After years of waiting, I finally bought my first set of Heresy I's. They need a little love, advice? Link to pics inside.

Rexxis

I hauled one of the Heresy's down to the garage this afternoon and got to work. I went ahead an bought a Ryobi DA sander and some 220 pads. The Ryobi came with 3 pads of its own, 80, 150, and 220 grit and I'm glad it did because I ended up using the 150 pad. The tops are by far the worst on both cabinets and I needed more than the 220 to get the several water marks out of the first one. The other cabinet has two rings on it, so that will be interesting. There is one discolored area on this one that you can still see even after sanding. After working it for several minutes with the 150, I decided to call it quits. I sure didn't want to overdo it. It still looks heaps better than it did before. I finished the top off with 220. The rest of the cabinet only needed the 220 grit to clean up. After sanding, I wiped everything down with acetone and made sure they were dust free, then I put on the first coat of oil. I am beyond pleased with the results and I can't wait to see what several more coats will do.

Take a look: https://imgur.com/gallery/K08mptV

Tomorrow I'm starting in on the other one. 

Edited by Rexxis
  • Like 2

I got a response on my WTB ad about the badges. So the 1979's came with the laser etched style badges? Here is what is being offered. It is to my understanding that these are in decent condition for their age, but is there a common way to get these badges looking new again?

Klipsch Badges.jpg

I have been eyeing these aluminum replicas. The price makes them pretty interesting.. ugh. I want to put the real ones on them but at 5 to 6x the price of these..

I think I'll wait till I'm done with the woodwork to make my decision. 

5 hours ago, Rexxis said:

I hauled one of the Heresy's down to the garage this afternoon and got to work. I went ahead an bought a Ryobi DA sander and some 220 pads. The Ryobi came with 3 pads of its own, 80, 150, and 220 grit and I'm glad it did because I ended up using the 150 pad. The tops are by far the worst on both cabinets and I needed more than the 220 to get the several water marks out of the first one. The other cabinet has two rings on it, so that will be interesting. There is one discolored area on this one that you can still see even after sanding. After working it for several minutes with the 150, I decided to call it quits. I sure didn't want to overdo it. It still looks heaps better than it did before. I finished the top off with 220. The rest of the cabinet only needed the 220 grit to clean up. After sanding, I wiped everything down with acetone and made sure they were dust free, then I put on the first coat of oil. I am beyond pleased with the results and I can't wait to see what several more coats will do.

Take a look: https://imgur.com/gallery/K08mptV

Tomorrow I'm starting in on the other one. 

Great job with the restoration.  Absolutely beautiful.

tp11lgs.jpg

Bill

• Like 1

I would have used watco rejuvenating oil....reinforce inside of access panel with layer of 1/4 ply......put foam seal for the access panel....put new washer or O-ring on mid driver....change caps in crossover loosen and retighten all connections on crossover.....put in banana plug connectors on access panel.....tighten all screws holding woofer and horns. You can get lambs wool cloth if you want to change color of the grills. https://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=59-135X     Oh yea if your going to sit them on hard smooth surface get some furniture grippers for them. Then get a Haram Kardon twin powered reciever 430..630..730...and enjoy.IMAG0527.thumb.jpg.26b5ad00eea669a644e73d4d831b02fe.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, Rexxis said:

Alright, after more reading, I cancelled my order of Howard's products.

As Jimbo says Watco is what I use and it is what Klipsch recommended. I don't remember where I read that tip from Klipsch but that is what they recommended.

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

I would have used watco rejuvenating oil....reinforce inside of access panel with layer of 1/4 ply......put foam seal for the access panel....put new washer or O-ring on mid driver....change caps in crossover loosen and retighten all connections on crossover.....put in banana plug connectors on access panel.....tighten all screws holding woofer and horns. You can get lambs wool cloth if you want to change color of the grills. https://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=59-135X     Oh yea if your going to sit them on hard smooth surface get some furniture grippers for them. Then get a Haram Kardon twin powered reciever 430..630..730...and enjoy.IMAG0527.thumb.jpg.26b5ad00eea669a644e73d4d831b02fe.jpg

Wow, that is a sharp looking setup Rick!

I looked around alot and I liked the look of the Linseed oil more than what I was seeing from Watco.

All of your recommendations are exactly what I'm interested in. Several questions..

1. Where do I get the foam seal for the back panel? Can you link to or name a product to look for?

2. Where do I find the new gasket for the mid driver? Link me? Does it go between the driver and the horn or between the horn and the cabinet?

3. What are my search terms to find a new banana plug style input panel to put in the back panel? Link or search terms? Are there replacements that drop right in?

EDIT: just saw your link to the plugs. So I'm guessing a guy would drill a hole for each one of those and run wires from old spade connectors to the banana plugs so that either may be used?

4. Does the visual condition of the caps have any reflection on their working condition? Mine look basically brand new still. 

That light colored cloth would sure pop with the new finish of the cabs....

Excellent advice! I appreciate it.

Also, I am building an all new system with these so I am in the market for a receiver. Suggestions welcome but I'd like to stay under the 4-500 dollar mark for now and maybe upgrade in a year or so. 

Edited by Rexxis

On 5/12/2020 at 1:40 PM, jimjimbo said:

150 grit is pretty heavy.  I'd be careful with that, or go to a finer grit.  I have always used an orbital sander with light pressure, again, with the grain.

Curious which brand-model? I never had much luck with them fine sanding, but then mine is the old rectancular style. Might be time for an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Curious which brand-model? I never had much luck with them fine sanding, but then mine is the old rectancular style. Might be time for an upgrade.

This is what I have. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-6-Amp-Corded-5-in-Random-Orbital-Sander-RS290G/205105594

I found that the faster I moved the sander, the more material it removed. For the most part I just let the weight of the sander do the work and I just guided it back and forth. 

2 hours ago, Rexxis said:

1. Where do I get the foam seal for the back panel? Can you link to or name a product to look for?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZDJ19L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Where do I find the new gasket for the mid driver? Link me? Does it go between the driver and the horn or between the horn and the cabinet?

Bob Crites.  Between driver and horn.  Horn to driver gaskets.

https://critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

3. What are my search terms to find a new banana plug style input panel to put in the back panel? Link or search terms? Are there replacements that drop right in?

EDIT: just saw your link to the plugs. So I'm guessing a guy would drill a hole for each one of those and run wires from old spade connectors to the banana plugs so that either may be used?

4. Does the visual condition of the caps have any reflection on their working condition? Mine look basically brand new still. 

No, the visual condition says nothing.  Highly recommend changing  them.

That light colored cloth would sure pop with the new finish of the cabs....

Excellent advice! I appreciate it.

Also, I am building an all new system with these so I am in the market for a receiver. Suggestions welcome but I'd like to stay under the 4-500 dollar mark for now and maybe upgrade in a year or so. 

Two channel or HT?  If two channel, highly recommend you find a restored HK 430, 730, or 930.  All within your budget.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rexxis said:

This is what I have. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-6-Amp-Corded-5-in-Random-Orbital-Sander-RS290G/205105594

I found that the faster I moved the sander, the more material it removed. For the most part I just let the weight of the sander do the work and I just guided it back and forth. 

You better be real careful as you never know how thin the veneer is and once you sand through it you are screwed.

Caps that old are always bad, period.

EBay sells strips of heat and bond Walnut veneer to repair front edge damage. You might have to get a wood dye kit to match the color of aged Walnut though.

10 hours ago, Budman said:

This is the same guy, Burton, that I just got some replica "Industrial" badges for the set of La Scalas that I am about to refurbish.

Great guy to deal with and my Industrial replicas are not a dead match to the OEM ones on my HIPs,

but they are very close and nobody accept me would know that they are not the real McCoy.

LS_Badge.thumb.jpg.7869183b32163551cd9e94f9b0c7f06f.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 9:57 AM, jason str said:

Just caught the smouldering rag on the basement banister after using boiled linseed oil on dad's Altec's when i was just a kid.

I just throw such rags in a bucket full of water when I'm done with them just in case.

I burn them when I 'm done ---

• Like 1