DJ With Klipsch Heritage

Hi All,

I'm very impressed with the knowledge kicking around on this forum and i'm hoping to dig into some of it. Just before I do, i'm a very new 'wannabe' audiophile who is interested in the Klipsch heritage range to play vinyl LP's and DJ vinyl with. My love affair with Klipsch is due to a certain party in Hackney, London where Antal played vinyl on a system of vintage K horns (or modified La Scala's i'm not 100%) which absolutely blew mind. Brilliant corners is another good example in London who are actually the people who run the party's at Giant Steps.

Anyway, i'm looking for info on how best to match an amp for my personal application above and potentially Forte iii. And if i'm wasting your time on here, my apologies and please  kindly point me in the direction of the appropriate forum if known. 

I run an E&S DJR 400 (analog rotary DJ mixer) with Technics 1210 turntables currently with a set of powered Adam monitors. However, I'm looking to get a pair of Forte iii with an appropriate (hopefully low cost) Amp to match to my application. I'm choosing the Forte iii as they sit in a small footprint, lower cost than the better looking La Scala's and are great at listening at low volumes but can also start a party when i want to DJ at home. They won't be traveling and i'm not really interested in the pro range because I prefer the look of the heritage. But should i be? There have been a few topics along the lines my questioning however,  i haven't managed to completely find the answers I'm looking for. So here goes:

1. Most importantly: Klipsch heritage are expensive to me. Do I need to run a P.A Amp or any other gear to protect the speakers? I'm concerned i'm distorting EQ's with the the DJ mixer and dropping a needle here and there and if this will damage a pair of Klipsch heritage speakers. If i do need a PA amp, would something like this still sound great but protect the speakers? Avantone CLA 200:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CLA200--avantone-pro-cla-200-studio-reference-amplifier?mrkgadid=3341928426&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046937640717&lid=92700046937640717&ds_s_kwgid=58700005287223862&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=343590442550&product_id=CLA200&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=1014221&creative=353486306307&targetid=aud-382734789532:pla-343590442550&campaignid=2005754838&gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnEuJ4XVXxzjL4UUr8XSGq21DNR0AQaZTPbBUqanMisL-ahNmxqQvuQhoC2AgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. If not PA, can i use an a normal (sorry!) integrated amp? I'm interested in keeping it very low spec but channeling in to that sound potential a Klipsch heritage speaker has. I'm not interested in tone controls, a DAC or Bluetooth connection or a streaming receiver ect. Just a pure analog amp that will sound great at low cost! Here is an example: Onkyo 9110: https://www.onkyousa.com/product/a-9110/

2. Could i potentially use a tube amp? I've read these sound best with Klipsch heritage for that warm true sound. But can i DJ with it? Apparently these are great but way over my budget. Prema Luna Evo 400 https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-400-tube-integrated

Just a few last things, i'd prefer an amp that i could switch voltage from 110v to 240V when i move home. I can take XLR's out of my mixer so would prefer that a AMP had those as input options. 

Thanks for reading and any info you can give me will help! 

Cheers, 

Matt 

• Like 1

Unless Saint Peter listens to Klipsch Heritage speakers, I'm probably going to do time in a very warm place some day for telling my wife the lie that there was no way I could connect her karaoke machine to my 1967 Khorns.

Welcome to the forums, Matt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Matt.  Welcome.

I can't answer your questions about specific amps.

Let me say that I had some enlightening experiences with good performing home systems in large venues such as a cafeteria and outdoors.  They are just enemic at best.  It may be difficult to believe until you try it yourself.  

It is correct that multiple K-Horns and LaScalas with 100 watts or more can do the job in a dance hall  Forte, though, just can't do the job  with one home amp in my view.  So please be realistic.

WMcD

• Like 2

Are you looking at new speakers?  In a DJ situation they will soon look very second-hand, so you might as well save yourself some money and start out with second-hand Scalas.  Depending on the size of the room, 4 La Scalas could be a starting point, but are you equipped to load in and load out speakers of that size and weight, plus the electronics to go with them?

If you go that route, try to find La Scala Industrial speakers, since they come with a road-ready finish, plus heavier-duty K-43 woofers, instead of the standard K-33s.  This allows the Industrials to have a 200 watt power rating, instead of the 100 watt rating of standard La Scalas.

Cornwalls might also work, but I’m not at all familiar with them.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks so much reading and providing comment!

I'm regretting my thread title so I'd just thought i'd clarify my use: i'm definitely NOT looking to travel with the speakers, amp or any HiFi gear. Regarding the term DJ, I mean a personal home set up that doesn't move from its setup location at home. Essentially for HiFi listening purposes with Vinyl however, I want the ability to mix records with an analog DJ mixer. 

So listening volume, single use for one room in a house with the ability to DJ with in that situation. I don't need the ability to blow people away or for protection against travel or a dance floor. 

My main concern, damaging the speakers (or AMP) by using the DJ mixer - distorting EQ's with the DJ mixer or dropping a needle. I would like to go Klipsch heritage and i'm after AMP advice to suit the above. 

Thanks for reading, look forward to any advice! 

Cheers,

Matt 

For home use, the Forte IIIs should be fine, and should give you all the volume you’d want, along with great sound.  As for your amplifier, it needs to have very low noise, since sensitive speakers will pick it up, along with the fine details in the music.  For power, keep in mind the usual recommendation of using double the power of the speaker’s rating.  If the speaker’s maximum power rating is 100 watts, get a 200 watt amp, for example.

The reason for using double the speaker’s power rating is to ensure that when you’re playing the music as loud as you want, the amplifier is not at its limit, but has some power left.  This is because when amps are run up to their limit of power, they can start clipping and sending damaging signals to the speakers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey team. The Loft and loads of other clubs around the world use KHorns as their FOH. You need to wire a lightbulb in as a fuse to prevent blowing the HF. You will need a sub at some point. The KI215 is handy. 

A La Scala industrial on the top of a KP480 sub is a really good full range rig, and will give you loads of headroom. 

We currently use 4 x KP362 over 4 x KP682 and the sound is similar in flavour to the LSI/480 combo and a bit more robust. 

You could also try find the industrial Cornwall (KP301), which can really take a pounding. 

We are using QSC USA series amps currently as they’re cheap, robust and clean. Tube amps are amazing but, well, you don’t have the budget. 

Hope that helps!

Edited by Vivi
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Vivi said:

Hey team. The Loft and loads of other clubs around the world use KHorns as their FOH. You need to wire a lightbulb in as a fuse to prevent blowing the HF. You will need a sub at some point. The KI215 is handy. 

A La Scala industrial on the top of a KP480 sub is a really good full range rig, and will give you loads of headroom. 

We currently use 4 x KP362 over 4 x KP982 and the sound is similar in flavour to the LSI/480 combo and a bit more robust. 

You could also try find the industrial Cornwall (KP301), which can really take a pounding. 

We are using QSC USA series amps currently as they’re cheap, robust and clean. Tube amps are amazing but, well, you don’t have the budget. 

Hope that helps!

Would love to see some photos of that!

On 9/8/2020 at 6:39 PM, dwilawyer said:

Would love to see some photos of that!

I'm currently repainting the KP682s but we'll get photos up when they look pretty again.

For anyone interested in this thread: https://www.stereophile.com/content/dj-club-sound-systems-brooklyn

• 1 year later...

Hi Matt - did you make the switch to klipsch in the end? I am also running e&s + technics and thinking of switching for pretty much the same reason. Same story - djing at home. Keen to hear your experience of mixing with them and what they sound like playing deeper shades of house and some techno and if you’re happy with the bass (Glenn underground > moodymann > Larry heard > Omar s > Kenny Larkin etc).
Cheers mate