R112sw sub keeps turning off

Mason Ambery

My sub keeps powering off and is only 3 years old.  From what I’m reading I’m assuming it needs to be replaced.  I’m going to try and call Klipsch and see what they can offer but I’m assuming I’m probably out of luck.  For someone this isn’t technical from an electronics standpoint, I’m assuming this is something I can easily fix myself?  If not how should I get rid of it?  I guess I’ll be looking fir another brand that gies well with my other klipsch speakers.  Any recommendations for home theater use only?

• 8 months later...

I bought two Klipsch R112sw's in 2017 and both are now dead.  When I pull the power cord off each and re-connect it, they both power up fine -- for about 2-3 seconds -- then cut off.  Completely off.  As in, no power. 

So, it's not the fuse (I have had a beefy surge protector on these, btw), and the Klipsch and Crutchfield (where I bought them from) tech guys both say that it's probably the amp board, which includes the unit’s power supply (“modular design for easy repair”).  Hence, they’re advising me to just go ahead and replace the amp board. 

Klipsch's online support page for this model has photos and instructions on how to replace the amp board yourself, and Klipsch's tech guy sent me two replacement amp boards for free, even though I'm a year beyond the 2-year warranty (the woofer itself is warrantied for 5).

However, they're on back-order, so it may be a month.

Naturally, I’m suspicious about whether an entire product-line defect is in play (other chat boards have illuminated this problem).

Crutchfield's tech guy figures that this was (despite BOTH units failing) NOT a run of defective subwoofers "because we show no history of complaints about these, we still sell them, and out of hundreds of thousands of units sold there are bound to be some random defects."  He's confident that, after I replace the amp boards, I shouldn't have any more problems.  Klipsch’s guy says the same (of course, their companies have a financial incentive to dispel such notions, but these fellows seemed honest and straightforward).

Still, BOTH of my subwoofers died in the same exact way, and they were, like yours, "only 3 years old." 

I’m not happy.  I paid for a “reliable name brand” to avoid this hassle.  And these are excellent subwoofers when they work – they really rock my home theater, will even alter your heartbeat. 

My fantasy is that, for like $100 or so, I could just buy a plug-n-play external amp that powers both subwoofers and be done with this (one chat board guy says external amps are better because they're not being pounded by the woofer vibes, suggesting that an external amp will last longer).  But from what I’ve read, it’s more involved than that, and I’m not inclined to get inside the subwoofer’s guts to make that happen.