Choices: Forté II for $1250 or Quartet for $650

Fortunately, the does it need two, one, or any sub question will get my attention sometime down the road.  Gotta pay for any speaker I buy first. 

I like the table tuba idea, but that would be a retirement project. 

Has anyone done a “What to do to your used speakers when you get them home” checklist?

Edited by Outrider 6

4 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

Fortunately, the does it need two, one, or any sub question will get my attention sometime down the road.  Gotta pay for any speaker I buy first. 

I like the table tuba idea, but that would be a retirement project. 

you buy a Lascala - or a Forte , you need subs for sure , to avoid a sub -- Chorus -

20 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

you buy a Lascala - or a Forte , you need subs for sure , to avoid a sub -- Chorus -

chorus only go to 45hz, chorus 2 39hz... forte are 32hz.  fortes go quite a bit lower than chorus so chorus(2) "need" a sub more than fortes based on freq responce,  the chorus may be louder overall but dont go lower.  if you want to add the lower octave, all 3 of these speakers need a sub.  

After a bit of discussion, Fortés were available for $1K cash and carry. Not a scratch on them...

Before the thread dipped into 32 Hz subwoofer turbulence, I asked a question about whether anyone had a good check list for what to do with your new (but old) speakers. 

I searched, but didn’t find such a list. So....  Buehler?

2 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

After a bit of discussion, Fortés were available for $1K cash and carry. Not a scratch on them...

Before the thread dipped into 32 Hz subwoofer turbulence, I asked a question about whether anyone had a good check list for what to do with your new (but old) speakers. 

You had better hurry up! Most of the best stuff is gone in the first hour. Lucky for you the price is high, or all of this stuff would be long gone.

$1K is good for the NIB condition with boxes and your location. If you find a scratch, be ready to drop the price or walk.

There is not much you can do while at the sellers location when they are in that fine of condition. Look at everything and bring a high powered flashlight. I bring with me test songs, and full frequency sweeps. You are just looking for functionality of all of the drivers and the crossover points. The frequency sweeps will tell you if the capacitors need replacing. Due to age they will anyway, but should be in working condition. If the seller does not have a functioning stereo setup, I bring one with me, cables and all. I also bring lots of moving blankets, pillows. Maybe a sheet of plywood for a solid base if needed. Straps, but I don't like to use them. Just pack 'em tight. Do not forget to take the grills home with you. I like to make a sale/purchase slip for my own records s/n included, and leave a copy if they want one.

For your money, if you had the space, the 3 La Scalla's would have been a better deal IMHO. They would end up costing you much more after restoration however. If you can not do the restorations yourself bring them to me and I can do that kind of work for you. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outrider 6 said:

Here would be my list – when I got my forte IIs a bit over three years ago.

1. listen to them – take some of your favorite and most familiar tracks at varying volume levels

2. try different placements to see what you like

3. listen some more

4. re cap your crossovers – can be <$20 if you have the ability or know someone who does. There is no gain to buying a brand new xover other than conveyance or skill level.

5. listen some more

6. if you are happy you are done....or

7. Get Bob Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms – these tend to make the tweets a bit brighter if that is what you might like.

For the most part you are done unless you find the urge to want to tinker, some of us do but just as many are happy with there Klipsch speakers at this level.

I rolled the dice and went in big. Ended up with both the Fortés and the La Scalas.  Had the wife join in on both purchases.

Fortés were the easiest to place.  She was very interested in listening to them. She requested Bach’s Tocatta and Fugue, Pachibel’s Canon,  The three Tenors doing Oh Solo Mio, and Herb Alpert doing Taste of Honey.  Apparently, they are sufficient.

LS will be a bit more of a challenge to set up.  Need to move a few things to accommodate them in their intended homes.  I have, of course, hooked them up.  They are magic...

I will follow Alexander’s advice.  But I also want to check manufacturing information, as well as to inventory the components to see what might need to be updated, such as capacitors.  Since the cabinets are fine wood furniture, I know they will require some attention.  I’ll just have to figure out what’s appropriate for each.

Thanks to all for a great introduction to the community. It’s been fun and helpful so far.  I’ve still got a lot to learn, so I’ll be sticking around a while to pick your brains and hopefully to give back something useful as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

I rolled the dice and went in big. Ended up with both the Fortés and the La Scalas.  Had the wife join in on both purchases.

She requested Bach’s Tocatta and Fugue, Pachibel’s Canon,  The three Tenors doing Oh Solo Mio, and Herb Alpert doing Taste of Honey.  

Congrats, new Klipsch owner!  👍

Given your wife's excellent taste in music, for Toccata and Fugue I think she would appreciate a couple of subs, down the road especially with the LS's.

On the jazz side you might try Chuck Mangione Feels So Good, the title song.  It's very pleasant sounding considering it's solo brass flugel horn.  It takes horns to play horns!

On the classical side Saint-Saens Organ Symphony will really show off the the power of the LS's if you crank it.  They will fill you with music.   This is my favorite recording of the Organ Symphony, I like the tempos.  Just perfect.