After years of waiting, I finally bought my first set of Heresy I's. They need a little love, advice? Link to pics inside.

Rexxis

1 hour ago, HPower said:

This is the same guy, Burton, that I just got some replica "Industrial" badges for the set of La Scalas that I am about to refurbish.

Great guy to deal with and my Industrial replicas are not a dead match to the OEM ones on my HIPs,

but they are very close and nobody accept me would know that they are not the real McCoy.

LS_Badge.thumb.jpg.7869183b32163551cd9e94f9b0c7f06f.jpg

the originals are textured , you can tell the difference very easily , but  there is 0 chance you will find any new originals , I  bought the last few pairs klipsch had about 10 years ago- and yes , the new badges actually look very good , and the seller is TOP NOTCH

12 hours ago, Rexxis said:

I have been eyeing these aluminum replicas. The price makes them pretty interesting.. ugh. I want to put the real ones on them but at 5 to 6x the price of these..

I think I'll wait till I'm done with the woodwork to make my decision. 

The originals were engraved , then painted -  the new reproduction are painted on a flat surface -

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Two channel or HT?  If two channel, highly recommend you find a restored HK 430, 730, or 930.  All within your budget.

I wrote a whole response to several things earlier but I guess I never hit "Submit Reply." Shoot.

I was thinking I'd go with a Marantz or maybe a Sansui. I have now seen the Harmon Kardons recommended several times with Heresies, is there a reason behind that are are they just generally great receivers? 

What should I expect to pay for a restored HK 730? I'm assuming this is a bit high? Seems it had EVERYTHING fixed up. https://reverb.com/item/15018296-fully-restored-harman-kardon-730-stereo-receiver-dual-power-supply-design-great-looks-and-sound

Is there a go-to person here on the forums that restores the HK's? I know a guy here in town but he deals almost exclusively in Marantz.

I'm open to other ideas about receivers to pair with the Heresies, are there any other popular pairings?

Here's some more pictures. https://imgur.com/gallery/KIOWF7K

On 5/14/2020 at 8:41 AM, Rexxis said:

This is what I have. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-6-Amp-Corded-5-in-Random-Orbital-Sander-RS290G/205105594

I found that the faster I moved the sander, the more material it removed. For the most part I just let the weight of the sander do the work and I just guided it back and forth. 

I have looked at those but the- orbital-keep me away from them. Now I'am thinking the corners of my rectangluar pad sander are what  caused the swirls. Thanks, I will have to  try one of round pad  sanders.

• Like 1

Just came across this.. $450 CAD translates to roughly $320 USD. I like the look of the 730 more though..

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649615052-harmon-kardon-930-high-end-receiver-made-in-japan/images/2688113/

What kind of wattage do the I's like best? I don't want to be able to hurt them. I'm seeing Heresy I specs at 100W continuous/400W peak.

Edited by Rexxis

6 hours ago, HPower said:

Here is a comparison with HIP and then how I will apply to La Scalas...

They are not a perfect match, but I think for the price they will do the trick

my Lascala industrial cabs use similar badges

Sold Klipsch La Scala in Acworth - letgo

7 hours ago, RANDYH said:

my Lascala industrial cabs use similar badges

This is the exact look mine will have after I am done refurbing them, hopefully.

Right now mine are pretty rough as you can see.

Rather than do a TON of fill on my exterior, I am going to laminate 1/2in Baltic Birch via PL and screws to the top, bottom, and sides.

I did a similar approach on my Peavey cabinets, which I then veneered with Walnut.

To keep with the Industrial theme, I will round the edges and Duratex them after the 1/2in BB is applied.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rexxis said:

I was thinking I'd go with a Marantz or maybe a Sansui. I have now seen the Harmon Kardons recommended several times with Heresies, is there a reason behind that are are they just generally great receivers? 

As far as solid state stereo receivers/preamp-amps/integrated amps, I have found that H1s,H2s,etc. adapt well with most reputable brands.  I have used 70's vintage Marantz, Sansui, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood, 80's/90's Denon, Luxman, Onkyo/Integra, modern Onkyo/Integra, NAD, B&K, Acurus, Anthem, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Sunfire, Adcom, Marantz, and all have been unable to make them sound bad.  Some pieces better than others but still very enjoyable.

Bill

10 hours ago, Rexxis said:

What kind of wattage do the I's like best? I don't want to be able to hurt them. I'm seeing Heresy I specs at 100W continuous/400W peak.

The specs are relatively meaningless for what you are asking.  10 watts would likely take them to ear bleeding levels.

11 hours ago, Rexxis said:

I have now seen the Harmon Kardons recommended several times with Heresies, is there a reason behind that are are they just generally great receivers? 

The amplifier sections of the HKs is what sets them apart.  Individual power supplies for the left and right channels yields excellent clarity and channel separation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rexxis said:

Just came across this.. $450 CAD translates to roughly $320 USD. I like the look of the 730 more though..

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649615052-harmon-kardon-930-high-end-receiver-made-in-japan/images/2688113/

That is a good price on the 930, not that common up here in Canada.

I paid $550cnd for my last 930, put about $300 into it for a recap.

I think I sold it 2 years or so ago for about the same that I paid, $550cnd... the buyer got a nice recap for no extra.

I have had 930s, a 630, and 730... all of these sounded great with my previous Cornwalls and Cornscalas.

Never had one of these receivers to try on my newly built Heresy3s but I do have a HK505, integrated from about 1979

which is 2 or 3 years after the 1976 HK730.

The 505 is twinpowered, it only has one transformer but has dual secondary windings in the transformer,

so not a true twin powered like either the 930 or 730.

There is nothing wrong with the way this 505 sounds with the H3s, more than enough power for them, at 60wpc.

3 weeks ago I picked up a very nice condition Sansui AU-717 that I have been using in the 2nd system on the H3s

This Sansui seems like a very good pairing for the Heresey!

Tons of power at 80wpc and gives a full musical presentation.

Keep in mind with any of these vintage machines, they are 40 years old and really should be overhauled.

I already have my 717 in queue for a complete refurberation, which will be as much as I paid for the thing.

• Like 2

I am actually in the process of finishing a set of 1982 Heresy 1's.  I'm looking forward to getting them done soon.  I have replaced all the drivers (CT-120/A-55-G/CW-1228), recapped the crossovers and transferred everything to a smaller board, and braced the boxes.  I picked up some 70th anniversary-like material for the grills and will be using magnets to hold them in place.

49898386502_66e91fc704_h.jpg 

These were in decent condition for being refinished when I bought them last year.  I did have to re-glue some peeling veneer and splinters and sanding out some blemishes and such.  

48409882252_3e5a33bbd9_h.jpg

Awesome!

So what I'm learning is that it's worth waiting to find a restored/recapped machine.

I'm all over Hifishark.com and USAaudiomart.com today. Are there any other good sites to take a look at? 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on something when I find something I like. I'm looking for something that's in very good to mint condition that's been restored and has a bit of wow factor when you turn it on(LED's and whatnot). 😉

2 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I am actually in the process of finishing a set of 1982 Heresy 1's.  I'm looking forward to getting them done soon.  I have replaced all the drivers (CT-120/A-55-G/CW-1228), recapped the crossovers and transferred everything to a smaller board, and braced the boxes.  I picked up some 70th anniversary-like material for the grills and will be using magnets to hold them in place.

49898386502_66e91fc704_h.jpg 

These were in decent condition for being refinished when I bought them last year.  I did have to re-glue some peeling veneer and splinters and sanding out some blemishes and such.  

48409882252_3e5a33bbd9_h.jpg

Killer! I like the idea of using magnets for the grilles. After removing the Velcro from the cabs, what did you use to refinish the black?

I doubt I will get this far into mine. I plan on at minimum, replacing caps w Crites, sealing the cabs, installing new horn to driver gaskets, and putting in access panel gasket. But first, I want to listen to them for just a little bit so that I will be able to really hear any improvement. 

Also, I'm having a buddy who does carpentry make me a set of slant risers from walnut ply. I plan to oil them and am hoping they will be a close enough match. He says he will have em done by next week. 🤞

1 minute ago, Rexxis said:

Killer! I like the idea of using magnets for the grilles. After removing the Velcro from the cabs, what did you use to refinish the black?

I doubt I will get this far into mine. I plan on at minimum, replacing caps w Crites, sealing the cabs, installing new horn to driver gaskets, and putting in access panel gasket. But first, I want to listen to them for just a little bit so that I will be able to really hear any improvement. 

Also, I'm having a buddy who does carpentry make me a set of slant risers from walnut ply. I plan to oil them and am hoping they will be a close enough match. He says he will have em done by next week. 🤞

I will be doing the black this weekend/next week.  I will be using DuraTex.  I am going to run some screws in flush or slightly sunk into the baffle in the same location the velcro was.  I will then fill over them and finish with the DuraTex.  I picked up some small magnets that will be able to use the sunken screws to hold the grill.  

Between these and my La Scala's (which I will also refinish this year), these will probably be the last set of real speakers I ever buy, so I want to make them like new.  :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rexxis said:

Awesome!

So what I'm learning is that it's worth waiting to find a restored/recapped machine.

I'm all over Hifishark.com and USAaudiomart.com today. Are there any other good sites to take a look at? 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on something when I find something I like. I'm looking for something that's in very good to mint condition that's been restored and has a bit of wow factor when you turn it on(LED's and whatnot). 😉

For this AU-717, I decided to go the opposite route, as mint as I could find and untouched inside, which is what I found.

Tom_717_sm.thumb.jpg.ba427a67e6c6b36b41c37f07df3dcfe9.jpg

Tom_back.thumb.jpg.d231f379da22ae2df4514886920dda7f.jpg

My intention was to have an unmolested unit that I could have the work done by a known tech so that I could validate exactly what will be done for refurb.

Knowing that all issues and potential issues have been addressed will give me piece of mind down the road.

Mind you, a quality job like this will put a dent in the wallet...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/leestereos-restoration-upgrade-of-a-sansui-au-717.641945/

• Like 3