Choices: Forté II for $1250 or Quartet for $650

2 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

The walnut veneer (WO) on the Forte II is worth and additional $50-$100 in today's marketplace.

It is quite attractive in person, which made it hard to walk away—especially when the seller accepted a $1000 offer. In DC, notorious for its high cost of living, I suspect the price is about as good as you’ll get from someone who knows what he has.

I’ll have to look up what kind of oil Klipsch used on these. After so long in storage, they could use a fresh coat. 

23 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

So let’s start out with the ugly.  This birch La Scala is probably clear lacquered from the feel of the surface, but I like the color. 

It has an unmodified AL crossover and stock drivers. Squawker is a K-55-M

The cabinet has a large scratch on the top, but is otherwise unmarred. Scratch seems to be through the veneer in a few places. It came from Hope with the trimmed in grille cover over the tweeter and squawker. 

E10A1425-4715-41FF-AAD2-4B0200838676.jpeg

79B2F939-40BB-4E06-8C00-21EB69969693.jpeg

3F816085-6DA7-4F8D-8300-1AD6B28C7E12.jpeg

superb -------not bad -------1 scratch

1 hour ago, Outrider 6 said:

It is quite attractive in person, which made it hard to walk away—especially when the seller accepted a $1000 offer. In DC, notorious for its high cost of living, I suspect the price is about as good as you’ll get from someone who knows what he has.

I’ll have to look up what kind of oil Klipsch used on these. After so long in storage, they could use a fresh coat. 

A little linseed oil will make those pop like the day they were boxed up from the factory.

Regards,

John

57 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

Start with this.

Original oil finish is very basic. 3 parts BLO boiled linseed oil 1 part pure gum turpentine. Use if you only want oil without protection

Later you may decide to do something more. If/then

Other popular products I recommend are:

Howard's Feed N' Wax if you like wax

Watco Danish oil if you want some added protection

General Finishes Arm-R-Seal if you want even more protection

Next thought is capacitors on the LS. Will have to research them. I know it’s a heavily debated topic and there’s lots of information in the forums about the network boards.

The two 1981 LS have AA network boards. 
The 1986 LS has an AL network board.

I also got a modified AA network board with the set. It’s been recapped. I suspect there’s some advantage in matching network boards and speaker components. 

AA68E8EE-45CA-42C6-8687-6748A3E28541.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

Next thought is capacitors on the LS. Will have to research them. I know it’s a heavily debated topic and there’s lots of information in the forums about the network boards.

The two 1981 LS have AA network boards. 
The 1986 LS has an AL network board.

I also got a modified AA network board with the set. It’s been recapped. I suspect there’s some advantage in matching network boards and speaker components. 

AA68E8EE-45CA-42C6-8687-6748A3E28541.jpeg

Looks like some one has been in that xover with Audyn Q4 caps and new litz air coils. Nice

56 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Looks like some one has been in that xover with Audyn Q4 caps and new litz air coils. Nice

Yeah. Your good to go for a while on those. Spool up cash later, but for now just enjoy the music. Pull the crossovers on the Forte II's instead. Your in luck. Check out ALK Engineering for Forte II crossovers. Al Klappenberger design. It's a redesign and a descent upgrade over recaps or Bob Crites. @John Chi-town Want to share what you have going on inside your Forte II's?

5 hours ago, Alexander said:

The AAs on the 1981 LS are original. I’m assuming one way forward is to modify those AAs to this standard and to replace the AL board on the ’86 LS with the modified AA in the photo.