Thoughts on Luxman R-117

Kernel

Hope everyone is well out there.

Okay, currently have Chorus 2s. I know the R117 will have plenty of power but how will it sound?  Over the years I've used various NAD 72xx receivers, SX-950 and currently have a HK 730 which I've enjoyed the most.  Mostly listen to CDs, iPod and the radio. 

Local sale for R117 $450.00 (no remote).   Good/Fair price?  Looks to be in excellent condition.  What to look for/avoid?  Reliability long term?  Repair costs?

Thank you,  Kernel

5/8/20

• Like 2

$450 seems high to me but I have no experience with Luxman. Bill will be along shortly 😄. The R-117 has power over it but I think the HK 730 is still a contender.

Chorus II with HK 730 is a great combination. I've been enjoying them for many years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Bill will be along shortly 😄

Here I am.:P

Without a doubt, the best sounding stereo receiver I have ever heard.  As a matter of fact, near the top of all pieces I have ever heard.  Tons of headroom/dynamics.  Thumping bass drive, sweet velvety midrange, detailed and not strident highs.  I used it with RB-5's, RB-35's, Heresy 1s, Heresy 2s, Quartets, you name it.  My guess is the Chorus 2s will sing.

I think the price is fair if functioning properly and in good condition. 

The last completed sales(Feb to May) on Ebay range from $326.00 to $740.00.  The two currently listed on Ebay are $699.00 and $850.00.

Here is a link for restoration if you choose to do so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxman-R-117-Complete-Restoration-and-Repair-Service-with-Warranty/123121489740?hash=item1caa9cd74c:g:56EAAOSwgcVa8RbS

I never had a single problem with my R-117 as well as the R-115 that I owned.

Bill

Thanks everyone.  I'll go take a look at it this weekend.  If it looks as good in person, I'll pull the trigger.  

Have a great weekend!

Kernel 

P.S. I try posting more so I'm not such a stranger.  I do read a lot of other's posts... just don't comment.  🤘😁

• Like 2

That Luxman model is from the "Alpine" car audio era. Not really the same Luxman as prior to, or what exists today. It's from when Luxman was just a brand name that went to mid-fi. And for that price I'd pass.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, artto said:

That Luxman model is from the "Alpine" car audio era. Not really the same Luxman as prior to, or what exists today. It's from when Luxman was just a brand name that went to mid-fi. And for that price I'd pass.

All true, but the overbuilt R-117 is one example during that era when some serious engineering was used to produce it as well as the R-115, R-113, M-117.  Not the most beautiful aesthetics I'll admit but a very high performing line of products.  The onboard tuners were some of the best produced for receivers and rivaled many separate tuners before and during that time.

Just look under the hood in the below photo of the one I owned.

FS: Luxman R-117 Receiver--The One To Have--SOLD - Garage Sale ...

The transformer looks like a big block Chevy engine.

Bill

• Like 1

Here's my opinion after a few hours of listening to the R-117 and then going back to the HK 730.  

Wonderful detail and no doubt a powerhouse!  I got to about 11 o'clock before easing her back down.  I'm not sure I've ever heard my Chorus 2s put out that many decibels.  I just don't have a big listening space (20×25 and a 7.5' ceiling) for that level of listening volume. Maybe neither the amp or speakers were breaking a sweat at that level, but it was extremely loud.  And for the record, I'm not apposed to rocking AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Simple Minds, The Doobies or the Beasties at high volumes.  I would say my tolerance level is higher than most.  It became very clear to me at that moment that this receiver has way more power than necessary for my C2's. 

Okay covered the power... it has that in spades.  Excellent detail as I originally stated... especially in the upper frequencies.  Plenty of bass too which is why I fell in love with my C2's and sold all my other Klipsch speakers after weeks of testing (Cornwalls, Forte 2's, Chorus 1's, Heresy 1's and 2's).  That certainly made the wife happy.  You know what they say,  "happy wife = happy life". 

I want to save up for a pair of Heresy 4's!  Unfortunately, the wife would never approve that purchase so I'll just have to wait 10 years to get some on the used market.  But I digress... sorry.

It really wasn't until I reconnected the HK 730 that I decided it was the clear winner for me.  The best word to describe it is smoothness.  The 730 just sounds smooth at all volume levels.  Plenty of oomph in the bass, soft but detailed mids and smooth highs.  Even at high volumes, I find myself thinking "damn that sounds good!... too bad I need to turn it back down bacause the family and neighbors are home".

Now, maybe in an auditorium or outside with the speakers 100' away, I might feel the R-117 sounds better but in my listening space, the 730 came out on top.  Yes, I could tweak the treble and bass settings or break out my Yamaha GE-60 EQ to customize the sound, but that isn't how I listen to music now.  Tone controls are at 12 o'clock and only the loudness/contour gets engaged at low volume levels.  Maybe that's being foolish or even naive?

I do understand why so many people praise the R-117 (and the rest of that line).  It has an incredibly clean and powerful signal.  You can also tell it was built extremely well when swiching inputs and adjusting dials.

I'm going to hold onto this R-117 for a while.  Audition it again in a week or so.  Maybe in a different room with some other speakers I can pull out of storage.  I want to be sure of its journey with me before passing her onto someone else to enjoy. 

Thank you for your input and opinions.

Stay safe and healthy out there!

Kernel

• Like 3

Thanks for your review. Totally agree about the 730 smoothness.

I've had a similar experience with Sansui and Marantz vintage receivers in liking the 730 better. Listening levels are around 80 decibels inside, 90 peaks.

Time to bring the R-117 outside and let it breathe!

• Like 1