Tips on putting Anderson (I think) window back in?

Coytee

We have what wife says are Anderson windows in living room.  She/we pulled them out.  We tilted inward and started to remove when we discovered there was a string attaching them to the window frame.

Long story short, it seems this string is attached to a spring INSIDE the left/right edges of the window.  This spring allows the window to feel very light & easy when you lower it.  The spring tension will help pull it right back up.

Only thing is....  when the windows were removed, the string gets cocked sideways and jams.  Took while to figure out what was going on and tried several ways of holding string out so it would fall into its proper place on the little wheel that guides it.

Was a fail.

I'm ready to put window back in and paint it shut....  wife wants to call Anderson and have someone come out to reinstall them (something I'm not yet ready for)

Anyone ever deal with these?  I'm guessing my description probably stinks.  If I get a picture, it will have to be tomorrow.

Attempted to remove the upper sash.  Seems it's really only made to lower & raise and not flat out remove.  The ensemble is currently "put together" so it's a closed window but, one of the windows will simply droop down as there's nothing holding it up (the springs).  I don't profess to be a window expert but I don't ever think I've seen a construct similar to this with the string & spring.

I have a field to (attempt to) cut today....  so will see what I can get done with camera.

I might have found my answer (instructions)  Though as I scan through them and recall what we went through last night, I still think I'm missing something.  None the less, we'll go through them one step at a time & see what happens.

https://www.andersenwindows.com/~/media/aw/files/technical-docs/service-guide/serviceguide-0005265.pdf

Those instructions should enable you to re-install the sashes?  Good luck.

Our Marvin windows are similar.  Perhaps these tips regarding Marvin will translate to Anderson.

To replace an upper sash, the strings need to be carefully manually pulled down in the jams until they catch.  I use a screwdriver or pliers to grip the metal piece at the end of the string.  If you let go before it catches in the jam it snaps forcefully back up.  Be careful.  Once caught in the lowered position, connect the left side of the bottom of the sash to the metal clip.  You present the sash at an angle with the right side higher than the left.  After the  left is snapped into the metal clip, lower the right side of the sash until it snaps into the metal clip.  Once the strings are attached to the bottom of the sash, you should be able to pivot the top of the sash into the jam.

From a quick perusal of the instructions you attached, the Anderson mechanism seems similar.  Just be careful.  The string springs are strong.

37 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The string springs are strong.

Yep, strong they are!

Last night, I pulled strings out and used some hemostats to clip onto them and hold them.....  but now the window won't fit the opening because the hemostats get in the way...