Spl-120 vs SVS Pb2000 pro?

Performance Driven

Hello everyone. New to home theater and this forum. Im setting up a 5.2.4 theater in my living room. Currently have Yamaha aventage 3080, Klipsch RP-6000F, RP-500C, RP-500M, RP-500SA and one SPL-100. I will say I'm a little OCD and wanted the matching sub, but I am a little unimpressed with the spl-100.. My plan was to use 2 of them, but started reading some not so good things about the Klipsch subs on other forums. I noticed they don't go down very low in hz. Would you all think 2 spl-120s would a great setup vs 2 spl-100 or is it worth spending $800 more for dual SVS pb2000 pros? My floor plan is semi open. Open on one side and half the back is half open to a halfway and other parts of the house.

20200513_235955.jpg

Edited by Performance Driven
Spelling error

Welcome to the forum.  It's certainly not necessary to match subwoofer brands with your mains.  As far as HT is concerned, the 2 most important channels are your center and LFE.  You should always get the best that you can afford in those two areas to optimize the HT experience.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Welcome to the forum.  It's certainly not necessary to match subwoofer brands with your mains.  As far as HT is concerned, the 2 most important channels are your center and LFE.  You should always get the best that you can afford in those two areas to optimize the HT experience.

That's what I've been hearing. Do you think the 500c center is good? I had the r34c and thought it was terrible and returned it and all my reference speakers and got all premiere series speakers. Way better in my opinion. 

As far as the subwoofers go, the sale ends today on the Klipsch through crutchfield website and the spl-120 is $517 right now. The SVS are $900. I want 2 of each, just cant decide if the price jump is worth it. The klipsch will match aesthetically, and slightly smaller than SVS so it will fit better where I have to put them. However, I know people love SVS, and I can make it work in the same location, it will just stick out 3 more inches. I have seen bad reviews on older Klipsch subwoofer amps, but not much on the SPL line. Are the amps better, same, weak? I know my SPL-100 will set my window alarm off when watching Dolby test videos, or have volume cranked with techno music, but regular movies and music, the bass is lacking. I'm not certain 2 12 inch klipsch and 100 watts more, and 3hz lower will make a huge difference. Sorry for all the rambling, I'm new to most of this stuff and have no way to hear things in person with COVID restrictions. 

I absolutely LOVE Klipsch speakers and currently have around 18???? or so.  Most of which bought new and that doesn't count the ones I've bought then sold.  I wouldn't have one of their subs or any of their amplified speakers for that matter.

5 minutes ago, Performance Driven said:

That's what I think also, but is it $800 better?

no , plus if you watch the garage sale ,  you might find what you need and at great low , if not bargain prices --and in great condition -----just be patient for the product that would sell on this forum   , to be in your area ----welcome to this forum ----

58 minutes ago, Performance Driven said:

That's what I think also, but is it $800 better?

Oh my gosh yes.  Let's see, the Klipsch is rated to 24Hz.  They don't give the +-3dB spec which means it's really maybe flat to 27-28Hz or so (I'm guessing).  The SVS has an actual + - 3dh spec of 16Hz. so you're probably getting an extra half octave more output. The SVS has a PEQ and can actually be controlled by a phone ap if desired.  The Klipsch has standard phase and gain adjustment.  5 year full warranty on the SVS and only a 2 year warranty on the Klipsch amp which have been known to be suspect.  You're also comparing a sale price to a normal retail price.  I think that SVS has a 30 day no questions asked return policy but don't quote me on that.  These are 2 different classes of sub.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Oh my gosh yes.  Let's see, the Klipsch is rated to 24Hz.  They don't give the +-3dB spec which means it's really maybe flat to 27-28Hz or so (I'm guessing).  The SVS has an actual + - 3dh spec of 16Hz. so you're probably getting an extra half octave more output. The SVS has a PEQ and can actually be controlled by a phone ap if desired.  The Klipsch has standard phase and gain adjustment.  5 year full warranty on the SVS and only a 2 year warranty on the Klipsch amp which have been known to be suspect.  You're also comparing a sale price to a normal retail price.  I think that SVS has a 30 day no questions asked return policy but don't quote me on that.  These are 2 different classes of sub.

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry if my questions are dumb. I'm new to this and I don't know anyone personally with a home theater setup. And I can't test anything at local shops cause they are all closed still due to COVID.  I am coming from a 15 year old Paradigm 5.1 in a box set up with satellites and 8 inch woofer. The 8inch woofer is almost as good as the klipsch spl-100 I have. 

1 hour ago, RANDYH said:

no , plus if you watch the garage sale ,  you might find what you need and at great low , if not bargain prices --and in great condition -----just be patient for the product that would sell on this forum   , to be in your area ----welcome to this forum ----

That's a good point on used, but I'm questionable about buying used stuff. Plus I have a limited amount of time to return my spl-100 I have.

2 minutes ago, Performance Driven said:

The 8inch woofer is almost as good as the klipsch spl-100 I have. 

That should tell you something right there.

Asking questions is the way most people learn.  Nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, Performance Driven said:

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry if my questions are dumb. I'm new to this

No reason to say sorry.  Your questions are like mine that I asked 13 years ago this month.  If all of a sudden I started to get into tube amps and turntables, I would be the one asking "dumb" questions.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Bill

3 minutes ago, Performance Driven said:

but I'm questionable about buying used stuff.

If it was not for the used market, I would not be sitting on close to $20,000.00 "worth" of gear and speakers right now.  Of the close to maybe 200 used audio/video items I have purchased or traded for over the years, maybe a half a dozen have failed in some way in the 13 years.

@Performance Driven,

Where is your location?

Bill

14 minutes ago, willland said:

If it was not for the used market, I would not be sitting on close to $20,000.00 "worth" of gear and speakers right now.

Okay, maybe a bit less in value because I did buy a couple or few new pieces in over the years.  My RC-64, RW-10d, Yamaha A-S1000, Onkyo 705, a few TVs were all purchased new as well as my RSW-10d which suffered amp failure last summer after close to 11 years.

Bill

23 minutes ago, willland said:

If it was not for the used market, I would not be sitting on close to $20,000.00 "worth" of gear and speakers right now.  Of the close to maybe 200 used audio/video items I have purchased or traded for over the years, maybe a half a dozen have failed in some way in the 13 years.

@Performance Driven,

Where is your location?

Bill

Northern Kentucky.