Pathos classic one MKIII tube rolling

celestial_sound

Hello guys,

I have Pathos classic one MKIII amplifier driving Klipsch RP-600m speakers. The stock tubes are JJ E88CC which i find a bit relaxed to my taste, so i would like to try some other tubes. My priorities would be:

1. Bold rich and forward male/female vocals

2. Wide soundstage

3. Crisp and airly sound

4. Extended LF  

The first point is most important right now for me because with the stock tubes i have a feeling that the vocals are always standing like one meter away from the microphone.  I would like to spend under 100$ if possible for a pair as this will be my first tubes. I've done some basic research and i came to the following options:

1. GENALEX - GOLD LION E88CC / 6922  - 46$ each

2. JAN-PHILIPS 6922 LOW NOISE - 40$ each

3. REFLECTOR 6H23P-EB / 6922  - 60$ each

4. Telefunken Black Diamond E88CC / 6922  - 54$ each

5. Matsushita E88CC (hard to find) - na

Does anyone have experience with any of this tubes? Would you suggest me something else? 

Thanks

On 5/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, celestial_sound said:

Hello guys,

I have Pathos classic one MKIII amplifier driving Klipsch RP-600m speakers. The stock tubes are JJ E88CC which i find a bit relaxed to my taste, so i would like to try some other tubes. My priorities would be:

1. Bold rich and forward male/female vocals

2. Wide soundstage

3. Crisp and airly sound

4. Extended LF  

The first point is most important right now for me because with the stock tubes i have a feeling that the vocals are always standing like one meter away from the microphone.  I would like to spend under 100$ if possible for a pair as this will be my first tubes. I've done some basic research and i came to the following options:

1. GENALEX - GOLD LION E88CC / 6922  - 46$ each

2. JAN-PHILIPS 6922 LOW NOISE - 40$ each

3. REFLECTOR 6H23P-EB / 6922  - 60$ each

4. Telefunken Black Diamond E88CC / 6922  - 54$ each

5. Matsushita E88CC (hard to find) - na

Does anyone have experience with any of this tubes? Would you suggest me something else? 

Thanks

In every amp or preamp I have tried, NOS Mullard Blackburn tubes brought the midrange forward, which means sweeter sounding voices, more centered and forward. Low frequency was also improved, at the cost of slightly tamed highs, which with Klipsch speakers, is usually a good thing. But they do have a wide soundstage so the highs sound more airy. Everyone raves about the Gold Lion's and the Reflektor's, but I have not heard them. Telefunken Black Diamond's, I have been told, are re-branded JJ's.

I have bought many new production and NOS tubes, the only ones I don't regret buying are the NOS Mullard Blackburns.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:17 AM, MechEngVic said:

In every amp or preamp I have tried, NOS Mullard Blackburn tubes brought the midrange forward, which means sweeter sounding voices, more centered and forward. Low frequency was also improved, at the cost of slightly tamed highs, which with Klipsch speakers, is usually a good thing. But they do have a wide soundstage so the highs sound more airy. Everyone raves about the Gold Lion's and the Reflektor's, but I have not heard them. Telefunken Black Diamond's, I have been told, are re-branded JJ's.

I have bought many new production and NOS tubes, the only ones I don't regret buying are the NOS Mullard Blackburns.

Thanks for you replay. Seems like i cant find any 6DJ8 /E88CC/6922  NOS Mullard Blackburn. Do you have any idea where can i find them

13 hours ago, celestial_sound said:

Thanks for you replay. Seems like i cant find any 6DJ8 /E88CC/6922  NOS Mullard Blackburn. Do you have any idea where can i find them

http://www.nostubestore.com/2011/10/mullard-ecc88-6dj8-great-britain.html

I can't recommend this website personally, but I haven't heard anything bad.

Definitely check out Jim Mcshane http://www.mcshanedesign.net/  If he's got them, they're good. He'll give you viable options for other brands if he doesn't have any.