Klipsch RF-83 8" replacement driver

wildlaurel

After exhausting all resources on the internet, it seems like the 8" drivers for RF-83 are impossible to source. My entire system is based on the reference IV and RF-83's are anchors for the system with RT-12D, RC-64, RS-62, RB-61's..

Is there anyone on the forum here who could help me source these.. i am pretty desperate..

Klipsch RF-83, 8" Woofer, Model: K-1206-N, Klipsch Part #: 1000266

Thanks!

Edited by wildlaurel

1 hour ago, wildlaurel said:

After exhausting all resources on the internet, it seems like the 8" drivers for RF-83 are impossible to source.

You are not kidding.  I searched and searched and searched.  Maybe see if you could retro an RF-82 or RF-35 woofer?

Bill

- RF-82 IV 8" driver is obsolete (+ it was a different driver construction & 8 ohm)

- RF-82 II is a different driver construction & is is 8 ohm

- RF-83's are unique, they have  3 x 8" (16 ohm) drivers paralleled to equivalent 4 ohm

worst case: use RF-82 II, 8 ohm driver with 4 ohm series resistors. not only would it look odd as it is conical diaphragm, it will also have a different sound signature due to different frequency response and sensitivity.

guys, any pointers?

Edited by wildlaurel

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:46 PM, wildlaurel said:

After exhausting all resources on the internet, it seems like the 8" drivers for RF-83 are impossible to source.

Is there anyone on the forum here who could help me source these.. i am pretty desperate..

Are you trying to replace a woofer with a damaged cone or voice-coil or both? A good speaker repair guy might be able to fix your woofer depending on the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted The Speaker Exchange. They informed me that these are obsolete drivers and no amount of minimum order to the OEM could get them to make a batch!

the cone is good. i am not sure if these concave dust caps can be taken out without damage to the cone or the dust cap it self. Also, does recoiling change the tonal quality of the drivers?

3 minutes ago, wildlaurel said:

I contacted The Speaker Exchange. They informed me that these are obsolete drivers and no amount of minimum order to the OEM could get them to make a batch!

the cone is good. i am not sure if these concave dust caps can be taken out without damage to the cone or the dust cap it self. Also, does recoiling change the tonal quality of the drivers?

---,you have to remove the voice coil -measure the burnt voice coil from  top to bottom and measure the windings length , then  replace it with a new voice coil  --looks easy on regular woofers but these concave dust caps , I've never seen a rebuild done , as far as tonal quality , I would think that an identical voice coil of the same width , length as far as windings should result in the same ----you're only replacing the voice coil , and not the cone which  is the sound changer -

21 minutes ago, wildlaurel said:

i dont understand why Klipsch wont provide support for these not-so-long-ago reference flagships.. just disappointing..

I do agree that it is disappointing, but the 83s have been out of production for close to a decade.  Surprisingly The Speaker Exchange still has 6.5 woofers for my RF-63s but not my RC-64 but they could be one in the same.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-1000265-rf-63-woofer-k-1205-nb/

Bill

45 minutes ago, willland said:

I do agree that it is disappointing, but the 83s have been out of production for close to a decade.  Surprisingly The Speaker Exchange still has 6.5 woofers for my RF-63s but not my RC-64 but they could be one in the same.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-1000265-rf-63-woofer-k-1205-nb/

Bill

well, spares for the predecessors RF-7's and even older reference series are available.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple RF-83 drivers laying around. I also have a couple drivers for the RF-82’s and the RC-64. 

I also have the crossover’s and a few other components for the RF-83’s and RC-64 and the RC-64 ll’s. 

In short- I toasted a couple drivers in my RF-83’s and was forced to buy a used pair a few months ago to replace the two blown ones I had. That left me with spare parts needless to say. I did the same thing about 5 years ago with some RC-64’s I was using as voice speakers in a home live music scenario. The two RF-82 drivers I have are a result of me hoping I could use those to replace my toasted RF-83’s. I instantly could see they weren’t the same driver and never installed them. Not only is the impedance incorrect but the mass of the magnet and voice coil clearly separate the two visually if you put them side by side. 

Best~
Brian 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 8:02 AM, Brian314 said:

I have a couple RF-83 drivers laying around. I also have a couple drivers for the RF-82’s and the RC-64. 

I also have the crossover’s and a few other components for the RF-83’s and RC-64 and the RC-64 ll’s. 

In short- I toasted a couple drivers in my RF-83’s and was forced to buy a used pair a few months ago to replace the two blown ones I had. That left me with spare parts needless to say. I did the same thing about 5 years ago with some RC-64’s I was using as voice speakers in a home live music scenario. The two RF-82 drivers I have are a result of me hoping I could use those to replace my toasted RF-83’s. I instantly could see they weren’t the same driver and never installed them. Not only is the impedance incorrect but the mass of the magnet and voice coil clearly separate the two visually if you put them side by side. 

Best~
Brian 

Hello Brian, hope all is well.  You still have those RF-83 drivers laying around.  I am interested.

Thank you

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 5:02 AM, Brian314 said:

Best~
Brian 

Brian, I am in need of an RF 83 driver. If one is still available could you please contact me at 951-719-4128 for email me at ajdeez40@gmail.com

My dig chewed up one of my drivers and ran into this site by accident.

Thanks in advance.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:02 AM, Brian314 said:

Best~
Brian 

Hi Brian, tried to PM but for some reason I can not. Any chance you still have those RF-83 Drivers. :)

• Moderators
On 5/8/2021 at 11:13 AM, Ajdeez said:

Brian, I am in need of an RF 83 driver. If one is still available could you please contact me at 951-719-4128 for email me at ajdeez40@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum.

Time to find a dig who doesn't dog, well you know what I mean.

If gone, you can post a WTB in garage sale. Beware of scammers with zero or low posts. You can PM after 5 posts.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, Ajdeez said:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ajdeez, if your unable to find one replacement driver and decided to sell the two other good ones I would be interested depending on price and condition. Based off your area code you seem to be in the Riverside area. Im in the Inland Empire so close to you. Let me know. Thanks