Audiophile Best Test Songs???

It seems a lot you of Klipsch guys love female vocals.

Here's a somewhat obscure but wonderful rendition from the past..........................

Anyone remember these gals?

Keep On Doing

Absolutely wonderful harmonies

• Like 1

9 hours ago, artto said:

Roger Waters Amused to Death

This recording was made with "Q-Sound" surround sound stereo processing. With the "right" equipment and conditions the imaging way outside, beyond the width of the speaker spacing is uncanny.

Amused to Death By Roger Waters (1999-01-25)

No kidding. Spooky stuff. I remember you played this for me the last time. Went and got it soon after. Crazy stuff. Great effect, but the music doesn't thrill me as much as the effects.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:30 PM, fmalloy said:

Star Tracks and Time Warp from Telarc.  If you like Star Wars-type movie music this will stun you with the incredible quality and dynamic range.  The best recorded music I have every heard.

Thanks for that heads up. Every Telarc disc I've heard sounds great.

As for system testing I always seem to pull out Getz & Gilberto I've got a Verve 180g Reissue that is to die for.

Getz-Gilberto-820x600.jpg

• Like 2

Another one I like is Peter Gabriel's Up

This one, similar to Roger Waters Amused to Death has some pretty spectacular effects as well as some powerful DEEP bass with lots of texture.

It can be somewhat taxing for most systems to reproduce "adequately" (IMO) due to the usual Peter Gabriel extremely dense "mix". But there are some unusual effects - one the sound literally appears to come out of the left side speaker, swirl around your head, and then vanish into the right side speaker.

Originally recorded analog, I have it on the rare SACD but Tidal MQA Master is even better.

th?id=OIP.y7pUqFHH5G_RlVVJCmNruAAAAA&pid=Api

• Like 1

Actually I found that the deep bass response of that now famous Béla Fleck album is generally attenuated below 50 Hz during mastering EQ.  On a 5- or 6-string jazz bass, its fundamental goes down to 30.8 Hz:

Electric bass string freqs.GIF

Here's a way to correct that using Audacity without costing anything but a few minutes: 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155096-the-missing-octaves-audacity-remastering-to-restore-tracks/page/10/&tab=comments#comment-2041331

Chris

• Like 2

To me, there are at least three subcategories of answers to Caude’s thread title.

1. recordings used to quickly audition speakers,
  2. recordings used to impress guests; and
  3. recordings to enjoy personally.

My answers by the above categories are:

1. Take Five by Dave Brubeck.  I’m intimately familiar with it.  It quickly demonstrates to me if speakers or a system are musically accurate.  The combination of piano, horns and percussion is revealing.  All it lacks is a female vocalist.
  2. Dark Side Of The Moon.  Most are familiar with this recording.  Guests are always amazed by the impact of the opening heartbeat from my four small tapped horn subs.  The bass in Money also impresses.
  3. Unplugged (Deluxe) by Eric Clapton.  I enjoy the entire live recording.  The feeling of the tapping feet on the stage floor combined with the audience enhances the performances.  The final track, Worried Life Blues, features the piano virtuosity of Chuck Leavell.

I’m enjoying this thread a lot. There are more recommendations of good recordings from those whose opinions I respect than there is time to listen to them all.  Notwithstanding some people’s philosophical and/or SQ objections to streaming, I find it a valuable way to audition artists, performances, recordings, etc., I’d never hear otherwise.  I’ve purchased many recordings as a result, so I don’t feel bad enjoying streamed music knowing the artists are paid very little.  The way I see it, they’re being paid, albeit almost nothing, to have an opportunity to persuade me to buy their music.  If I want to listen more, I purchase recordings, both to have at my disposal and to support the artists.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The way I see it, they’re being paid, albeit almost nothing, to have an opportunity to persuade me to buy their music.  If I want to listen more, I purchase recordings, both to have at my disposal and to support the artists.

If you really want to support an artist, buy their music from them directly, not via Amazon and other mainstream distribution.The same applies for books/authors. Certainly in these dire times. If you buy music after a concert, make sure to buy from the official stand, not from pirates.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:19 PM, codewritinfool said:

iTrax has a sampler album free for downloading.  FOR A LIMITED TIME.

https://www.itrax.com/product/itrax-sprint-aix-records-sampler/

All tracks recorded and mixed at 96 kHz / 24-bit.  Both WAV and FLAC available.

They have a place for coupon code at check out....got one?B)

Thanks for the heads up!