George Wright Sound WPL-20

robertod

I'm looking for any info on Wright's WPL-20.  Sound, best to tubes to use, is there a manual out there and opinions.  Also, I know George would tweak his equipment,  I noticed one had switches located on the side wired to the phono inputs.  What could these be used for?

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, robertod said:

Thanks for the reply...Which George Wright phono do you have.  I checked out the ad.  I have the same WPL-20.. The switches are on the left side and when I opened the equipment up there are tied to the phono inputs..

Thanks

Interesting George was prone to update as he went along without writing down schematics. I have one of his last AG PHONO. I love it.

4 hours ago, robertod said:

OK thanks, I'm having tubes tested waiting for them to come back.  Because I was getting a loud hum through the speakers.

Yes The AG phono is very nice piece of equipment.

I've replaced a few caps but that is all. He didn't use the most expensive parts. Still love the gear..

I do agree with you very nice gear.  I have a pair of 2A3's mono blocks bought them directly from George and sound terrific in my system.

All I have done is replace tubes.  I have been looking for a phono gear from George to compliment the mono blocks and found the WPL-20. They

sounded good but have a hum.  I have a friend checking the tubes for me.  It did sound good in my system. (just didn't like the hum).

Recently I added a pair of speakers DIY from Bottle Head, It was a nice build, I had fun doing it.  I would like

to update gear but haven't found anybody around NM that works on this gear.  

• 2 months later...

seti,

On the gain controls do you set them to your preference and/or tweak them per the music you listen to?  

Oh, the load hum I was getting, because a few caps were blown in the power supply.  All fixed and music is good.

Roberto

4 hours ago, robertod said:

seti,

On the gain controls do you set them to your preference and/or tweak them per the music you listen to?  

Oh, the load hum I was getting, because a few caps were blown in the power supply.  All fixed and music is good.

Roberto

This happened to a friends preamp a few elctrolytics blew.

I try to set the gain around the same as cdp and music server so when i switch around there isn't a huge gain change. Or if there is an issue I set to lowest hum... Having the right cartridge for tonearm is key...

Thanks for the reply,  I'm using exact cart 6.8-7.2 mv.  I set the gain 10 oclock to 11 oclock  and volume around 9 oclock, hope that makes sense.  

I messed with it for awhile yesterday, with different lp's and this seems to be a good setting.

I get a vey low hum (ear at speaker) fixing caps corrected hum.

The wpl-20 is 18 years old and the 3.5 mono blocks 18 years old,  should I consider updating caps, etc.

Thanks