Picked up a set of KP-301 II's

jjptkd

2 hours ago, Jon B said:

I think I am going to buy a pair of Crites crossovers

Sound like a good plan?

Jon

If they are original 301's I'd be very tempted to buy Chorus 1 crossovers for them if I were you unless you plan on hosting block parties and blasting the whole town, in which case the Chorus 1 can do that as well almost as good. I've got a set of rebuilt Chorus II crossovers headed to me in the mail now going to do some experimenting with my 301 II's.

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

If they are original 301's I'd be very tempted to buy Chorus 1 crossovers for them if I were you unless you plan on hosting block parties and blasting the whole town, in which case the Chorus 1 can do that as well almost as good. I've got a set of rebuilt Chorus II crossovers headed to me in the mail now going to do some experimenting with my 301 II's.

I agree. The Chorus crossover would be great! Because I have no plans to light up the neighborhood any time soon.

I could easily do that with the other speakers in my arsenal if I wanted -  I have four CV AT-12's, two CV AT-15's, two JBL 4312a's, two Infinity IIa's, two Bose 601's two Bose 301's and two DCM TF 700's. With an assortment of vintage Yamaha, Kenwood, and Technics separates and integrated amps. As well as several large and small vintage Yamaha, Sansui and Kenwood receivers. So I could get loud if I wanted - it's over rated.

Jon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon B said:

speakers in my arsenal I have four CV AT-12's, two CV AT-15's, two JBL 4312a's, two Infinity IIa's, two Bose 601's two Bose 301's and two DCM TF 700's.

Jon

Damn, you have almost as many speakers as me! I love the Chorus line up all iterations I'm sure you'll be very pleased whichever way you go.

8 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Damn, you have almost as many speakers as me! I love the Chorus line up all iterations I'm sure you'll be very pleased whichever way you go.

I completely agree. My 301's are not 100% yet and they still sound better than the rest. The JBL 4312a speakers can compete now, but definitely not after those new crossovers go in. They would be in their own zip code in my home! And I admit, I can get away with higher volume in the garage - not so much in the house. Hehe

These speakers do have a Cornwall flavor and I have loved those speakers since I first heard them in 83-84 (not positive which year). They tend to make everything sound better and I do love that!

Jon

22 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

then the answer is simple , you have a pair of 2  different speakers    1)  KP 301 which uses the 3,0B ,  and the second speaker a KP 301 II that uses the KP 3.6A  - or someone swapped the wrong crossover into 1 of the speakers , if both look identical

-

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

when I wrote this post ,   I  had remembered that you had said the same in another thread ,  and I was not surprised  that the OP could have  KP 301 speakers with a mix of KP 301 II  crossovers - 

all the  OP has to do now is buy 1 KP 3.6A crossover to have a pair -

tx for the confirmation

I think I said it earlier in the thread and didn't want to be redundant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jon B said:

These speakers do have a Cornwall flavor and I have loved those speakers since I first heard them in 83-84

Jon

KP 301 speakers produce a lot more bass than a  Cornwall  1 or 2 , they are real Chest pounders -

5 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

KP 301 speakers produce a lot more bass than a  Cornwall  1 or 2 , they are real Chest pounders -

I have been a fan of VINTAGE Cerwin Vega speakers for a long time. The 80's D9's could get the job done nicely but they are big, heavy, and not nearly as attractive as a Cornwall. And the D9 could lay down a thunderous, yet tight bass, so I am very accustomed to that. I absolutely hate the synthesized booming noise passed off as bass today that usually accompanies someone chanting a nasty nursery rhyme to a beat! Those guys know nothing about "accurate" sound reproduction, or quality speakers.  

I am reconditioning a pair of CV AT-15's now. They are quite similar to the D9's but their mid-range is weaker. But NONE of these Vega's hold a candle to the 301's. I can clearly hear the potential in them even before I finish the crossover replacement/upgrade.

Thanks,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this thread these speakers have seen dramatic changes in the past week first the DPHL / de-120 tweeter install went like a breeze and made a big difference in sound, I started another thread detailing that experience:

Next up was the replacement of the stock crossovers and mid horn / drivers with rebuilt Chorus II crossovers (thanks @iaRIVR ) and the k-61's leftover from my modified Chorus II's, this difference was huge! The sensitivity increase was staggering, I now have to run my receiver 8-10db quieter (according to volume numbers) than with the stock setup. Details are front and center very clear and crisp only draw back is bass did not seem to increase at an equal level so they are a little "thin" sounding at lower levels. I have a set of A55-g drivers in the mail now hopefully they will help to rebalance the sound a bit.

• Like 1

Got the A55-g's installed today and man what a difference! The stock k-61 driver is just so bright and harsh sounding, very forward in comparison even at lower volumes where the A55-g is just so incredibly smooth and detailed, very detailed. I really think I have found a winning combination here with the de-120 tweet, A55-g mid and k-48 woofer. Now the only thing left to do to these is the port extension mod just need to locate some 4" OD tubing..  

• 1 year later...