Tangent 500 vs KG 5.2?

JetRun15

Hello everyone! Hope you are staying safe amid this pandemic. Finally sold off my Bose 201 Series IIIs after being told how bad Bose was, and was on the hunt for some good vintage horn speakers when I came across both the KG 5.2s and Tangent 500. I love both speakers due to their older aesthetic design (early 90s) and don't have a profile that's like a traditional slim tower speakers used in traditional HTs. However, I was wondering which speaker is recommended? From what I have seen they each tend to be compared to other different Klipsch speakers (Hersey, Chorus, etc.)  rather than each other. The KG 5.2 I found locally on Cragslist for about $350 and the Tangent 500 for $450 on eBay. I would also like if these recommendations would be between these two speakers (as the often common response is buying Fortes and calling it good however, due to the fact those speakers are above my budget of being a broke college student, this suggestion is off the table). Would greatly appreciate the opinions of other Klipsch owners regarding these two amazing speakers. Should also add lastly I do plan to use these speakers mainly for music listening, but also for some movies and TV shows, as it'll be hooked up to an A/V Receiver. Thank you for your guys times! 

Edited by JetRun15

The tangent is a Forte in its parts people will say the cabinet is not as good as a Forte I don't see the difference. This will come down to your preference do you prefer a two way or a three way. The KG5.2 should have a set of Bob Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms installed to make a fair comparison and you can swap out the ti diaphragm into the Forte when you listen to them so the comparison will be fair. The Dual tens of the 5.2 will push almost 50% more air than a single 12" woofer in the Forte. I would suggest if the prices are good buy both compare them sell the pair you like least. Both two ways and three ways have strengths and weaknesses the balance you will prefer only you know. The only way you will know is to make the comparisons for yourself in your system. Nobody here can tell you what you will like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moray james said:

The tangent is a Forte in its parts people will say the cabinet is not as good as a Forte I don't see the difference. This will come down to your preference do you prefer a two way or a three way. The KG5.2 should have a set of Bob Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms installed to make a fair comparison and you can swap out the ti diaphragm into the Forte when you listen to them so the comparison will be fair. The Dual tens of the 5.2 will push almost 505 more are than a single 12" woofer in the Forte. I would suggest if the prices are good buy both compare them sell the pair you like least. Both two ways and three ways have strengths and weaknesses the balance you will prefer only you know. The only way you will know is to make the comparisons for yourself in your system. Nobody here can tell you what you will like.

that's interesting , a KG 5,2 has 2 firing 10 inch woofers ,  no contest - -

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 000 said:

sorry, that should have read; two ten inch woofers will push almost 50% more air than a single 12 inch woofer can and you will have higher power handling due to the dual voice coils. which presentation you will like will be up to you. Speaker set up counts for a lot and I never recommend you listen off axis as so many folks do, you only have to look at the off axis response of any speaker to understand why I say this yet most people do not listen on axis. Just a comment as to overall spectral balance the Forte and the Forte ll are both better than the KG5.2 but even with that I still prefer a good two way over a good three way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moray james said:

sorry, that should have read; two ten inch woofers will push almost 50% more air than a single 12 inch woofer can and you will have higher power handling due to the dual voice coils. which presentation you will like will be up to you. Speaker set up counts for a lot and I never recommend you listen off axis as so many folks do, you only have to look at the off axis response of any speaker to understand why I say this yet most people do not listen on axis. Just a comment as to overall spectral balance the Forte and the Forte ll are both better than the KG5.2 but even with that I still prefer a good two way over a good three way.

thanks Moray - Cheers

I appreciate the feedback I am hearing so far. Think I'll insert my opinion here for now, but of course this can be changed as more people post. I am thinking of getting the KG 5.2s as they are somewhat nearby (being a 3 hour drive) to get them picked up, as even if I wanted to consider getting the Tangent 500, I am unable to get it just due to the fact I found out the individual who's selling the Tangent 500 doesn't ship (local pickup in a different state) so seems like the KG 5.2s are the winner for me (at the time of writing). Additionally I do not mind the sound of a two way system (probably because that's all I have ever heard mostly) so that's probably another reason why the KG 5.2s are a plus for me. 

With that said though, I have heard that the Tangent is actually a cheaper unit in terms of quality over the KG, is this true? I would think with the way how the Tangent is a three way driver KG (essentially) it would technically be better. If I could get feedback on this that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all! 

• Like 1

PM sent,

The T500's would be my first choice by far having owned the T5000's & listening to KG5's. Would it be worth the three hour drive is up to you but I would do it. Yes you may need to give T500's a little bit of loving and for me it was rewarding with the end results. You really need to give them both a listen to see what you like since you are coming from Bose which sound so very different from Klipsch.

Your taste & eardrums may vary.

7 hours ago, JetRun15 said:

I appreciate the feedback I am hearing so far. Think I'll insert my opinion here for now, but of course this can be changed as more people post. I am thinking of getting the KG 5.2s as they are somewhat nearby (being a 3 hour drive) to get them picked up, as even if I wanted to consider getting the Tangent 500, I am unable to get it just due to the fact I found out the individual who's selling the Tangent 500 doesn't ship (local pickup in a different state) so seems like the KG 5.2s are the winner for me (at the time of writing). Additionally I do not mind the sound of a two way system (probably because that's all I have ever heard mostly) so that's probably another reason why the KG 5.2s are a plus for me. 

With that said though, I have heard that the Tangent is actually a cheaper unit in terms of quality over the KG, is this true? I would think with the way how the Tangent is a three way driver KG (essentially) it would technically be better. If I could get feedback on this that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all! 

Same parts and quality in a 3-way Tangent as in a 3-way Klipsch. If you go with the KG5.2 order a pair of titanium tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites to upgrade from the stock phenolic 5.2 diaphragms. Big improvement in clarity and detail.

Well, the two smaller woofers may together move more air, but unless they're crossed over differently from one another there will be resultant anomalies towards the top of their range.  And if they are crossed over differently, there will be anomalies through that region.  Generally speaking.

Is the KG an MTM design?  I forget.

Welcome to the forum!

There is a decent looking

set of T-500's on JAX craigslist

that have been there every bit of 3 months, priced at $450. Why.is because they are too expensive.

The KG 5.2 I have also seen for less. Having had the T-500's for a bargain, I would pay no more than 

$300, probably less. Have had the KG-5.5 also and think that if a good example of the 5.2 came up

I would pay no more than $300.

A three hour road trip, on your part is worth seller knocking off the money. So, between the 2, would consider the KG if between the 2 for your purposes if you become keen on them.

What may consider if patient is that Forte 1&2 come up at times for in the price e range you may desire. Location and frequency

of Klipsch speakers near you whether craigslist list or other, may land you a bargain set of other

speakers, especially if you are

willing to do the road trip thing.

Practically the whole vintage range of speakers have fetched more money lately is the trend. There are now and will be exceptions to price everyday.Good fortune and be safe. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glens said:

Well, the two smaller woofers may together move more air, but unless they're crossed over differently from one another there will be resultant anomalies towards the top of their range.  And if they are crossed over differently, there will be anomalies through that region.  Generally speaking.

Is the KG an MTM design?  I forget.

You are right about the inter driver interactions and that is why the 2.5 way was invented. That said the crossover issues of a typical three way in my opinion are a little more bothersome than those of a three driver two way so I still feel that the KG 5.2 ( WWT) wins but this is as I said mostly a matter of taste for two way Vs three way designs in general.

It is not difficult or expensive to deal with inter driver issues as will be found in the KG 5.2 or on a three way as well. You can make an acoustical filter using 1/8P thick Fll Acoustical Felt to cover the bottom woofer in a three driver two way or the woofer in a three way. This goes a long way to filter upper end woofer response which is past crossover and which yu do not want to hear. I have attached a photo of my modified H3 with grills in place but the strong light of the flash shows easily the application of Fll felt over the woofer and around the mouth face of the horns. This is a very simple mod and very easy to do. In the case of the H3 the Fll over the woofer is simply friction fit into the inside of the dust cover.

Klipsch Heresy 3 on Skylan Stands.jpg

I am appreciating the feedback I am hearing so far everyone, and I appreciate the warm welcome. Again I hope everyone is staying safe amid this pandemic. As to make things more complicated (and because of this I am unsure if I should make a new thread). I came across some KM-6s for a much cheaper price than the KG 5.2s, however, my concern is there's some damage to the center caps of the drivers on one of the pairs (see attached photo). Is it worth trying to consider the KM-6s over the KG 5.2s as the KM-6 is essentially an identical version of the KG 5.5? I have heard the KM-6 are cheapo models of the KG line up that were sold only in military bases, and because of this I am hesitant whether I should abandon the idea of the KG 5.2s for KM-6s instead. Again, if this is violating the rules of the thread, I'll be more than happy to make a new thread about KG 5.2s vs the KM-6s. I appreciate all your guys support in helping me jump on the Klipsch bandwagon again! 

00G0G_4YYJNGk3VIN_1200x900.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:36 PM, RANDYH said:

The 5.2 has a single active 10" woofer with a 12" passive just below

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JetRun15 said:

I am appreciating the feedback I am hearing so far everyone, and I appreciate the warm welcome.

All three a decent choices, I personally prefer the sound of the 5.2 over the 5.5 but they do not have near the bass slam so if you're a rocker and listen loud and like lots of bass the 5.5 would probably be a better choice.

The Tangents are good speakers as well, very close to the forte but cheaper cabinets and with the front passive not as much bass.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:28 PM, moray james said:

The tangent is a Forte in its parts people will say the cabinet is not as good as a Forte I don't see the difference.

The difference is quite a bit IMO; thinner, lower quality LDF? with no veneer inside or out wrapped in vinyl wrap with surface mounted drivers. The KG cabinets are roughly the same thickness but at least they're veneered both sides of the MDF. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

The difference is quite a bit IMO; thinner, lower quality LDF? with no veneer inside or out wrapped in vinyl wrap with surface mounted drivers. The KG cabinets are roughly the same thickness but at least they're veneered both sides of the MDF. 

Think pretty spot-on there and above.  Put some watts to the 5.5 can get

the bass decent.

13 hours ago, jjptkd said:

most Klipsch have minimal to no internal brace work and many working on a budget upgrade the cabinets of their Klipsch with some brace work. If you are on a very tight budget the Tangent allow you to save even more as installing braces is not complex nor expensive and if the cabinet material is of lower density this will then have very little impact. Not a deal breaker in my estimation. Each to their own.