New DVD Player

JohnA

I have a Sony DVP-S3000 DVD player. I selected it because it has 2 seperate lasers; one optimised for DVD and one optimised for CD. It was built before the DTS standard was set. Such are the risks of the early adopter. It will pass DTS if it is all that's on the disc. Otherwise it will pass anything BUT DTS. Sony says it can't be modified.

I'm thinking about another *cheap* DTS capable DVD player for DTS only. If I take the digital out to my pre/pro and let it do the decoding, will I lose sound quality? DTS is all about quality and I want that, but I can't see plopping down the big bux for a transport until DVD-A and SACD are settled.

John

John, letting your pre-amp or processor decode DTS will not degrade the quality as long as it is a decent piece of equipment. It should actually improve the quality, although I doubt it will be audible. There is less chance of signal interference if you use the digital out. I would suggust the Toshiba SD2200 (should be $250 - $280), I have one and love it for the money. It also has HDCD, so when you upgrade you can use it as a spare CD / DVD-V player in a bedroom or second room. That is my plan anyway. I am waiting for a true multi-player with progressive scan in the sub $1000 range. It will probably be a couple of years, but this player does quite well for now. I have had this player for over a year and it has had no problems, plus it has a twin disk tray, component video, nice zoom features, and a decent remote.

Just my two cents.

JT

• 4 weeks later...

Decibel man,

Check out the Denon 2800, I believe it might be what you are looking for. It is an awesome unit.

Paul C.

quote:

Originally posted by decibel man:

John, letting your pre-amp or processor decode DTS will not degrade the quality as long as it is a decent piece of equipment. It should actually improve the quality, although I doubt it will be audible. There is less chance of signal interference if you use the digital out. I would suggust the Toshiba SD2200 (should be $250 - $280), I have one and love it for the money. It also has HDCD, so when you upgrade you can use it as a spare CD / DVD-V player in a bedroom or second room. That is my plan anyway. I am waiting for a true multi-player with progressive scan in the sub $1000 range. It will probably be a couple of years, but this player does quite well for now. I have had this player for over a year and it has had no problems, plus it has a twin disk tray, component video, nice zoom features, and a decent remote.

Just my two cents.

JT

Paul thanks for the tip, how much does that denon run? I also just read a small article on the CES show in Vegas that talked about Toshiba's SD4700 coming out later this summer or fall. It will play DVD-Audio, DVD-Video with progressive scan and multiple CD formats. The target MSRP is a mere $400. Now we are talking about something I can get into at a decent price. It does not play SACD though. I think it may be best to wait a while longer and see where the dust settles.

get a dvd player w/ a decent transport. that toshiba sounds like a good deal. i sell sony and while the s360 is a good cheap unit it will not play cdr's. if two tray and hdcd is important, get the toshiba. sony next generation dvd players are supposed to play cdr and cdrw's, and i will have those available this week and answer any ?'s you may have. avman