Choices: Forté II for $1250 or Quartet for $650

42 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

Out of the box opportunity is for three La Scalas for $2K. Crites crossovers in each plus a single spare.  Two matching raw birch, one darker, but still light wood—maybe cherry. 

There is your best bet, but still not a bargain.  LS's in Good condition average $1205. A single averages $472.  Three LS across the front sound incredible.  I've heard a couple such setups.

Here is a good research tool.  These are actual SOLD prices, not ASKING prices from Ebay.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2020-05.xlsx

47 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

Thanks so much for weighing in on prices, options, and buying strategy.  I’m grateful for your time and thoughts—and for the diversity of views. 

Out of the box opportunity is for three La Scalas for $2K. Crites crossovers in each plus a single spare.  Two matching raw birch, one darker, but still light wood—maybe cherry. 

One thing that’s been true for me as well as being reported by the group is that opportunity disappears, and the best deals are the most fleeting.  Can’t let money burn a hole in your pocket, but dithering is also unproductive, too.  Context also matters. Price, supply, and demand all factor in—as does time.

Best,

James

There will always be more deals, trust me. Due to the way people's money situation is unfolding, there will lots of boats, bikes, speakers, RVs, second homes and such that will flood the market, and it will be the time to buy, unless you overspend now.  

40 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Buy the LS

^Agree^

1 hour ago, Outrider 6 said:

@Woofers and Tweeters re: more deals will pop up. I do trust you on this. You have a real knack for finding great deals and a commendable willingness to share.  Great service to the community. Thanks!

You're welcome. This place has some great people who are willing to help. Yes, there are deals out there. Take a moment or three to learn what a good deal is, then you can pounce, with knowledge, on a good deal when it rears its head. I have no idea why these lasted for several days. 

My 'knack' is nothing compared to some others. @opusk2k9 is my mentor on finding and sharing good deals. He has freely shared more great deals than anyone else that I know of on here. 

Enjoy what you have, then enjoy what sounds better, gets louder, looks better and such. It's a journey. 

• Like 1

The young lady who was selling these wasn’t very responsive. I contacted her several times. First response took a few days. Second response took four. She may have been overwhelmed, preoccupied with work and school, or some combination of these. 

Update...

Forté IIs were in the box and seem to never had been used. Seller was flipping them and said the original owner had them in the box for the last 20 years. Upon inspection, there was no evidence to suggest anything other than long term storage. Seller had them hooked up to an old Aiwa mini amp for an outside audition.  Clearly not ideal, but you could figure out that: The speakers can get pretty loud, all the drivers work, and the cabinets were superb. 

Then I got a text from the LaScala guy. He’d been really concerned about COVID and had been off and on about the sale. Very concerned about social distancing.  Could I stop by and pick up the LaScalas today?

Fortés were in Aberdeen MD and the La Scalas were in Woodbridge, VA. So 100 miles apart along the I-95 corridor. So I’m eyes on perfect Fortés and faced with walking away from them for a three La Scalas I haven’t yet seen, nor heard. One of the LS was definitely different from the other two. But the two may or may not be a pair. Price is attractive, but without seeing them, I’m not sure that they are a good deal. 

@nickyboy6100  Different rooms. La Scalas would dominate the basement TV room. Fortés would be in a first floor living room.

Great advice, though. I fell for La Scalas 7-10 years before the Forté II even existed. In my limited off-time, I made regular pilgrimages to a stereo store in College Park, MD. I bought a few items there, but never had the money or the space to consider LS.  But I sure did appreciate the sound...