHS, which according to one of the papers, you can compromise on if you can live with the resultant RIPPLE.

One of the things I liked about my Jubilees was that one could use them without corners, and they behaved more like big LaScalas with more bass, and behaved more like a Khorn when in a Corner! VERY versatile!!

In fact, with Roy's settings, corner loading, and room gain, you could get them flat to 30 Hz. no problem with negligible distortion. You could FEEL that Jube bass in your calves on the right recordings with 5 String Basses hitting a low B string...........but I have digressed too far from the OP.