Center channel advise; RB-35 vs RC-62 vs RC-64III

Wojtek

I currently have RF-35 fronts.

Also have/had a RC-35 but it's defective and never worked. Sounds like it's playing underwater. I swapped the crossovers but that didn't fix it, so I'm guessing both woofers are bad, unless it just naturally sounds bad like that. Instead of throwing more money at that speaker, I decided to get something else.

Bought some RB-35 to use one as a center. Connected it temporarily instead of my Left, and tested it with some music. Mid and High frequencies sound exactly as my RF35. Lows are pretty meh. I guess the second woofer and extra 2.15 cubic feet of enclosure of the towers do make a difference.

What now? Should I look for a "real" center channel? I can pickup an RC-62 or a RC-64III locally, but both are more expensive then the RB-35 (*much* more expensive if we're talking RC-64III)

Will they play better then the bookshelf? Looking at the spec sheets, the RB-35 has the lowest frequency response numbers, but specs are not everything of course. The RC-62 has 32% more cone area then the RB-35, and the RC-64 has 132% more cone area then the RB-35. Both with more enclosure volume as well. What would I gain with the RC-* ?

I sadly can't try out the RC-* models at my house first so asking for some advise :)

I've never had a working center before so not sure what to expect. The current setup with the RB-35 sounds fine, and it's frequency response range should play human voices just fine, which seems to be the point of a center.

Thank you,

2 hours ago, Wojtek said:

Bought some RB-35 to use one as a center. Connected it temporarily instead of my Left, and tested it with some music. Mid and High frequencies sound exactly as my RF35. Lows are pretty meh. I guess the second woofer and extra 2.15 cubic feet of enclosure of the towers do make a difference.

I really think the RB-35 might be as good or a better choice than the RC-62.  Same woofer, horn, and tweeter as the RF-35.  If it is not a must to have a horizontally oriented center channel, then do the RB-35.  If you have your AVR settings for the LFE at anywhere from 60Hz to 80Hz for the front soundstage, then the size difference of the RBs and RFs won't really make a big difference.

Bill

• Like 2

I can make the bookshelf fit by splitting the entertainment center furniture into two sections and having the bookshelf in the middle raised 2 inches off the floor angled a few degrees backwards towards ear level. It's height would come up flush with the receiver for a seamless look, so that's not a problem :) (would give me an excuse to do some woodworking)

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1