KG 5.2 vs KM-6?

JetRun15

Greetings all! I hope you are all doing well and staying safe despite the current situation we are all facing! I decided to make a new post about comparing the KG 5.2s vs. the KM-6s (hopefully this doesn't violate the rules of posting) as my earlier post was about the Tangent 500s vs the KG 5.2s (and figured this new post might give me more feedback between these new speakers, rather than continuing on the older post). 

Basically same situation as before, but for those that are new I'll make it short. Sold off my old Bose 201s and looking for some retro late 80s (or early 90s) speakers for my HT/HiFI setup. Came across the KG series and fell in love with the look and aesthetic (although I understand they don't compare to other speakers like the Chorus, Hersey, Cornwall, etc.) Because of my limited budget of being a university student and my admiration for the look of the KGs (as well as the KMs, Tangents, etc.) I'd prefer if the recommendations were just between the two speakers listed in the title. The amp that'll be used is the Onkyo TX-NR809 (yeah not that impressive I know) and although it's mainly for HT use, I plan to use it for HiFi music listening as well.

Onto the main question though, I came across two individuals on Cragslist selling a KG-6 (I assume this is a typo and is referring to the KM-6 instead) for $280 and another individual selling a KG 5.2 for $350 and am deciding which one is better? I've heard the KM-6 is basically a "cheapo" military version that's either similar (or identical) to the KG 5.5s which my end game is to get KG 5.5s, but I would rather settle for the KG 5.2s if they're considered better. Because of the whole "cheapo" notion I heard, something about the KMs are cheaper than the consumer versions (so worse than the KGs?) I should add I do plan to add a sub sometime in the future to my setup (most likely once I graduate) to my setup, and heard the KM-6 (KG 5.5s) can quite get bassy (assuming because of the base port) and because of this I am leaning towards the KG 5.2s, but it seems like the KG 5.5 is the end game for that particular series. 

Last but not least, I should add the KM-6 has damage to the center cap, which is all an addition to the concern on top of the whole "cheapo speakers for the military thing" while the KG 5.2 appears to be in great shape just for a slightly higher asking price. (I have attached photos if that'll be any help.) 

Hopefully this post wasn't too long to be boring to read, but nonetheless I hope to get some feedback between these two speakers, and as always I appreciate everybody's time. Stay safe! 

00G0G_4YYJNGk3VIN_1200x900.jpg

01717_aIV0fwkq4VM_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

If you listen at loud volumes and like lots of bass the KM-6 is the obvious choice with dual active 10's don't worry about the dust caps cosmetic only and a good vacuum cleaner will likely pull them out.

I personally like the 5.2's better, they seem more balanced and natural but they will not shake the walls like the KM-6's will.

Asking prices are just that, don't be afraid to throw out an offer maybe a little lower than what you'd actually pay to leave a little room for haggling. I would probably start at $200 for the KM-6's and $250 for the 5.2's.

• Thanks 1

The KM6 are not "cheap" they are identical to the kg 5.5 just sold at military bases instead of consumer audio stores.  The center caps look to be pushed in pretty far & creased, a vac will most likely not pull them out as they are hard plastic not softer material or fibre that a vac might work on.  i would live with them as is or look for used replacement woofers. 

the 5.2 are only a single woofer with a 2nd passive radiator, they are good speakers as all KG series are but will not compete with the kg5.5 or km6 dual woofers in the bass or upper bass freq.  for the prices listed & in general for kg5.5 they are hard to beat, the kg5.5 is probably the best value to performance used klipsch speaker out there today. i'd go for the KM6 or keep looking for a set in better cosmetic shape but cant go wrong with either model for that price!  

• Like 3

Seems like the KM-6s might be the winner here! I still plan to contact the KG 5.2 guy just to see if I could get a cheaper price from him as the KM-6 guy is willing to go down to $240 that's it. He sent me a higher resolution photo of the speakers, and I have noticed the center caps have holes in them as well, and was wondering if this is the final straw not to go for them? I have attached the higher res photo below. Would love feedback on this @EpicKlipschFan. Thank you all! 

IMG_6317.jpg

2 hours ago, JetRun15 said:

Seems like the KM-6s might be the winner here! the KM-6 guy is willing to go down to $240 that's it. I have noticed the center caps have holes in them as well, and was wondering if this is the final straw not to go for them?

$240 is a great deal assuming the speakers work and they have the grill covers. Looks like a few small holes in the top dust cap likely from someone trying to pull the dent out, worst case scenario you could always replace the dust cap yourself or keep an eye out on eBay for a replacement driver(s) if they bother you. With the grill covers on you wouldn't know which speaker had the dents by listening to them.

I figured as so, @billybob and @jjptkd. I am thinking of pulling the trigger for it, below are all the photos I got from the seller. It does come with the grill covers although still concerned about the condition of them as well as they seem to be damaged at least in a minor fashion. He claimed it got dented because of young kids, I mean, is what it is I guess. I am thinking of getting them though, it just seems to be calling out to me, and not to mention significantly cheaper than the KG 5.2s. I am hoping he will let me bring my own amp to test out these speakers as he says he doesn't have a system setup for testing. 

20200515_053124008_iOS.jpg

20200515_053129183_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

I'd go for 'em if they work.  Bring an amp, a source, and some wire to check them out.  The center caps might perform a little function up near the top of the driver range; I'd shuffle them so each cabinet has a good (form) center in the upper position.

If the woofers are vented (a screen in the middle of the magnet) you can take a length of solid copper wire as big around as you can fit through the screen (and you can wedge an opening larger if necessary), round over the end of the wire nicely, and carefully re-form the covers from behind.  They won't lose all appearance of having been deformed but you can restore the general shape to a very large degree.

The holes in the one will be okay since it's not a sealed cabinet.  Even so you may be able to fill them with small drops of model paint or nail polish without appreciably affecting the moving mass.

• Like 1

I've seen such shenanigans as what damaged those drivers get totally thwarted by leaving the grilles in place.  Bare-faced speakers shout "Poke my domes!" even when silent.  The mere chance of the presence of kids or dogs, even (don't dogs seem to just love round things that move?), requires the speakers be fully clothed IMO.

As mentioned above the $240 price makes the KMs a no brainier provided they are in working order.

The dents/holes in the dust covers have .001% impact on the actual performance of the driver.  If it would make you feel better just take a small dab of silicon to put over the holes. Here is a link to a place you could buy some new ones if the urge moves you that much.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/search.html?k=dust+cap

Curious how are your soldering skills or have someone that can? The capacitors in the crossovers should be updated being they are well over 20 years old. Cost could be as little as <$20 easy and is something that could be done at your leisure. BTW, “recap'ing” xovers has nothing to do with this perticular speaker and has everything to do with age only.

Good point about the crossovers.

Reviewing the photos (on my "phone") a case could be made for the grilles being in better shape (less "exposure") than the cabinets.  And I see a possibility that one cabinet maybe "done a faceplant" into something.  Look over the entire woofer cones / surrounds real good.  Even if there's yet-unseen damage to the drivers I'd still take 'em.  It would just drive the price down a little further, but not so much that "I" would lose the opportunity.

7 hours ago, JetRun15 said:

I figured as so, @billybob and @jjptkd. I am thinking of pulling the trigger for it, below are all the photos I got from the seller. It does come with the grill covers although still concerned about the condition of them as well as they seem to be damaged at least in a minor fashion. He claimed it got dented because of young kids, I mean, is what it is I guess. I am thinking of getting them though, it just seems to be calling out to me, and not to mention significantly cheaper than the KG 5.2s. I am hoping he will let me bring my own amp to test out these speakers as he says he doesn't have a system setup for testing. 

20200515_053124008_iOS.jpg

20200515_053129183_iOS.jpg

Yes, absolutely!

if there isnt any other damage to the cabinets or speakers (i dont see any signs of a "face plant") they are easily worth $240 for the sound they will produce.  you could find a replacement used woofer(s) for ~$100 & still have a very good deal at $350'ish.  the link for dust caps doesnt have the correct plastic caps the KG/KM's use, just paper or aluminum caps.  if you cant repair or improve the caps just put a dab of silicone on the holes & leave them as is until you can find replacements, pushed in dust caps do not have any affect on the sound. 

bring a receiver to test them, while playing at medium volume put your ear a couple inches from the tweeter horn & be sure they are working, then try to play some bass heavy music at a volume that gets the woofers moving a bit, listen for any pops or crackle noises to be sure they work & also listen/feel around the back & sides of the cabinets for vibrations or rattles, its not too common but the KG/KM & KLF speakers can have bad glue that makes the boxes vibrate at higher volumes... not a deal breaker though since its cheap & easy to fix.  

good luck!    

• Like 1

So, good news people! I have decided to make up my mind and go for the KG 5.5s, this is because the seller is willing to knock off the price a bit due to my 3 hour commute and is willing to let me bring one of my own personal amps to test out the speakers! Nothing crazy just a spare Yamaha RX-V373 I use for driving my headphones mainly. Hopefully if all goes well, I'll end up with some slightly damaged KM-6s! (Well I'd like to call them KG 5.5s, because of the unique name of the "KG" line up.)

Below are my responses to some of the members: 

So basically doing what you recommended @glens although I was also told the caps are hard plastic so seems the duct tape method is it. Honestly, you'd think speakers would be bomb proof because of all the delicacy haha. 

@Alexander I plan to try out that silicon technique you recommended to improve the look but we'll see, I am a decent solder (guess some of those university classes paid off haha) and might consider recapping as that's one of the few things I can do to breathe new life into this new speaker (besides possibly getting a new woofer possibly, and if I can afford, getting those Crites horns people talk about a lot). 

@billybob Seems it's a go for me! 

@EpicKlipschFan I plan to attempt to do the duct-tape method at least to repair the caps, but in the end I might also just leave it as I rather not have any "accidents" to my speakers with the covers off. Nonetheless I plan to pull the trigger on them, and as mentioned earlier, will bring a receiver to test them. I'll follow your recommendation, and I am hoping at least despite the minor damage that I dn't get any vibrations that's my main concern. 

In summary, I think I might have finally came across my dream speakers of getting the KG 5.5s! Of course I say think, because until it's in my living room blasting whatever I blast, it isn't REALLY mine. Nonetheless I appreciate the help from everyone. Don't think I have gotten something this good since getting an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 for $40. 

Edited by JetRun15
  • Like 1

@billybob The KM-6s and the KG 5.2s are both about three hours away from where I live, located in Southern California. The KG 5.2 owner has never gotten back to me, but even if he did I would have just gone for the KM-6 as that's what I have always favored, and I couldn't afford anyways. It's the KM-6 guy who is willing to knock some off for my long trip. I appreciate the help nonetheless. 

1 minute ago, JetRun15 said:

@billybob The KM-6s and the KG 5.2s are both about three hours away from where I live, located in Southern California. The KG 5.2 owner has never gotten back to me, but even if he did I would have just gone for the KM-6 as that's what I have always favored, and I couldn't afford anyways. It's the KM-6 guy who is willing to knock some off for my long trip. I appreciate the help nonetheless. 

Think I got it now.Is that 300 miles round-trip or one way?