Care of outdoor mounted speakers

Mighty Favog

I'm contemplating mounting a pair of outdoor speakers over our patio under the house gutters. The wall they would going on faces due west where a lot of the weather comes from. The eaves are very shallow and don't provide that much protection. The drivers would also be in direct sunlight.

So, my question is, will these speakers have to be taken down or covered up somehow every winter season? Winters around here can get down to -10F and can also have blowing rain/sleet directly on the grills.

Outdoor rated speakers would be fine in the rain and normal conditions, but exposure to wind can damage the drivers and the direct sunlight will eventually bake them. The way you describe the location's exposure to the sun and the weather elements, I would want to protect a pair of expensive speakers anytime they are not playing music. There are different ways to do this, such as a simple canvas shroud with a drawstring to secure the cover with a drain hole in the bottom, or a wooden cabinet with a latching cover/door.

After giving this some more thought, there are numerous restaurants, bars, and amusement parks with pole mounted outdoor speakers that have been out in the weather for years without a problem, so you can hang some outdoor rated speakers once and be done. My first reply was a little over-protective because I was picturing a pair of nicely finished "indoor" speakers!

I have a pair of Klipsch aw-650 hanging on a wall outside for 10 years still sound amazing for their size. This one is on a south-west corner of the house. Gets lots of sun in the afternoon

rps20200516_130721.thumb.jpg.3d56a5cfac31d32408de38e3240ad412.jpg

• Like 1