BEST SOLDER TO USE FOR UPGRADING CROSSOVERS?...SILVER?

What is the best solder to use for upgrading crossovers?   I want something for maximum connectivity and durability and ease of use.

Would SILVER be an option?   Does anybody have any opinions or practical knowledge on this matter?  THANK YOU in advance for your thoughts.

I haven't used Cafrdas but have used 63/37 from Kester.  

A thermostatically controlled iron (Haiko or Weller) really changes the game.  There is less chance of overheating the components.

WMcD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edzu1234 said:

What is the best solder to use for upgrading crossovers?   I want something for maximum connectivity and durability and ease of use.

Would SILVER be an option?   Does anybody have any opinions or practical knowledge on this matter?  THANK YOU in advance for your thoughts.

The eutectic solder would be better for the parts, as the melting/solidifying are the same temp. Silver solder has a higher melting temp, requiring a bit more care to not damage parts. I've been using 2% silver solder for over 30 yrs, as the old company I had worked for used it for all the electronic repairs we made. I've simply become used to it, and I use a temp controlled iron.

Due to the ROHS standards in Europe only lead-free solder may be used. The high quality alloys have a silver content of max. 4 %. It is excellent to work with. The solder forms fine pearly drops, so it can be processed very well. Do not forget to use a professional soldering iron

Temperature controlled soldering irons - 30 to 60 Watt: Temperature controlled soldering irons have an electronically controlled heating element. It prevents too high temperatures and thus too hot soldering joints. For this reason, these soldering irons are particularly suitable for fine soldering work in the laboratory. Temperature-controlled soldering irons either have a built-in temperature sensor or the electrical resistance of the heating wire is determined to determine the temperature. Disadvantage: Soldering irons with temperature control are relatively expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2546172.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xsilver+solder+4+%.TRS0&_nkw=silver+solder+4+%&_sacat=0

I like silver bearing solder for its higher melting point.  I don't want my solder joints softening in the middle of "Sweet Jane". 

But I did soften (and ruin) (all) 4 subwoofer voice coils on the next song after "Sweet Jane" some years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...