Picked up a set of KP-301 II's

jjptkd

17 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

do you by any chance have a picture of the KP 301-II crossover   ----------3.6A   , does it match this XO

KP -3.6 A.jpg

I don't have pictures, but it looks correct. 

I had the woofers out a week ago to  rewire for an active crossover.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Wow, I've seen the original 301 crossovers and 301 II's.  They were both on PCBs.

These must be early models of the 301 II's as they still have the exponential tweeter horns. I'm using these now as my mains in my TV room completely stock and they sound great.

20200512_083102 (640x538).jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Wow, I've seen the original 301 crossovers and 301 II's.  They were both on PCBs.

here is  a pair I picked up  2 years ago  for a project   ,  they don't have the square caps and there is one extra part ( at the very top )  looks like  an autoformer ------they will need  cleaning up   --strong construction  Pro XO  --- 2nd  version of the KP3.6A ---

image.jpeg.0db961e32a7ceeea1dd8f7b45aebe1d2.jpegHELP NEEDED KLIPSCH KP-362 CROSSOVER SCHEMATIC - - Klipsch Pro ...

16 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

thank you ------very similar to what I have except for the square caps ----------very clean , these were definitely never used outdoors

I got mine from an estate sale supposedly one owner speakers guy had a studio in his home I guess there was a lot of other pro gear there for sale.

The insides and all drivers appear as new and it was obvious they had never been apart before. I probably should have recapped the crossovers while they were out but at that point I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with them yet, they actually sound really good stock very well balanced plenty good for TV.

6 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I got mine from an estate sale supposedly one owner speakers guy had a studio in his home I guess there was a lot of other pro gear there for sale.

The insides and all drivers appear as new and it was obvious they had never been apart before. I probably should have recapped the crossovers while they were out but at that point I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with them yet, they actually sound really good stock very well balanced plenty good for TV.

this is a photo  (  bad picture  ) of a pair I picked up for a project ------they have no square caps and you can see an extra part at the very top of the XO-   this should be the later version of the KP-3.6A -

image.jpeg.0db961e32a7ceeea1dd8f7b45aebe1d2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 11:15 AM, RandyH000 said:

do you by any chance have a picture of the KP 301-II crossover   ----------3.6A   , does it match this XO

KP -3.6 A.jpg

This is a picture of a 3.6 A Crossover I took inside my speaker last night. Much to my surprise I learned that my "new to me" KP-301's have a cross over from EACH in the series a 3.0 B and a 3.6 A 

Jon

3.6 Crossover.jpg

1 minute ago, Jon B said:

This is a picture of a 3.6 A Crossover I took inside my speaker last night. Much to my surprise I learned that my "new to me" KP-301's have a cross over from EACH in the series a 3.0 B and a 3.6 A 

Jon

then the answer is simple , you have a pair of 2  different speakers    1)  KP 301 which uses the 3,0B ,  and the second speaker a KP 301 II that uses the KP 3.6A  - or someone swapped the wrong crossover into 1 of the speakers , if both look identical

-

On 5/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, HOGFAN said:

JJ, your 301 boxes remind me of mine when I first got em.  Duratex works great!

Hogfan

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

My oh my those are some lovely cases!!

Mine are covered with what I like to call "Moving Blanket Fur" from the factory to protect the cases from the bumps and bruises from moving around from place to place. Since I will be using mine in the garage and they will be laying on their sides on the top shelf, I am going to leave the "fur" on them for now. But it sure is nice to know they can be sheared, painted, and turn out looking that good! If I ever opt to build them into my garage cabinets I am going to first refinish them using your method!!

Jon

11 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

then the answer is simple , you have a pair of 2  different speakers    1)  KP 301 which uses the 3,0B ,  and the second speaker a KP 301 II that uses the KP 3.6A  - or someone swapped the wrong crossover into 1 of the speakers , if both look identical

-

My speakers have been opened multiple times. All the external features say KP-301, only the crossover differences say 301 and 301 II. But I did find two different woofers in them. The 3.0 B equipped speaker had a K-48K woofer, and the 3.6 A had a K-48 MS woofer (as I recall). I'm at work right now and my notes are on my workbench so I am not 100% on the woofer numbers. All the other drivers matched.

Jon

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jon B said:

My oh my those are some lovely cases!!

Mine are covered with what I like to call "Moving Blanket Fur" from the factory to protect the cases from the bumps and bruises from moving around from place to place. Since I will be using mine in the garage and they will be laying on their sides on the top shelf, I am going to leave the "fur" on them for now. But it sure is nice to know they can be sheared, painted, and turn out looking that good! If I ever opt to build them into my garage cabinets I am going to first refinish them using your method!!

Jon

These speakers are the KP 301II   ,301 II's (279x234).jpg

these speakers are the kp 301--------perich brothers (and sister): hot rodding Klipsch speakers

2 minutes ago, Jon B said:

My speakers have been opened multiple times. All the external features say KP-301, only the crossover differences say 301 and 301 II. But I did find two different woofers in them. The 3.0 B equipped speaker had a K-48K woofer, and the 3.6 A had a K-48 MS woofer (as I recall). I'm at work right now and my notes are on my workbench so I am not 100% on the woofer numbers. All the other drivers matched.

Jon

-look at the large rmids  horn opening  in this cab  , this is the kp 301 II  , 

Picked up a set of KP-301 II's - Klipsch Pro Audio - The Klipsch Audio  Community

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

These speakers are the KP 301II   ,301 II's (279x234).jpg

these speakers are the kp 301--------perich brothers (and sister): hot rodding Klipsch speakers

Thanks,

Mine match the KP 301. The mids match and the logo position is the same - top center. Not to mention the plugs in the rear match and indicate 301 only, no II.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed - replace both crossovers or find another 3.6 since it seems to work well, or fix the 3.0 and find another. My 3.0 B is not working well with either tweeter, but the 3.6 a works just fine with any of my drivers. The mids are brighter on the 3.6, but on the 3.0 they are definitely toned down a bit. 

Thanks,

Jon

both the KP 3.0B   and the KP 3.6A  are hard to find  on the used side , either crossover  should work fine , as long as the  bad capacitors are replaced , however the KP 3.06A is a  more recent crossover as it came out  later by a few years , so a newer concept -

8 minutes ago, Jon B said:

Thanks,

Mine match the KP 301. The mids match and the logo position is the same - top center. Not to mention the plugs in the rear match and indicate 301 only, no II.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed - replace both crossovers or find another 3.6 since it seems to work well, or fix the 3.0 and find another. My 3.0 B is not working well with either tweeter, but the 3.6 a works just fine with any of my drivers. The mids are brighter on the 3.6, but on the 3.0 they are definitely toned down a bit. 

Thanks,

Jon

I found the details I posted last night on the woofers. One is a K-48 K and the other is a K-48 EP. 

Thanks,

Jon

1 minute ago, Jon B said:

I found the details I posted last night on the woofers. One is a K-48 K and the other is a K-48 EP. 

Thanks,

Jon

very similar -------The EP is made by Eminence , the K  is made by Klipsch using the same tooling ------

15 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

both the KP 3.0B   and the KP 3.6A  are hard to find  on the used side , either crossover  should work fine , if the  bad capacitors are replaced , however the KP 3.06A is a  more recent crossover as it came out  later by a few years , so a newer concept -

Thanks Randy.

I think I am going to buy a pair of Crites crossovers for the KP-301. Then I will pull the 3.0 B and 3.6 A, sell them, install the Crites crossovers and enjoy my garage even more than I do right now!

Sound like a good plan?

Jon