The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
yamahaSHO

Building my own center channel for La Scalas

On 5/5/2020 at 9:54 PM, yamahaSHO said:

I am currently in a couple-day holding pattern as I wait for some proper-length HDMI cables.  Once those come in and are routed away from heat, I'll start putting it all back together and tiling up to the ceiling.  I am curious to see how it sounds and test... to see how I need to adjust the crossover.  

Run conduit if you need to do so so you can change to any new standards in the future. 

Did you use thinset to attach the Hardibacker to the drywall or just screws? 

No need for conduit as now that there are holes and I've seen behind the drywall, I can pull anything through. 

Yes, I used thinset behind the Hardibacker. 

I got burnt out for awhile, but I started working on it this week. Hoping to have the tile all laid tomorrow.  Wife will be happy... 

IMG_20200916_114729

IMG_20200916_171900

• Like 1

Got the tile done and the speaker put together...  So far, it sounds great.  I will run some sweeps tomorrow and see where I am at with the crossover.  As much as I like the look of the speakers, I will definitely have a grill in place, using the 70th Anniversary fabric.  I like the idea of it not being noticeable.  

50508172202_94ecf5235f_h.jpg

I tried to hire out the tiling, but the guy did not impress, so I had him take it down and I ended up doing it myself. I have a welder buddy, who'd done a lot of work for me in the automotive side, that will do a surround around the fireplace for me. 

50499127698_8699b51036_h.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really digging this setup!  Yes, I'd like the mantel a little lower as well as the TV, but this is what I was working with...  And I don't have additional speakers and wire anywhere.  

I haven't run a sweep with REW yet, but I did run Audyssey on my Marantz receiver and there were huge corrections in getting a flat sound.  I think it may have had less correction than the La Scalas did.  

50510855691_303a583850_h.jpg

• Like 1

I got all my stuff out to run REW, which I hadn't used in almost 10 years (still re-figuring it out) and ran a test.  I am using a Radio Shack 33-4050 SPL meter, which I originally purchased when I built my sub.  While re-learning the process, I did see that it is accepted that the Radio Shack meter does not do well above 3k hz.  Oddly enough, that's where I have the most discrepancy.  I may look at getting a mic to use...  Unless someone near Denver has one to rent/borrow, as I probably will only use it this on time.  :)

50517766236_bb8367f692_h.jpg

50517945951_6105a580c2_h.jpg

I picked up a miniDSP UMIK-1 to do some more testing before I do anything to the crossover.  I also plan to take measurements in different spots as I later realized my tweeter might have read hot because of where I had the mic.  

I also finished off my surround sound by putting some in-wall speakers in to keep clutter down.  I was originally going to use my Klipsch RS-52's that I saved from my theater, but getting wire through that specific wall was going to be a problem, and I liked the idea of not having stuff hanging off walls.  

Whether I put the old speakers on the wall or these in-walls, the height was going to be at least 9 ft off the ground due to the 8 ft patio door.  So far, these seem to do well.  I have aimed the tweeter down as well.  The attic above was very cramped...  Not my favorite job. 

50565357281_a2f1adb5db_h.jpg

50565493687_ef341dbd82_h.jpg

50565492897_00149daf63_h.jpg

• Like 1

Took some new measurements... I knew I might have been too close with the last one showing the tweeter being hot.  I always thought it sounds like it may be attenuated too much and it appears I was right.  

1-meter away. 

2020-11-05_05-22-36.thumb.jpg.1e90709d0020ad3a27760db3c3a68f40.jpg

Listening position. 

2020-11-05_05-07-57.thumb.jpg.e7bacac1a5312926997f4d1aa7047ef8.jpg

I may redesign the crossover a little bit as it's got a 2k hz hump.