Choices: Forté II for $1250 or Quartet for $650

2 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

I rolled the dice and went in big. Ended up with both the Fortés and the La Scalas.  Had the wife join in on both purchase.

we would love to see actual pictures of these beauties

22 hours ago, RANDYH said:

great-   what model of sub do you suggest

what brand/model sub to suggest is a big can of worms... my reply was more to your comment that chorus avoids needing a sub when the fact is chorus dont go as low as fortes & all 3 speakers could benefit from a good sub.

IMO, a good sub for either of the 3 speakers mentioned would be something from SVS.  depending on budget, room size & music vs home theater i would start with their 2000 series, SB sealed for music or PB ported for movies or modern music & you prefer loud over accurate, not that ported subs cant be accurate but sealed are usually considered more musical.  personally i have dual SB2000's & for music & movies in a medium sized room they are more than enough & fill in that missing lower octave.  even classic rock type music that doesnt have much info below 40-50hz has a whole new level of bass,  not over bearing boomy car subwoofer type bass, accurate detailed bass that really brings out what was missing in most all music. ive had many other subs ranging from older velodyne to definitive technology to klipsch over the years & the SVS are far better than any of them.... & their higher up models like the 3000/4000 or ultra series are in a whole nother world!  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

ive had many other subs ranging from older velodyne to definitive technology to klipsch over the years & the SVS are far better than any of them.

did you ever try any of the klipsch subs , in their non-powered Series -

The obvious answer is a Klipsch sub. But I am a little leery of powered Klipsch products.  But no one ever posts about products that are working as intended.

My subs are mostly pro audio and not home audio. Go to a Guitar Center and see what they have on clearance. At least a 10” driver and if you can pick it up pass. 

Good subs are big and heavy. 

There are so many quality subs. Pick what is available locally. Quality brand, and active. Good ones are balanced, XLR. 

I have never purchased used, they sometimes take a real beating. But a home audio sub may have seen little use. A home theater sub may have been overdriven daily. 

4 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

IMO the RSW line are the best Klipsch subs for sound quality I had the Ultra 2's and while they are WAY louder and hit lower they weren't as crisp sounding as the RSW's. The RT line are good too but cabinet design seems to limit placement options. I thought the RT-10 performed as well as the RSW-12 when set up right.

23 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

IMO the RSW line are the best Klipsch subs for sound quality I had the Ultra 2's and while they are WAY louder and hit lower they weren't as crisp sounding as the RSW's. The RT line are good too but cabinet design seems to limit placement options. I thought the RT-10 performed as well as the RSW-12 when set up right.

roger on that -------I never had any issues with my  R-115SW

22 minutes ago, glens said:

Congratulations!

Thanks.  Was pretty happy to get all of it at home.  Have done a lot of “outside” listening due to COVID.

I really appreciate the span of advice here. 

I also hope this isn’t one of those boat owner things where this is the second happiest day of ownership—with the first being the day you sell it to someone else. 

31 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

I also hope this isn’t one of those boat owner things where this is the second happiest day of ownership—with the first being the day you sell it to someone else. 

Not very likely, you should have many years of listening pleasure out of them. Sure wish I could have a set of LS :)

1 hour ago, Outrider 6 said:

Thanks.  Was pretty happy to get all of it at home.  Have done a lot of “outside” listening due to COVID.

I really appreciate the span of advice here. 

Speakers are generational. What I mean is they tend to stand the test of time. They evolve much slower. They are all different, and they have their pluses and minuses. I envy your position.

Looking forward the pics.

3 hours ago, RANDYH said:

no i have never owned any non powered klipsch subs.  do you mean the PRO line of subs or normal home audio subs?  do they have a current non powered home audio sub? 

as mentioned, there are many great brands & styles of subs out there, which one depends on your needs & budget. i suggested SVS because they have a very good price to performance factor, the PB2000 is on clearance now for $649, im not aware of too many other new subs for that price that will compare.  on the used market SVS are still a great deal & have a transferable 5 year warranty, sb & pb 2000 sell for about 400-500ea.  & SVS will almost always stand behind them after the warranty, can't say that for most other speaker companies these days, if an amp dies a week after warranty you're SOL.

So let’s start out with the ugly.  This birch La Scala is probably clear lacquered from the feel of the surface, but I like the color. 

It has an unmodified AL crossover and stock drivers. Squawker is a K-55-M

The cabinet has a large scratch on the top, but is otherwise unmarred. Scratch seems to be through the veneer in a few places. It came from Hope with the trimmed in grille cover over the tweeter and squawker. 

E10A1425-4715-41FF-AAD2-4B0200838676.jpeg

79B2F939-40BB-4E06-8C00-21EB69969693.jpeg

3F816085-6DA7-4F8D-8300-1AD6B28C7E12.jpeg

Edited by Outrider 6

Here’s one of the stained LS next to one of the Forté IIs. 

As you can see, it’s the less photogenic model prettied up with an LS grille.  It was raw birch from the factory.

I can’t sort out editing the photos on my phone. Will have to figure that out soon. I don’t like looking at sideways photos, either.

02BAD94C-4733-4384-A8CD-51C6A43AD1CF.jpeg

355350F1-FCD1-419A-A404-4AF5E2DAC404.jpeg

Edited by Outrider 6