Would you put an RP 8000 in a 4x4m size bedroom? Or is it overkill?

I’ve been itching to buy floor standing speakers to go with my RP 160s, SVS SB-2000, a Yamaha R-N602 and an OLED tv. I used them for music, primarily, but also movies on occasion. 

I listen to classical music and jazz. I’ve treated my walls to control some of the high frequencies and the base. The RP 160s will move to support duty. It’s a choice between the 8000 and the 5000. I intend to make a purchase very soon. 

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, will my receiver (the Yamaha R-N602) be able to drive both the RP 8000 and the 160s? This is the spec sheet.

EDIT 2: I just realized that I posted a similar thread on here. Apologies; I totally forgot. 

Edited by Man in the Box

22 minutes ago, willland said:

Or is it overkill?

No such thing IMO.  Back off on the volume if you feel "overkill".

With that said, I'm sure the RP 160Ms with your SB-2000 do a bang up job filling that room.

Bill

I feel like they don’t, tbh. I put the bass gain on the receiver to around +65 to be level with the sub, but it still doesn’t catch up. I love the 160s, but I’ve always felt that they’re somehow inadequate. I thought a sub would solve this problem, but it only exacerbated it (unless I tone it down, which beats the purpose).

2 minutes ago, Man in the Box said:

I feel like they don’t, tbh. I put the bass gain on the receiver to around +65 to be level with the sub, but it still doesn’t catch up. I love the 160s, but I’ve always felt that they’re somehow inadequate. I thought a sub would solve this problem, but it only exacerbated it (unless I tone it down, which beats the purpose).

Maybe ad a small sealed 8" or 10" subwoofer to fill the gap between the 12" from the SB-2000 to the 6.5" drivers of the RP160Ms.

This sub below is the perfect one to do that, if you can find one.

Klipsch XW-300d

Klipsch Icon Series Xw 300D Users Manual Sheet

Bill

1 minute ago, Man in the Box said:

Also, why is there no such thing as overkill? Might the mid bass get out of control, for instance? 

I get what you are saying but you can control the volume.  Maybe it should have been worded, under most conditions there is no such thing as overkill.

Bill

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Man in the Box said:

Also, why is there no such thing as overkill? Might the mid bass get out of control, for instance? 

If it fits in the room it's not overkill, IMO

I have never had the midbass get out of control. To me if it does it's a room problem.

5 hours ago, willland said:

Maybe it should have been worded, under most conditions there is no such thing as overkill.

True, and I am not the person that has a good grip on the overkill thing to start with.

Actually Roy says a large horn will control the room better than a smaller horn, but I don't think he has a good grip on the overkill thing either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, willland said:

Maybe ad a small sealed 8" or 10" subwoofer to fill the gap between the 12" from the SB-2000 to the 6.5" drivers of the RP160Ms.

This sub below is the perfect one to do that, if you can find one.

Klipsch XW-300d

Bill

But the sub still only covers the same frequencies as the one I have. It's the bass above what the sub handles that I have an issue with (because it the size of the woofers on the 160s).

7 minutes ago, Man in the Box said:

Also, will my receiver (the Yamaha R-N602) be able to drive both the RP 8000 and the 160s? How can I learn more about this?

Both sets are 8ohm "nominal" so it should be fine as long as the volume level is "reasonable".  Plus your subwoofer will lighten the load on the Yamaha.

Bill

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, willland said:

Both sets are 8ohm "nominal" so it should be fine as long as the volume level is "reasonable".  Plus your subwoofer will lighten the load on the Yamaha.

Bill

What does "reasonable" mean? I generally don't blast my music. The Yamaha starts at -80 and ends at +16 when measuring decibels. On the RP 160s and the SVS sub, the loudest I'll go is around -15. I don't know if this + the receiver's spec sheet would mean anything to you.

36 minutes ago, Man in the Box said:

But the sub still only covers the same frequencies as the one I have.

Maybe set the SB-2000 to roll in at say 40Hz with a smaller sub at maybe 80Hz.  A transition from a 6.5" driver to an 8" or 10" woofer should be a smoother hand off than to a 12" woofer.

Bill

1 minute ago, Man in the Box said:

What does "reasonable" mean? I generally don't blast my music. The Yamaha starts at -80 and ends at +16 when measuring decibels.

Well, you should know/hear when your speakers are clipping.  It will be loud with no depth or definition, just loud.  I usually listen to my stereo rigs at about -30 to -25 which usually equates to about 85dB from my listening position.

Bill 

It just dawned on me that I made a similar thread before. Apologies, friends. Only comes to show how much I want those towers! The retsil store only has one pair left, and given that the world is going to hell, they won’t import new cargo any time soon. 

Dying to pull the trigger. I’m still recuperating from my OLED TV purchase. But my reasoning is that this is going to make quarantine more productive 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Man in the Box said:

•  

You mention your is 4M x 4M (aprox 12 feet x 12 feet).

It's the same dimension in two of three proportions (LxWxH). (square). What's the ceiling height?

A square (or even worse, a cube) is not particularly good for smooth, even bass response. The size is kind of small too. Many times smaller speakers are more appropriate for smaller rooms.

In a space like you have you're sure to encounter some major acoustic modal problems in the lower frequencies where some bass frequencies may be much louder while other ones nearly disappear. In a small space like that, multiple smaller subs would work much better. I have a decent sized room (aprox. 20x30x8). I'm using four subs distributed throughout the room. Just a thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Man in the Box said:

It just dawned on me that I made a similar thread before. Apologies, friends. Only comes to show how much I want those towers! The retsil store only has one pair left, and given that the world is going to hell, they won’t import new cargo any time soon. 

Dying to pull the trigger. I’m still recuperating from my OLED TV purchase. But my reasoning is that this is going to make quarantine more productive 😬

if you want them and the price is right for you then buy them. If however you are buying them specifically for your bedroom no it will not be a good match. A very small two way will work a lot better in your bedroom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moray james said:

if you want them and the price is right for you then buy them. If however you are buying them specifically for your bedroom no it will not be a good match. A very small two way will work a lot better in your bedroom.

What you’re saying seems sensible. But would you advise me to buy the RP 5000, then? I know, viscerally, that the 160s just aren’t enough. The sound seems “thin,” if that makes sense. 

4 hours ago, artto said:

You mention your is 4M x 4M (aprox 12 feet x 12 feet).

It's the same dimension in two of three proportions (LxWxH). (square). What's the ceiling height?

A square (or even worse, a cube) is not particularly good for smooth, even bass response. The size is kind of small too. Many times smaller speakers are more appropriate for smaller rooms.

In a space like you have you're sure to encounter some major acoustic modal problems in the lower frequencies where some bass frequencies may be much louder while other ones nearly disappear. In a small space like that, multiple smaller subs would work much better. I have a decent sized room (aprox. 20x30x8). I'm using four subs distributed throughout the room. Just a thought.

The trouble is that I’ve already invested in a very good SVS 12 inch sealed sub. I feel that adding a pair of speakers should add more volume in the mids and mid lows, which I feel are most lacking. 

5 minutes ago, Man in the Box said:

The trouble is that I’ve already invested in a very good SVS 12 inch sealed sub. I feel that adding a pair of speakers should add more volume in the mids and mid lows, which I feel are most lacking. 

Are you saying you want to add an additional pair of speakers, floor standing ones? Do you intend to use them at the same time with the RP60? (I was assuming you would be replacing the RP60)