Best Sound Settings For R-51 PM Powered Bluetooth and R-12SWi Subwoofer Speaker(s)

Hello:

Last time I was really into stereo anything was back in the day when 8 track tapes were the thing to have, and the best records to buy were pressed onto Virgin Vinyl... so it's been quite a while since I've delved into this sort of thing (I was never into 8 tracks and only bought cassettes (which were imho) far superior (in that they were a mini reel-to-reel tape system in an odd sort of way). 

In any event, I purchased the R-51PM Powered Bluetooth Speakers back in March, and just received the R-12SWi Sub-woofer earlier this week. I was hoping that someone could tell me the optimum settings for the R-12SWi; gain and lowpass (Hz), so that it will work well with my R-51PM's (I've connected both units with KabelDirekt RCA Stereo Cables).

Additionally, there is a toggle switch for "Phase" Control (0' or 180') and I have no idea which setting to use. Could anyone tell me what "Phase" Control does, and how I should have it set?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to my post.

Addendum: 

It would appear that I was able to purchase the last NEW R-12SWi on Amazon (the other one listed was in "used but like new condition") and although eBay lists a few new ones (last I checked) most ALL of the R-12SW/R-12SWi's being sold are also in used condition. Additionally, it doesn't appear that Klipsch is listing the R-12SW/R12SWi on their website. I was curious and wanted to know if Klipsch has discontinued production for those particular Sub-woofers.

Edited by Jazzbutcher
Text Size

Set your sub's gain to the line to the left of the 12 o'clock setting.  This is generally recommended for most powered subs.

Set phase to 0.  This is generally recommended when using a single sub.  Sometimes when using multiple subs setting one to 0 and one to 180 helps prevent cancellation of bass frequencies.

Set your crossover to the highest it will go (LFE).  This will allow the built-in crossover in the R-51PMs to better blend the crossover point of bass between them and your sub.

• 5 months later...

What about enabling or disabling the dynamic bass EQ on the R51 PM speakers? I would assume this should be disabled and let the subwoofer handle all of that, no? I wouldn't want to blow out the 51's when it seems like the sub could have handled that low load. 

Also, should I just hit the sub reset button on the remote and not mess with the sub+ or sub- buttons for the 51's? Should I instead just increase or decrease gain on the subwoofer as I see fit? Right now I'm running the gain at the 12:00 position. 

Thanks for any advice!

2 hours ago, Jones said:

One more question (for now:)): do these speakers sound noticeably better when hardwired into my laptop USB (thought that would be better than auxiliary) than they do running off a Bluetooth connection? 

Only you can be the judge of that.