Jump to content

Tangent 500 vs KG 5.2?


JetRun15
 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, moray james said:

If you are on a very tight budget the Tangent allow you to save even more Not a deal breaker in my estimation. 

I agree with this 100% I had a pair of the 500's and enjoyed them nice sounding speakers kind of a cross between the H-II's and the forte what one would expect based on configuration I was just pointing out there are quality differences in the cabinets some might say extreme how much that impacts performance I'll let others decide I was happy with mine stock.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I agree with this 100% I had a pair of the 500's and enjoyed them nice sounding speakers kind of a cross between the H-II's and the forte what one would expect based on configuration I was just pointing out there are quality differences in the cabinets some might say extreme how much that impacts performance I'll let others decide I was happy with mine stock.

Me too...stock. But not at the price OP mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still checking this post and still loving the feedback! Really appreciate the time everyone is taking to help me out here. In an ironic twist, I have decided to go for a pair of KM-6s I have found, and I am learning towards getting that (despite the damage on it, but this could still change). Of course this is all happening on a new post I made whether I should go for the KM-6 or the KG 5.2s, but feel like I should update those that are curious here about my decision. There's still a good chance I could go with the KG 5.2s if the seller offers me a lower price but we'll see. But for the time being it seems like the KM-6s are the winner for me. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

This has been a great forum to read up on ... I just came across some Tangent 500's for $325 in good condition ... and I currently own and love the KG 5.2's.  My 5.2's have the oiled walnut veneer and look amazing.  They are upstairs in my house, and, in an effort to not completely piss off the neighbors - they offer up more than enough bass to serve my needs. 

 

The 500's seem like they have the same components as a Forte II/Heresy ... this is very appealing and I am sure the sound is similar.  Given the prices of Heresy's and Forte's these days ... I might grab the Tangent 500's and re-veer and update and add bracing to the interior.  Could be a fun project!

 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome, you may still prefer the bass of your KG, but given the passive on bottom front, and comparable build to a forte having its passive on rear, you will have a different sound signature. Similar, yet different to a sealed Heresy, and a forte departure in design with the passive radiator in front. 12 inch like the Forte 1, not as 15 inch on the II model.

Anyway, if good enough condition all around and you are happy enough knowing what you are getting, think worth your time and effort for a project. Think you are saying reveneer instead of revere, 

think would look good.

If the grilles and corners good also, especially if you are looking at changing grill cloth if desired, anyway yes.

Would say $300 or a little less.

But yes having owned a pair.

May have said more than you asked.

Hope it helps...several things can be done. Let us know if anything more. Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BreezusM said:

This has been a great forum to read up on ... I just came across some Tangent 500's for $325 in good condition ... and I currently own and love the KG 5.2's.  My 5.2's have the oiled walnut veneer and look amazing.  They are upstairs in my house, and, in an effort to not completely piss off the neighbors - they offer up more than enough bass to serve my needs. 

 

The 500's seem like they have the same components as a Forte II/Heresy ... this is very appealing and I am sure the sound is similar.  Given the prices of Heresy's and Forte's these days ... I might grab the Tangent 500's and re-veer and update and add bracing to the interior.  Could be a fun project!

 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

 

The t500's are a great value as you have commented already since they share the same drivers to more expensive models. . You will most likely need to do a complete re-seal of the cabs & re cap the xovers as I did on my t5000's (only difference is the t500 has k76 and the k5000 have k75 tweets). I personally prefer the T500/5000's over the forte I having the forward mounted passive & larger cabinet size/volume. The larger size can be a turn off for some people though.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alexander and billybob, thanks both for your response and very helpful information.  Unfortunately the Tangent's sold in a couple of hours ... I was late to the party! None the less, all of this information is very useful for the future and hopefully also for other members of this forum/thread.

 

Cheers to you both.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BreezusM said:

Alexander and billybob, thanks both for your response and very helpful information.  Unfortunately the Tangent's sold in a couple of hours ... I was late to the party! None the less, all of this information is very useful for the future and hopefully also for other members of this forum/thread.

 

Cheers to you both.

Keep your eyes open for a T-400 also...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...