Refusal to talk

Dave A

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact conversation is becoming a lost art.  No one talks about their day at the dinner table.  Families don't eat together and if they actually do their faces are glued to their phone.  They can't hold up their end of the conversation because there's no way to insert emojis or gifs while you talk.  They don't converse because they can't converse as they don't practice anymore. 

• Like 1

Just now, CECAA850 said:

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact conversation is becoming a lost art.  No one talks about their day at the dinner table.  Families don't eat together and if they actually do their faces are glued to their phone.  They can't hold up their end of the conversation because there's no way to insert emojis or gifs while you talk.  They don't converse because they can't converse as they don't practice anymore. 

whoa guy, easy with the broad sweeping generalizations.

The current conditions are only accelerating these patterns. Less talk, more connect. My typing skills aren't good and my thumbs and fingers dont  work well even

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I used to be traumatized by the phone, which I trace back to when I was ~12 and wanted a mynah bird. I opened the Cincinnati Yellow Pages to "Pet Shops," and started calling.  One the the first, if not the first, calls was a wrong number call to a bar.  The bartender yelled out to the patrons, "Some kid wants to know if we sell mynah birds."  I could hear the laughter.  Phones scared me ever since.  Calling girls for dates was especially terrifying.

Later, in professional life, using the phone was unavoidable.  I learned to immediately identify myself and then identify the person for whom the call was intended.

OBTW

I never got a mynah bird.

I had a friend and his mother answered the phone as   "Yes."   I always thought that was kind of gruff even for the 70's

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

ph.jpg.272c34807499a819f8392dcc425c3f1d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes.  They then wonder why someone took offense to what they wrote which can easily be misinterpreted with the written word.  All 3 of my kids would rather text than call with the exception of my older daughter who loves to face time my wife.  She texts everyone else.

My son is the oldest of the 3 kids. He only calls me when he's driving home from work. Otherwise when he's at home he never calls or texts.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Drewg said:

They have acronyms for everything!

Almost, they missed the one that means, put down the phone and become a real person, it might be pdtpabarp, I don't know ?

am-having-people-over-lo-stare-at-their-phones-later-2033389.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Drewg said:

I had to ask my daughters what ILYSM meant. In case it’s not obvious, lol, it means “I love you so much”. They have acronyms for everything!

i can see it now ... a very romantic situation, two people staring into each other’s eyes and the first says, “ILYSM” and the other says, “ILYSM2."

• Like 1

As if people taking the wrong meaning from something typed out isn't bad enough, imaging mistaken acronyms.  

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i can see it now ... a very romantic situation, two people staring into each other’s eyes and the first says, “ILYSM” and the other says, “ILYSM2."

And the first says: WTF

Second responds with: WTF?

First: Well that's fantastic.

3 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

As if people taking the wrong meaning from something typed out isn't bad enough, imaging mistaken acronyms.  

And the first says: WTF

Second responds with: WTF?

First: Well that's terrific.

did you type "terrific" but really intending to say "fantastic"?

• Haha 1