Tweeters on RS-7 not working

JohnW

I was using a pair of RS7s as front mains in our new house until we could purchase a pair of bookshelf speakers for our family room (RF-7 IIs didn't work in the room--they are now happily chugging along in my home office). Just picked up a pair of RB-61 IIs for the mains, and decided to use the RS7s as front height speakers for a 5.1.2 setup. 

But when I re-ran Audyssey EQ, there was a distinct lack of treble coming out of the right RS7, so I took it down, grabbed a tone generator, pulled off the woofer, and tested each speaker beyond the crossover. Woofer was fine, but only a faint signal coming from one tweeter, and nothing coming from the other. When I put the system back together and hooked the tone generator up to the binding posts, I only got sound from the woofer. 

I then dropped an email explaining the situation to Klipsch support. 

I've never really cranked these speakers up. 

Questions:

Is this a known issue? 

Has this ever happened to you, and what did you do to solve it? 

Does anyone know the model number of replacement tweeters for the RS7 and where to find them? 

Could this be a crossover issue? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi,

Your RS7 are equipped with a 1 "double twin driver with tractrix horn. Whether the 2 fail at the same time is rare, check if both are broken: test with a multimeter on ohm the drivers by measuring the resistance of the coils. Also check if your network is working properly and all the links are good or if there is no wire cut.

Then spare parts for RS7 are on sale here

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k75-d-417.html

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/aftermarket-klipsch-diaphragm-replacement-127103/

or according to your titanium version

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k-79-k100ti.html

Warning !!! Check your membrane carefully before ordering 👍

51 minutes ago, JohnW said:

And what are the impedence settings for each speaker? I know it's 8 ohms for the whole thing, but what should the impedence be for each cone?

You can test the resistance of a driver using a multimeter, testing the impedance is more complicated. A driver will have between about 3-10 ohms depending on the impedance rating of the driver. If it reads short or open, then the voice coil is bad. It's also possible a voice coil lead on the driver has been damaged, it'll show open. They can be fixed but it's tricky.6.jpg.388b6fb5d5b5358e6d92cc92e31dc3f9.jpg83636.jpg.3ab79a625aa485c1a2ccd8083fdec17d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Crossover's fine. Disassembled the speakers, woofer is fine, but neither tweeter budged the test meter. 

Thing is, the links you posted list replacements for the RS-7 as being fabric, but what I pulled out of my RS-7 looks like this:
IMG_2070.thumb.jpg.4b8e853b558987ccdef14be6fe5ee14a.jpg

And yep, one of the voice coil wires had separated.

Edited by JohnW

Just now, JohnW said:

Crossover's fine. Disassembled the speakers, woofer is fine, but neither tweeter budged the test meter. 

Thing is, the links you posted list replacements for the RS-7 as being fabric, but what I pulled out of my RS-7 looks like this:
IMG_2070.thumb.jpg.4b8e853b558987ccdef14be6fe5ee14a.jpg

They're not replacements, I just wanted to show you the coil leads.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:14 AM, mustang_flht said:

Hi,

Your RS7 are equipped with a 1 "double twin driver with tractrix horn. Whether the 2 fail at the same time is rare, check if both are broken: test with a multimeter on ohm the drivers by measuring the resistance of the coils. Also check if your network is working properly and all the links are good or if there is no wire cut.

Then spare parts for RS7 are on sale here

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k75-d-417.html

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/aftermarket-klipsch-diaphragm-replacement-127103/

or according to your titanium version

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k-79-k100ti.html

Warning !!! Check your membrane carefully before ordering 👍

I put the titanium version of Klipsch in this message !

Actually as @MechEngVic says it looks like you have a version of Crites on yours ;)

If you are a handyman and meticulous, it looks like you can repair yours with copper wire, silver solder and varnish to protect everything 🔨

It is certainly true that the tweeter of any speaker system is the most delicate and prone to failure.  Regardless of rating like "100 watts program" the units are only capable of absorbing 3 to 5 watts continuous or so without failing.  The windings are made up of wires about the diameter of human hair.  

The reason for using thing wire and lightweight diaphragms is simply mass.  High frequency movement require high acceleration.  And F=MA.  The windings and magnet are the motor proving the F.  If you want high A you must have low M  (thin windings).

What has happened with some regularity is that a posting member will say his tweeters are burned out and suspects the crossover network  Then it come out the units werer just purchased second hand.  In my view prbably the original owner recognized he had a problem and sold them off.  I bought some Quartets like that.  Happily it was an easy repair and not worth arguing about.  They were otherwise minty.

• Like 2