KG 5.2 vs KM-6?

JetRun15

So wanted to give everyone an update about the speakers....I got them! Quite an interesting and funny story though. Overall all the drive wasn't too bad (minimal LA traffic, which is a surprise given the weekend [but I would understand why given the pandemic]). However, as I met the guy and he was wheeling out the speakers in a dolly, one of the backs came off on the speaker and yanked out the wires as the foam came out. Had to give myself a good laugh, because of that though, he ended up just selling them to me for around $100 instead, also the price was also given because one of the horn tweeters isn't working (not sure if prior to the back or after). Checked if it was a wiring issue and it was not as I confirmed by switching the horn tweeters so debating if I should attempt to get the tweeter working or just go out with the Crites route. Also going to have my dad help me out with gluing the back together and possibly painting the speaker to get it back in decent cosmetic shape. Additionally I am debating if I should purchase one of Crites crossover repair kits and attempt a repair myself, I mean the speakers sound fine to me (and I spent a lot of money already haha) but, I feel it could breathe new life into it, still debating. Anyways hope I am making sense here as type this still being all excited and whatnot. Definitely going to be a project for me, but can't wait to play a mix of 80s Pop and Jazz Fashion, with a taste of some modern Electronic Dance Music in the end!

Below is a link of the photos I have taken because apparently the iPhone SE takes huge resolution photos. 

https://imgur.com/a/hOEPHXT

Additionally, going to tag @billybob as a response to his curiosity. 

• Like 1

Lol, don't know what to say to all this but, yes strange brew with craigslist.

Would want to find out about that tweeter and if it is working, before I spend anymore on these. Others here will tell you about how to check that and the connection s to the crossover. You may need a new diaphragm. One thing at a time and guess you will be learning about possible glue issues with cabinet. Glad you are not turned off about it.

Listen to the other one meanwhile and see what you think. Thanks

@billybob Indeed interesting shenanigans from Craigslist (just realized I was spelling it wrong this entire time haha). Nonetheless, I plan on probably making another post how to go from here with fixing the horn tweeters and going from there. Although just saw how cheap the Crites Horns are and they are sorta taking my interest, we'll see though. Nonetheless, the other speaker worked fine (the non-dented one unsurprisingly) and that's what prevented me from walking away with it. I gave the other speaker a quick listen with Panama - Van Halen and Footlose - Kenny Loggins and surprised about the bass response from the working KG 5.5. I know many have criticized it as extremely bass heavy with little mids, but I feel the woofers and the tweeter horn does a great job balancing yet working together with the highs and lows to produce decent mids. Of course as much as I know, it's possible I am choosing the wrong song to listen to the full potential of these speakers (I mean I love most genres but the 80s and modern House is where it's at for me in terms of musical preference). Overall, like I said I love the speakers and glad I made the purchase. Can't wait to work on them when classes are over (got them hard finals on Monday) and finally sit down and listen to them after its all repaired! 

• Like 1

Thanks @billybob for the help! Will try to update as I do repairs on them (might honestly make another post since it's sorta deviating away from this post haha), but honestly knowing myself, I might just get them repaired before I have time to document them, nonetheless I plan to post a final image product when I am done with all the repairs! 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Probably a little late but I wouldn't ever call the km6 cheapo. They rock. Yeah a bit bass heavy but dual woofers will do that. And if you want to feel you're music and shake the house as I love you to do it is definitely not cheapo to me. Having everything from b2s, defintivies, polks, domus, infinity, kenwood, energy....aside from the definitives and energy nothing is closespacer.png just can't beat feeling you're music. And even at low volumes they handle well and nothing an EQ can't take care of and preset it for the music of the day and the presentation signature you desire. The 6s are a great canvas for that