Audiophile Best Test Songs???

I'd like to start a list of great sounding songs, as well as great RECORDINGS. Most likely jazz and blues rather than pop or classical. Maybe limit each contribution to 1 or 2 songs, which makes it easier to digest, eh?

Can be a highlight for  piano, guitar, vocals, saxophone, bass, drums, or whatever instrument you choose.

I'll start with "It's Your Thing" from Conversations with Christian by Christian McBride, featuring Dee Dee Bridgewater on right channel vocals and the Master himself in the center of Upright Bass, what else?

Her voice, on a great setup, should sound like she's standing 1/3 of the way in from the right channel right in your room. Uncannily real sounding and spooky at the same time.

Also for male vocal, my vote goes to "No Love Dying" or "Brown Grass" by Gregory Porter on the CD "Liquid Spirit.".....................................NEXT!

Remember, they have to be truly SUPERIOR RECORDINGS, with dynamics, realism, micro detail, etc. not just music you happen to like after a few sips or tokes, OK? Also a description of what you like about certain songs and why.

LiquidSpirit.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Remastered 180g vinyl of Bob Marley Legend is an excellent recording, mastered well. Percussion really stands out. I also got a copy of Miles Davis, Kind of Blue on 180g blue vinyl that is really clean.

• Like 1

I like the basic idea of this thread. But you should include an example besides the artist of the album and song, no matter if it is a vinyl record or CD / SACD. Youtube is a good place to introduce unknown artists and tracks.

So I start with the Crimson Jazz Trio. The musicians are Jody Nardone / acoustic grand piano, Tim Landers / fretless bass guitar and Ian Wallace / drumset from the album King Crimson Songbook ( 2005 ) with the track Starless

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevinmi said:

The Remastered 180g vinyl of Bob Marley Legend is an excellent recording, mastered well. Percussion really stands out. I also got a copy of Miles Davis, Kind of Blue on 180g blue vinyl that is really clean.

I have a CD that corrected the bad original tape issue. I don't see vinyl having better sound, but OK if it was made from the corrected digital files. It's still the best selling Jazz recording of all time for the content as well as the recording quality! 1959 was a very good year! Amazing.

12 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Dire Straights – Brothers in Arms

Michael Franks – Dragonfly Summer

Had the original and remastered versions of Brother's in Arms. I gave away the remastered version was way worse, which I am now very leery about since the "Loudness Wars" kicked in during the 90's and to this day. If you can find the original, it's the one to have!

20 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Had the original and remastered versions of Brother's in Arms. I gave away the remastered version was way worse, which I am now very leery about since the "Loudness Wars" kicked in during the 90's and to this day. If you can find the original, it's the one to have!

Still have the originals for both and would never let them go.

• Like 1

I hear a certain Bonehead likes Bonnie Riatt. My personal fav is Angel from Montgomery on her Road Tested album. 

Steve Ray Vaughn will let you know if your system is cookin’. 

peace, 

Cincy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

I hear a certain Bonehead likes Bonnie Riatt. My personal fav is Angel from Montgomery on her Road Tested album. 

Steve Ray Vaughn will let you know if your system is cookin’. 

peace, 

Cincy

Bonnie is my go to vocalist for SIBILANCE testing of speaker setups.

• Like 2

A bit uncanny to see a reference to King Crimson.  

I suggest "The Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson, on vinyl.  

I have it on the original 50 year old LP, and on a later issued CD.  

I submit the LP because I'm a luddite.  

Yes it's prog-rock.  Yes it's heavily electrified.  

But yes, it has great stereo separation, great vocals, and great orchestration.  

And it will work your system to the max for clarity, effects, and harmony.  

And it's a great listen with your favorite relaxation  libation or technique.  

• Like 4