Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dave A

Refusal to talk

Recommended Posts

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact conversation is becoming a lost art.  No one talks about their day at the dinner table.  Families don't eat together and if they actually do their faces are glued to their phone.  They can't hold up their end of the conversation because there's no way to insert emojis or gifs while you talk.  They don't converse because they can't converse as they don't practice anymore. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CECAA850 said:

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact conversation is becoming a lost art.  No one talks about their day at the dinner table.  Families don't eat together and if they actually do their faces are glued to their phone.  They can't hold up their end of the conversation because there's no way to insert emojis or gifs while you talk.  They don't converse because they can't converse as they don't practice anymore. 

 

whoa guy, easy with the broad sweeping generalizations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

 

whoa guy, easy with the broad sweeping generalizations.

Insert "a majority" or "most" where you see fit.

 

Don't make me call you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current conditions are only accelerating these patterns. Less talk, more connect. My typing skills aren't good and my thumbs and fingers dont  work well even

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I used to be traumatized by the phone, which I trace back to when I was ~12 and wanted a mynah bird. I opened the Cincinnati Yellow Pages to "Pet Shops," and started calling.  One the the first, if not the first, calls was a wrong number call to a bar.  The bartender yelled out to the patrons, "Some kid wants to know if we sell mynah birds."  I could hear the laughter.  Phones scared me ever since.  Calling girls for dates was especially terrifying.

 

Later, in professional life, using the phone was unavoidable.  I learned to immediately identify myself and then identify the person for whom the call was intended.

 

OBTW

I never got a mynah bird.

I had a friend and his mother answered the phone as   "Yes."   I always thought that was kind of gruff even for the 70's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact conversation is becoming a lost art.  No one talks about their day at the dinner table.  Families don't eat together and if they actually do their faces are glued to their phone.  They can't hold up their end of the conversation because there's no way to insert emojis or gifs while you talk.  They don't converse because they can't converse as they don't practice anymore. 

ph.jpg.272c34807499a819f8392dcc425c3f1d.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dtel's wife

:lol: Thanks but I am aware of that, I did it once correctly and google still got a word wrong that I had to back up and do over!

Just like here being satirical, facetious, joyous, mad it is hard to tell what your are accenting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes.  They then wonder why someone took offense to what they wrote which can easily be misinterpreted with the written word.  All 3 of my kids would rather text than call with the exception of my older daughter who loves to face time my wife.  She texts everyone else.

My son is the oldest of the 3 kids. He only calls me when he's driving home from work. Otherwise when he's at home he never calls or texts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They (kids) speak in letters and abbreviations and cannot comprehend long and complex thought patterns. There is no keyboard on your face either to complicate things.

JJK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

They (kids) speak in letters and abbreviations and cannot comprehend long and complex thought patterns. There is no keyboard on your face either to complicate things.

JJK

 

Lolololololol Omg ikr??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Lolololololol Omg ikr??

I had to ask my daughters what ILYSM meant. In case it’s not obvious, lol, it means “I love you so much”. They have acronyms for everything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Drewg said:

They have acronyms for everything!

Almost, they missed the one that means, put down the phone and become a real person, it might be pdtpabarp, I don't know ?

am-having-people-over-lo-stare-at-their-phones-later-2033389.png

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dtel said:

Almost, they missed the one that means, put down the phone and become a real person, it might be pdtpabarp, I don't know ?

am-having-people-over-lo-stare-at-their-phones-later-2033389.png

  ------ADD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drewg said:

I had to ask my daughters what ILYSM meant. In case it’s not obvious, lol, it means “I love you so much”. They have acronyms for everything!

i can see it now ... a very romantic situation, two people staring into each other’s eyes and the first says, “ILYSM” and the other says, “ILYSM2."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As if people taking the wrong meaning from something typed out isn't bad enough, imaging mistaken acronyms.  

 

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i can see it now ... a very romantic situation, two people staring into each other’s eyes and the first says, “ILYSM” and the other says, “ILYSM2."

And the first says: WTF

Second responds with: WTF?

First: Well that's fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

As if people taking the wrong meaning from something typed out isn't bad enough, imaging mistaken acronyms.  

 

And the first says: WTF

Second responds with: WTF?

First: Well that's terrific.

did you type "terrific" but really intending to say "fantastic"?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember way back about 1967 ago we were bouncing abbreviations around but we were using our mouths. It started with three letter rock bands.

JJK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, moray james said:

did you type "terrific" but really intending to say "fantastic"?

Another reason people should just call 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...