Covid eyes??

Coytee

Long story short, it seems (so thinks my wife as well as myself) that I might have poisoned myself (food) Saturday morning.  Made my normal bacon and eggs for breakfast, went to recycling center afterwards, got home and within 30 minutes my temperature spikes and I was VERY feverish shaking like someone (though not as bad) having a grand mal seizure....  Wife calls 911 and today I'm still sitting here in this isolation room waiting for more test results.  I'm back to feeling fine but Doc said there was a strange reaction in one of my tests.  Seems if someone scores a "1" on one of these results, it is a moment of concern....  I was a 15.  She said that she might not have concerned about that (because of my medications for Crohns) but over night, that same test tripled to 45.

So here I sit....

Anyway, the point....  after I was leaving the ER and heading to my isolation room (I am Covid negative), she opened the doors as she was wheeling me through and I waived at the gals on other side and they made a comment about my eyes.

I was befuddled a bit as I didn't hear exactly what they said....so I asked the nurse that was doing the driving of the wheelchair.

She said they have found that people that have the Covid virus have "a look in their eyes" that they now call Covid Eyes.  She couldn't explain what it was, just that they looked different.

My thoughts are, maybe the person is concerned that they might be one of the unfortunate folks that don't survive and maybe THAT is what's in their eyes???

I don't know.  I just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share.....so, now you know it exists.  Covid Eyes.

PS:  Doc starts her shift at 10:00 today so am patiently waiting for her to let me go.  I already asked the nurse about the tests they were waiting for and she said the initial results were negative but they were waiting for the second part of them....so they were incomplete.

I'm presuming I'll be out of here by noon.  

Whatever hit me, it was amazing how quick it happened.

• Like 7

• Moderators

My concern is that there is a high rate of false negatives/positives with some of the tests for CV19. What is the test that had the elevated numbers? It sure sounds like you were experiencing symptoms from CV19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I couldn't tell you what the test was.  I've had some internal infections before with the Crohn's.  If I DO have an infection now, it's NOTHING like I've handled before (before was much much worse than anything I'm experiencing today)

I've had blood drawn, both arms are black/blue.  They attempted (and failed) to draw arterial blood.  Have two IV ports in me, though only using one for basic fluids.  I asked the head nurse if they could spike it with something having a slightly higher "proof" value.....  "uh.....no"

so here i sit.  Fortunately, my wife brought my (work) laptop so I've been able to get my work for this week done.  I totally expect to be green-lighted to go home by noon today. 

• Like 3

Other than the dying aspect, I wouldn't mind if I DID have the virus....get it done and over.

My work takes me all over ten counties.  I'm in most of the schools and frankly, if anyone would get bit, I'd be a good candidate.  I wouldn't want to get it and be a carrier.

Just now, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Tell them that they either let you out or move your Jubes to your room.

Geez, I like the way you think!    It's a LARGE room, meant for two....but only single bed in here.  I DO have two TV's in case I want to watch two different shows.  Since I have my laptop, I can have the markets here instead of other tv.

Other than the dying aspect, I wouldn't mind if I DID have the virus....get it done and over.

My work takes me all over ten counties.  I'm in most of the schools and frankly, if anyone would get bit, I'd be a good candidate.  I wouldn't want to get it and be a carrier.

They have not determined if you get immunity from it if you have had it before.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Kinda vague. Salmonella comes to mind with handling eggs and it can really ruin your day. Covid eyes have been described since the 1st outbreak in Washington and they’re not diagnostic as much a one of a constellation of potentially interrelated symptoms. All in all not a fun time. Glad to hear you’re on the mend. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Salmonella comes to mind with handling eggs and it can really ruin your day.

check mark on ruined day....  ruined Saturday, Sunday and is working on today.

I didn't mention that before the ambulance got to house, I had a visit to the throne to regurgitate everything I ate that morning.

I told the doc upon arriving at the ER that I was feeling better (further suggesting a bad egg)  In fact, the worse of it was up and until I vomited....  then, though I was still weak, shakey, temperature....  the 'edge' was off.

Still, you know how they want to be sure...  my mother was a nurse, beat into my head to always do what the doc says to do.  

So here I am, being an obedient patient.  I was convinced that yesterday would be my last day and according to the Doc, would have been but for the blood cultures not being back.  Seems one of the tests indicated an infection.....but they can't find it so she wants to rule out the blood stream (??)

In hindsight, it does seem that I stayed here for an extra day needlessly.  I get "better safe than sorry" so we played that card and if I don't get released today, I'm going to need more details than just to be safe.  There are far worse off people than I am that might be able to use this space I'm taking.

• Like 2

Nice!

Asked Doc what the issue was.  She said it was my 'procalcitonin' (SP??)

Said it was 12 the other day, then that night, shot up to 45.  She looked at me saying most people that have that level with that marker are in intensive care....  "by the way, how do you feel??" she asked...

I guess I'm too crusty.

• Haha 1

Richard, if you can, post a picture of your eyes.  I would like to see what they look like.  It isn’t unusual for people to get a secondary viral conjunctivitis with systemic viral infections.  Of course you did say you tested negative for the current “plague” which makes me wonder if the negative is false.  Do they suspect sepsis related to your Crohn's?

Maynard

Procalcitonin is a marker diagnostic for bacterial sepsis and for trauma. That’s why they’re waiting for your blood cultures prior to discharge. No doubt they’ve treated you with broad spectrum antibiotics but they’d like to be sure they’ve covered the source of your troubles specifically. Salmonella will do this and it can do it quickly. But there are other options too. Just take it easy and wait for the results. It may not have been a ‘bad’ egg but a dirty egg. The egg shell can carry salmonella on its surface. The egg itself is plenty okay but just handling the shell can transmit the bacteria.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Procalcitonin is a marker diagnostic for bacterial sepsis and for trauma. That’s why they’re waiting for your blood cultures prior to discharge. No doubt they’ve treated you with broad spectrum antibiotics but they’d like to be sure they’ve covered the source of your troubles specifically. Salmonella will do this and it can do it quickly. But there are other options too. Just take it easy and wait for the results. It may not have been a ‘bad’ egg but a dirty egg. The egg shell can carry salmonella on its surface. The egg itself is plenty okay but just handling the shell can transmit the bacteria.

Nothing concrete....  so wife & I continue to presume salmonella.  

(I'm home now)  I spoke with Doc this morning, she said my Procalcitonin had dropped from 45 to about 24 and since it was going in the proper direction, she felt better about letting me go.

I had always presumed the salmonella to live/exist INSIDE the egg.  I never thought about it being on the outside of the shell!  I don't know what they had in the drip bags, I specifically asked (I had gone through ....  hmmmm  I think five IV bags, possibly six.  The nurse didn't say anything exciting about what was in them.  

If indeed this was simple food poisoning, all I have to say is wow...  it's amazing how fast it can change your day.  I'm on an immune suppresent for the crohns and would wonder if that might have multiplied the effect.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I had always presumed the salmonella to live/exist INSIDE the egg.  I never thought about it being on the outside of the shell!  I don't know what they had in the drip bags, I specifically asked (I had gone through ....  hmmmm  I think five IV bags, possibly six.  The nurse didn't say anything exciting about what was in them.  

If indeed this was simple food poisoning, all I have to say is wow...  it's amazing how fast it can change your day

I remember being a little boy and my Grandma set me on her knee and said, "BigStewMan, one day chickens will rise up and rule the world if we're not careful  Wash the eggs like it has the Corona Virus."

52 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I remember being a little boy and my Grandma set me on her knee and said, "BigStewMan, one day chickens will rise up and rule the world if we're not careful  Wash the eggs like it has the Corona Virus."

So you were know as “BigStewMan” way back then? So when you called on in elementary school the teacher would address you as “BigStewMan” ? Lot of respect given —

• Like 1