Klipsch RF-83 8" replacement driver

wildlaurel

Has anyone found a solution to replacing the RF-83 woofers yet? 2 of the 3 woofers in one of my speakers have acquired some small dimples over the past few years but still function perfectly, however, I would like to replace them…the 3 16 ohm woofers in parallel=5.33 ohms. 3 8 ohm woofers wired 2 in series to get 16 ohms then in parallel with the other 8 ohm woofer will also equal 5.33 ohms if I’m calculating correctly, so I see no reason why these 8” 8 ohm replacement woofers wouldn’t work…

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-1011974-rf-82-mkii-woofer/

53 minutes ago, Matty204 said:

Has anyone found a solution to replacing the RF-83 woofers yet? 2 of the 3 woofers in one of my speakers have acquired some small dimples over the past few years but still function perfectly, however, I would like to replace them…the 3 16 ohm woofers in parallel=5.33 ohms. 3 8 ohm woofers wired 2 in series to get 16 ohms then in parallel with the other 8 ohm woofer will also equal 5.33 ohms if I’m calculating correctly, so I see no reason why these 8” 8 ohm replacement woofers wouldn’t work…

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-1011974-rf-82-mkii-woofer/

make sure the Holes line up  , remove one of the RF-83 Woofer and compare the frame as well as the markings at the back of the woofer 's magnet

klipsch_1011974-1.jpg

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

make sure the Holes line up  , remove one of the RF-83 Woofer and compare the frame as well as the markings at the back of the woofer 's magnet

klipsch_1011974-1.jpg

What do you mean compare the markings on the magnet? I won’t be getting the direct replacement woofers as they’re discontinued and not available  so any woofers I do get wouldn’t have the same markings on the back. The fitment is identical to the RF-82 8” woofers. 

1 hour ago, Matty204 said:

What do you mean compare the markings on the magnet? I won’t be getting the direct replacement woofers as they’re discontinued and not available

you're stating that    1)  the Fitment is the same on the RF-83 and RF-82 woofers   , and  2)-  the  DCR is the same.

if that's the case , klipsch made a mistake by stating that the RF 83 woofers are no longer available , since the  replacement RF -82 woofer shows identical specs .

- take out 1 of your RF-83 woofers and  compare it to these pictures for any difference .

klipsch_1011974-1.jpg

klipsch_1011974-2.jpg

52 minutes ago, RandyH said:

you're stating that    1)  the Fitment is the same on the RF-83 and RF-82 woofers   , and  2)-  the  DCR is the same.

if that's the case , klipsch made a mistake by stating that the RF 83 woofers are no longer available , since the  replacement RF -82 woofer shows identical specs .

- take out 1 of your RF-83 woofers and  compare it to these pictures for any difference .

klipsch_1011974-1.jpg

klipsch_1011974-2.jpg

I already have 2 of the RF-82 woofers in my RC-7, so I was able to use those to verify the fit, so no need to use a picture. Nowhere did I say the DCR of the RF-82 and RF-83 woofers was the same because it’s not…it was mentioned by the OP in the first post of this thread that the RF-83 uses 3 16 ohm woofers(which aren’t available anywhere) wired in parallel which would achieve an impedance of 5.33 ohms. Wiring 3 of the RF-82 8 ohm woofers in series/ parallel will also work out to 5.33 ohms, which should work well to replace the original woofers as there is no other(new)option to replace them. 

• Like 1

I have a great solution for those needing 8" RF-83 woofers.

I have 6 woofers...along with 2 horn drivers, 2 beautiful cherry cabinets, 2 crossovers, 6 ports, 8 speaker feet and two grills... conveniently packaged all together!  For the low low price of $1500 you can pick them up anytime in the 60511 zip code.

IMG_9326.jpg

IMG_9328.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9332.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9334.jpg

IMG_9335.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I have a great solution for those needing 8" RF-83 woofers.

I have 6 woofers...along with 2 horn drivers, 2 beautiful cherry cabinets, 2 crossovers, 6 ports, 8 speaker feet and two grills... conveniently packaged all together!  For the low low price of $1500 you can pick them up anytime in the 60511 zip code.

IMG_9326.jpg

IMG_9328.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9332.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9334.jpg

IMG_9335.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

Very tempting, those are mint!! The Barbara Miller signature edition too! 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Your best bet is to keep an eye open for online places such as eBay, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, USaudiomart, etc.  Occasionally you'll find a beat up pair of RF-83's that you can hopefully salvage for some good parts.  You can have your woofer and help other people out on the Forum with the remaining parts.

I saw a black pair locally a while back going for $600.  The cabinet was very well worn, most likely due to moving around a bunch...as these are 100lbs and therefore get banged up when people carelessly move them! (These will fit in the back seat of a Prius right?!?!?!)  However, most of the 8" drivers didn't have dents or creases in them.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...