What do I have here?

Hey there! I came across these the other day on craigslist and had to pick them up. Plus it was a good excuse to get out of the house. I have yet to take the backs off and peek inside, but when I put my ear up to where the tweeter and squawker should be there doesn't seem to be sound. However, they sound quite pleasant and listening to a sweep of the frequencies I can here to my limit of 16.5k htz or so. Anyway, without delay here are some photos.

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_3635.jpg

• Like 1

You have "starter" Heresy's ("B" designation).  #538 shipped Feb. 22, 1963, and #585 shipped June 10, 1963.  "B's" were intended to be upgraded eventually to full 3-ways.  They shipped with a K-22 woofer that incorporated a whizzer cone to achieve some amount of high frequencies.  I suspect the tweeter and mid holes are covered with a paperboard cover from the inside.  If it's any comfort, they are fairly rare!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRH said:

You have "starter" Heresy's ("B" designation).  #538 shipped Feb. 22, 1963, and #585 shipped June 10, 1963.  "B's" were intended to be upgraded eventually to full 3-ways.  They shipped with a K-22 woofer that incorporated a whizzer cone to achieve some amount of high frequencies.  I suspect the tweeter and mid holes are covered with a paperboard cover from the inside.  If it's any comfort, they are fairly rare!

Wow, ask and you shall receive! So interesting, so people had the option to buy the cabinet and add to it at a later date. I wonder would it be worth it to find a tweeter, squawker and crossover to finish them off? Also, would it be a bad idea to give them a light sand and new coat of oil?

Edited by michaeldj09
more questions

i personally don't think its worth it to try and find all the things you need to make them into 3 ways. the cost will kill you let alone the time to find what you need.

i've been down this same path for years and still looking for 1 crossover for my 61 set

but it can be fun at times